Request: RMX-OS Global Switches and variables edit

Started by Wizered67, April 28, 2010, 09:04:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizered67

Hi, I'm Wizered67 and this is my first request.

Right now, the global switches and variables script for rmxos is really good and works great. There is just one feature its missing that I really want. Being able to have a global variable equal a string. Now, this might not seem very useful, but it could allow event systems that store another players username as a global variable.

Ex. (for the record, this isnt what I want it for)
You've made a player owned house system where players can one of 3 houses in the game. You can also visit other players houses. Using a global variable as a string equal to the player that owns that house's username, you could put a sign outside saying
"Player \v[]'s house" where the \v[] is the global variable equal to their username. The scripts I am using are
Spoiler: ShowHide
Default Scripts
Gameover script by Jackolas
Tons of Addons
RMX-OS Options
RMX-OS script
Global switches and variables for RMX-OS
ATES
ATES RMX-OS Pluggin
Mouse Controller
RMX-OS Main

thanks in advnce

G_G

To set a variable to a string use this in a script call.
$game_variables[variable id here] = "string name"

I'll look into setting it to an actual player name later. I'm not too familiar with rmx-os so you might need help from someone else.

Wizered67

I have tried. Its always equal to 0 even when I do that though. (it works when it isnt a global variable though)

edit: also, I already know (i think) how to set it to a players name. It just doesnt work.

Blizzard

The script doesn't allow transmitting of strings, it only transmits variables. Using strings in a variable is hacking after all and RMX-OS supports RMXP, not hacks.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Wizered67

so, is there some sort of way I could script this?

Blizzard

You'd need to edit both the client plugin and the server extension.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.