Blizz-ABS Bug and Suggestion Compilation

Started by winkio, April 21, 2010, 03:40:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

June 24, 2011, 12:33:50 pm #440 Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 08:21:01 pm by winkio
I can't really give you an accurate timeline.  It could be as soon as this weekend, or as late as the end of the year.  It is first on the list of features to add after the rewrite is complete.

EDIT: New feature, use your own images for beams, bars, HUD elements, and even the minimap!  Supports any size graphics.

Spoiler: ShowHide

JellalFerd

So Z-Hud is practically worthless now?
QuoteFrank says:
But obviously they put on that shirt on in the morning.
Hmmm..
Booty shirts are nice.
Depends on the girl.
Jellal says:
booty shirts
lolwut

Blizzard

Nope. Z-HUD still has some features that the normal HUD doesn't.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

JellalFerd

Oh well.
Looking forward to the new Blizz-ABS.
Oh yeah, for that "pick up and throw stuff" feature, will it include party members?
Because, that'd be cool. And also take away another feature XAS has that Blizz-ABS doesn't.

And hopefully a feature for move routes of the other actors in the party...if that's not asking for too much
QuoteFrank says:
Hmmm..
Booty shirts are nice.
Depends on the girl.
Jellal says:
booty shirts
lolwut

winkio

That's not going to be in this version, that will be in the next one.  Also, throwing party members is a simple gimmick that you could easily event it into your game, because I doubt anyone would use it more than a few places.  And you have to manage separating the party into two groups if they get separated.

JellalFerd

Next version?
Oh well, still looking forward to this one.
QuoteFrank says:
Hmmm..
Booty shirts are nice.
Depends on the girl.
Jellal says:
booty shirts
lolwut

winkio

yeah, the new features in this version are simply a product of bugfixes and refined code.  Basically, this version is going to improve what Blizz-ABS already has, and then the ones after will add in completely new features.  The rewrite had to be done at some point because there were simply too many conflicts and barriers to efficiently add new features.  Once it's done, the next versions should be released fairly quickly, assuming I have the time.

Blizzard

June 28, 2011, 04:53:37 pm #447 Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 04:54:44 pm by Blizzard
Yeah, the architecture I used may have been a bit better performance-wise in some cases, but it had a limit to how many features it could take before things started falling apart. I wanted to redo a lot of it myself, but I never had the time and eventually I retired. winkio's doing a great job with that now. :)

I can't wait to see what you did with the AI. The last time I saw it, it was one big monolithic chunk of code that could not really be separated. But at least it was quite fast compared to other AIs in complexity.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

June 28, 2011, 05:11:44 pm #448 Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 10:05:41 pm by winkio
I'm dividing it into 'Routines'.  Each routine runs entirely on its own with its own update frequency, so heavier routines won't update as often as lighter ones.  You can choose which routines get run and which don't, kind of like how attributes were before.  Also, it makes it easy for other scripters to make add-ons to the AI.

I also separated pathfinding out so that it can be used by any character in the game, which also cuts down on lag, because instead of each character running the pathfinding routine 4 times every frame, I can just let it run the routine something like 15 times a frame maximum for the entire map, so the game won't lag if you have 10 enemies chasing you.

EDIT:  :facepalm: just realized that the pathfinder already did that.  I put it in it's own class anyways.

Also, I'm on IRC a lot, so if you want to discuss Blizz-ABS, talk about bugs, features, how progress is going on the next version, or just hear me complain about code not working, just hop on.

EDIT2:  Sprite naming conventions are now a thing of the past!  Just choose the sprites you want to use for attacking, defending, skills, items, running, jumping, etc., or just use none at all!  Hopefully that should help keep your graphics folders a little more manageable.  With this feature completed, the script rewrite is halfway complete!  Of course, expect the config app and manual to take a good deal of time at the end, as a lot of changes are being made to the script.

Blizzard

winkio

July 02, 2011, 05:24:40 pm #450 Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 12:35:37 am by winkio
Actually, not halfway done.  This is the only time I'm going to rewrite the script, so when I see certain opportunities, I have to take them.  One of those opportunities requires pretty much redoing battlers from the ground up.

EDIT: An interesting thing has come up with pixel movement.  In default RMXP, the game runs on a grid where one object occupies one grid square, no exceptions.  Once you add in pixel movement, it becomes rectangles intersecting with rectangles.  The pixel movement from the old Blizz-ABS approximated the rectangles using a grid, but that created a few problems.  This time around, I'm looking to make a pixel movement system designed for rectangles.  Because there is no grid, you won't need a pixel rate setting any more - it will always be precise to a quarter of a screen pixel (RMXP's default precision).  It will also be fast, so no need to worry about lag or anything.  It also opens much better opportunities for custom geometry, gravity, etc. as plugins down the road.

EDIT2:  Pixel movement system complete!  No lag, smooth movements, and no compatibility losses.

Blizzard

JellalFerd

Does custom number of walk frames only retain to walking?
I thought it'd be pretty awesome if there could be no limits with animation frames for whatever sprite animation it's needed for.
QuoteFrank says:
Hmmm..
Booty shirts are nice.
Depends on the girl.
Jellal says:
booty shirts
lolwut

winkio

yeah, the custom frames will be for any character sprite for any action, from walking to jumping to attacking, etc.

JellalFerd

QuoteFrank says:
Hmmm..
Booty shirts are nice.
Depends on the girl.
Jellal says:
booty shirts
lolwut

G_G

dnasman

is this a bug or something, but if you set the different sprite in each Action Combo, the actor sprite in the will show the double sprite. like the one in screenshot below

i dunno is this a bug, but how can i get rid of the second sprite? it really annoys me lol

thnx
Sorry for the English XD

For all Indonesian RMers:
RPGMakerID
Indonesian RPG Maker Community

winkio

i dont remember if its a bug or if I did it intentionally, but regardless it will be fixed in the next version.

JellalFerd

I feel like this might be a stupid suggestion, but how about projectiles you can jump over?
QuoteFrank says:
Hmmm..
Booty shirts are nice.
Depends on the girl.
Jellal says:
booty shirts
lolwut