Decrypt of other people's projects - good or bad?

Started by Agckuu Coceg, April 21, 2010, 05:24:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Agckuu Coceg

April 21, 2010, 05:24:35 am Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 05:26:06 am by Agckuu Coceg
I think this topic is quite interesting.
We all know that all we can decrypt the projects of RPG Maker XP or VX. And almost all of us at least once did. The question is, what is more to it - good or bad? Here we will argue about this.

Good:
1) Fast learning.
That I can bring on my experience. When you do not really know how to implement some system events, it becomes a nightmare. Contact with other people sometimes awkward, and not everyone will respond. But if there is an encrypted project in which this system has already been implemented, why not take a peep and, like the other man was able to do this? And then you can, with their own brains, to bring the system to the level necessary to you. You can then create a similar system that increases your knowledge of eventing.
2) Ability to debug.
It happens sometimes. In particular, some projects may not operate some event-system or scripting system due clubhand bugs in the work. And if you are a professional and know how to do it, why not try?
3) Getting a new resource base.
What is the difference between the total theft of resources, which is "bad" and the replenishment of resources, I'll explain. I am an amateur artist, and I am working with databases (assuming charsets) and I bring them to mind, as I need. The more work that I may need in my work is in the database, the faster and more efficiently I can work. What's good for me, and for those for whom I work.

Bad:
1) Stealing other people's resources.
It is one thing - creating a database for someone else or you, another - a total appropriation of resources without the consent of the creator. What also happens, and quite often. Most people who can not or do not want a little treat resources to create a base project and shoved others. (RTP does not count). This is extremely bad for both sides. But some still arrogate to themselves the authorship of the work.
2) A simple cheating.
Well agree unpleasant when your work climb, not for correcting the problems, but simply to make it go faster. Although this is not the worst ... Some people just do not have enough time to pass.

So what? Your arguments - good or bad? Waiting for your answers.
I'm not retarded, but I'm busy. Sorry for patience.

Subsonic_Noise

Well, I'm still a bit tired, so I'm just going to express my point of view.
I'll kill whoever might dare decrypting endzeit to steal the music contained in it.

Blizzard

April 21, 2010, 05:56:43 am #2 Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 05:57:57 am by Blizzard
I say that nothing excuses the use of a decryptor. So as for the good points:

1) That sounds to me like pure laziness. If you always go the easy way, you will actually not learn. And it's cheating.
2) Sure, people make mistakes and all, but if somebody didn't care to test the game on critical bugs, then the game might not be even worth playing. Who knows where else the maker didn't care to put effort into it? And if they don't even care to fix the bug, then the game really isn't worth playing.
3) Again, pure laziness. On top you're stealing.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Valdred

1) Fast learning.
If the creator encrypted the project, then it is a reason for it. Eventing is, like everything else a lot of work, and you don't like it when people steal your stuff.

2) Ability to debug.
I agree with blizzard. If the creator didn't mind playtesting his game, the game is probably bad. Also, bugs can be reported to the creator, who probably still has an unencrypted version.

3) Getting a new resource base.
Where the stuff comes from should be in the game's credits. In other terms, if I have used public resources, found on the internet, checking the credits would be enough to find out where the stuff comes from, no decrypt needed. However, stealing especially made resources (like the stuff you made for me) that I actually paid for, is really really bad. They are not only ruining the game's originality, but also stealing the money/work the game-creator put into it.

Conclusion
Decrypting is bad, really bad. Always

WhiteRose

In my opinion, the only time it's okay to use a decrypter is on your own project, if you've somehow lost the original project files. It's never alright to decrypt other people's work; if they wanted to share their event systems or leave their game open for debugging, they would have distributed it unencrypted.

Blizzard

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: WhiteRose on April 21, 2010, 09:24:53 am
In my opinion, the only time it's okay to use a decrypter is on your own project, if you've somehow lost the original project files. It's never alright to decrypt other people's work; if they wanted to share their event systems or leave their game open for debugging, they would have distributed it unencrypted.

