[COMPLETED] KALEIDOFLY

Started by This Side Backwards, September 07, 2010, 01:20:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

This Side Backwards

September 07, 2010, 01:20:32 am Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 08:18:40 pm by This Side Backwards

KALEIDOFLY [COMPLETED!]

KALEIDOFLY is a simple game where the player moves a fly around the screen to collect blossoms in an attempt to fill the power gauge. Each blossom has it's own varying value as well as movement patterns. The player must also maneuver around moving obstacles in order to survive. These obstacles come in multiple colours, each moving at a different speed. The player, however, is not alone as there are smaller flies that act as scapegoats. Every time the player is damaged, a smaller fly dies until there are no more, in which case, the player loses.

The game consists of four levels, each containing five stages. Each set of stages is be centered around a certain shape which makes up both the background and the moving obstacles. Each of these sets gets progressively harder and can only be unlocked after the completion of other simpler ones.

As the fly, your main goal is to fill the power gauge on the right side of the screen (see screenshots). To do this, you must collect blossoms which come in different forms:

Green: These blossoms do not move but have the smallest value.
    Pink: These blossoms move in a random fashion and have a moderate value.
    Purple: These blossoms move away from the player and have the highest value.
    Small Fly: These small flies move in a random fashion. Picking them up will add an extra fly to your group essentially adding a life. There can, however, be no more than three. You can differentiate these flies from those that are already yours by the fact that they change colour slightly as they move. Collecting small flies will not fill the power gauge.

Yellow Obstacles: These are the slowest obstacles, however, they are also the hardest to see. Watch out as they may sneak up on you!
    Pink Obstacles: These are moderately quickly moving obstacles, but are easier to see.
    Blue Obstacles: These are fast moving obstacles, beware as they can easily cut you off your path.

Be aware of the darkness of each shape, some may be hiding behind another, causing double or more damage if they hit you!

Small Flies: Small flies will join you if you collect them from the field. They will follow you around and even aid you by stunning obstacles if they feel that they are in peril. You will lose a fly for every time you get hit by an obstacle so watch out! Small flies themselves, however, cannot be damaged by moving obstacles.

Movement: Arrow Keys OR W,A,S,D
    Select: Space OR Enter
    Cancel: C or Esc
    Save: P (Only in the main menu)

Main Menu
Spoiler: ShowHide

Ellipses

Rectangles

Triangles

Lines

Gameplay Gif

KALEIDOFLY: http://www.mediafire.com/?qwwzxyvfzkq818u

Design and Graphics: THIS SIDE BACKWARDS (Me!) thissidebackwards.cz.cc
    Blizz ABS and Z-HUD: Blizzard http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1
    Music: Kevin Macloed incompetech.com

WhiteRose

Calintz

That's what I thought when I first saw this project. I didn't know what to say, so I didn't ... Lol.
But I must admit. Feel aside, the concept is very refreshing.

This Side Backwards

September 08, 2010, 01:04:26 am #3 Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 01:27:45 am by This Side Backwards
Finished the game!

Added all three new levels: Rectangles, Triangles and Lines (which I must say is really tough).
Fixed an 8 way sprite bug on the WASD control scheme.
Fixed saving and blossoms appearing in unobtainable places after loading a game.

The current download link is only temporary until mediafire gets back up and running. Done!

Enjoy!
Oh, and does this now qualify to be moved into the normal projects folder?

Karltheking4

This Side Backwards

Added a quick gameplay gif to give you a better idea of how it works, it may play faster than the actual game does though.

Also re-fixed the saving and double checked this time. Thanks for all the awesome comments so far!

Subsonic_Noise

I love you so much for making this game. I can express how kuch I like games with abstract graphic styles, especially if they are as psychedelic a this.
I just decided that I will play this game stoned and then report back.

This Side Backwards

September 20, 2010, 06:42:36 pm #7 Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 06:37:49 pm by This Side Backwards
I hate having to bump, but I could I please have this project moved to the "Projects/Games" folder as it is a completed game?
:: Thanks Blizz!