/topic

legacyblade

Quote from: WhiteRose on April 21, 2010, 09:24:53 am

I've had to do that many times  :^_^':

Agckuu Coceg

April 21, 2010, 11:29:20 pm #8 Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 11:32:54 pm by Agckuu Coceg
Subsonic_Noise, why is need decrypter, if RGSS not add music to RGSSAD? Unless of course, do not have a DREAM.  :???:

Valdred:

1) I agree to use another operating time is bad. But quite a few people spread of events for the public. And because no project can do without Event, other less knowledgeable people have or go to forums, or look into other projects. A first option is clearly not always valid ... I can tell by example.

At hbgames.org about a year ago I asked for the simplest system of events (well, then it seemed to me a complex). Due to the fact that I am using Google Translator to write messages, most replies just send me to HELL. After that I had studied several other's demos and found almost what I need, remaking the system to suit my requirements.
What gave me the wrong projects? For the year from almost ordinary NOOB, who's did not what is a variables really know, I can write without RPG Maker at hand rather powerful event system.

2) It can be. But not all of it comes. Also, since you can clearly unsubscribe problem and how to solve it.

3) Valdred, you confused what I said the third part of the good, that I pointed out in the first part of bad. I'm using a similar database for the creation of OWN resources, simply, this is simplimates my work. And not only me, I know at least half spriters-colorists, which have worked with that bases.

About decrypt own projects... Yes, I forgot about this. I just have always lie up in store, so I do not use decrypter to do this. But this is really helpful, especially if you have taken down all copies of the computer.

poxy

Quote from: Agckuu Coceg on April 21, 2010, 05:24:35 am
I think this topic is quite interesting.
We all know that all we can decrypt the projects of RPG Maker XP or VX. And almost all of us at least once did.

I knew it could be done, but I didn't know it was so common. I don't know how nor have i thought about to decrypting other work.

I'm against the idea because for one I've spent a lot of time creating resources and artwork for my project and am trying to credit all the resources used. The second reason would be that some of the events are implemented inelegantly and i would not appreciate it being scrutinized. For that matter as it's been pointed out the projects are encrypted for a reason. Lastly decrypting games just shows a lack of dedication to the creative process. What's the point of making something for others as well as yourself if you have to steal and/or take shortcuts. You would be lying to yourself that way.

The thought of looking through decrypted games for ideas of event implementation may not sound so bad, but not everyone capable of decrypting would stop themselves there.

Basically, there are a lot of resources provided and shared freely by the community, including scripts and event systems. So anything you can't obtain that way brings you to the darker side of game development.
My Project: ShowHide

Agckuu Coceg

April 22, 2010, 02:16:57 am #10 Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 02:18:05 am by Agckuu Coceg
Yes, I am too very against about this idea. Yes, I am too against the fact that someone used my own resources as their own. Of course, this is bad.
  But it's not as bad as it seems at first glance. If someone is used to use my works to create their own works, then I'll be glad of it, because I was able to give someone a motive for creativity.
  Why not? After all, things are not so much of hacking into other people's projects, but in fact, what projects are broken. If someone hacks into other people's work to self, then why not give him this chance? He will get new knowledge and be able to create their work based on others. Another matter if a person wants to get someone else's data in order to simply have them.

legacyblade

Quote from: Agckuu Coceg on April 22, 2010, 02:16:57 am
Yes, I am too against the fact that someone used my own resources as their own. Of course, this is bad.

But it's not as bad as it seems at first glance. If someone is used to use my works to create their own works, then I'll be glad of it, because I was able to give someone a motive for creativity.

I'm guessing your not the kind of person who spends 3 weeks on a CMS so it can be unique to your project.

Agckuu Coceg

April 22, 2010, 02:31:18 am #12 Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 02:37:08 am by Agckuu Coceg
Quote from: legacyblade on April 22, 2010, 02:25:39 am
Quote from: Agckuu Coceg on April 22, 2010, 02:16:57 am
Yes, I am too against the fact that someone used my own resources as their own. Of course, this is bad.

I'm guessing your not the kind of person who spends 3 weeks on a CMS so it can be unique to your project.

I'm kind to person who spread new CMS on this base, and said that he did so at its base. That's I'm doing.

By the way, I'm here see something ... Vgvgf yet released his encrypter complete with a decrypter. Thus, something changed ... Now RGSSAD can put the password, thus you can give it to the right people who want to use your resources, and the rest will happily use the game without breaking it.

legacyblade

I, as well as many others, produce resources to be used. However, we make some of our own privately for our projects. I hold no respect for people who steal resources this way. Blizzard produced countless scripts for the public, but he also made plenty of them only for use in his project. I have made a lot of sprites for the public, and have released a script (I'm working a couple more for public use), but I have a good deal that are for my project and my project only. Just because you're too lazy to put time into your own graphics or database doesn't mean it's ok to steal other people's. If you'd looked through the basic tutorials all around every site, you could have found out what variables were and how to event.

To sum it up: don't try to justify stealing because you can't figure it out or make it on your own. If you put the amount of effort into your project that most of the people who produce resources for countless ungreatful strangers on the internet (such as yourself), and then spend time making some for personal use, you would have a problem with people stealing your resource. If someone makes something for themselves, that doesn't make them selfish. I mean they're sharing the game itself with you, aren't they?

Agckuu Coceg

Excellent arguments.

I never justify theft. It's bad when you steal resources. I'll create the resources myself and I would certainly get angry if someone used my resources as their own. I am against it.
But simply, many people consider me a thief, but I just use other people's work for my modifications.

Indeed, many unknown people, as I try to find something in the world... I found my way to express yourself in the improvement of others' works. I do not create a new world. I just improve the old one.

legacyblade

Quote from: Agckuu Coceg on April 22, 2010, 02:55:16 am
But simply, many people consider me a thief, but I just use other people's work for my modifications.

Indeed, many unknown people, as I try to find something in the world... I found my way to express yourself in the improvement of others' works. I do not create a new world. I just improve the old one.

Photoshoping the mona lisa doesn't make it your own work. It's still stealing. Either use free resources or get off your lazy butt and put the time into making things from scratch.

Agckuu Coceg

Under the same concept is the use of RTP.

And why not? If I go and change the Mona Lisa, painted and change her hair, changed her eye color and slightly corrected the face and placing it on a different background, is not going to be like my own work, even a little?

legacyblade

The RTP is a style of artwork. Like deformed manga, or chibi. And no, painting some stuff on top of the mona lisa doesn't make it your own. It means you wanted credit for something good, but lacked the skill to make it yourself. Face it, you're just a lazy a***.

Agckuu Coceg

Quote from: legacyblade on April 22, 2010, 03:13:42 am
The RTP is a style of artwork. Like deformed manga, or chibi. And no, painting some stuff on top of the mona lisa doesn't make it your own. It means you wanted credit for something good, but lacked the skill to make it yourself. Face it, you're just a lazy a***.

I'm not lazy. I simply have not enough time, plus I used to do everything quickly.

Well, suppose that the Mona Lisa would fail. Now imagine the same Mona Lisa, but as a charset in RTP style. What would happen if it did all the same actions?

legacyblade

Quotenot lazy. I simply have not enough time, plus I used to do everything quickly.

Ya, that's called being lazy. "I don't have time to get up and make a sandwich, do it for me mommy!"

Frankenspriting is fine if you use free resources. Modifying is fine if you use free resources. Taking a non-public resource and modifying it is completely different.

Using modified open source code in your own application is fine. (though you should give credit). Hacking Microsoft to get the source code for it's programs and using bits of that in your own project? That is stealing. It's the same with the RTP sprites. If you don't have time to make your own stuff (aka, are too lazy too) then use free resources.