[XP] The Dimension Adventures

Started by lonely_cubone, April 29, 2010, 10:36:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Shining Riku

June 04, 2010, 10:29:12 pm #140 Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 10:53:06 pm by Shining Riku
Thank you! ^_^

It's the first time I really REALLY had fun spriting stuff. Usually I'm just doing it because it needs to be done, but I got a kick outta it this time : / lol figure that out.

It just felt really rewarding this time ^_^

BTW Finished The Little Humphis' defending sprites and i'm working on his attacking too. I woulda finished earlier but my computer acts up on me when doing people's requests, and it erased my work when I finished the down facing row for attacking (don't worry I got the row finished again) I was just so annoyed though I had to take a break >_< I should have his sprites finished tomorrow though. I promise to make it happen. :D

lonely_cubone

Quote from: Shining Riku on June 04, 2010, 10:29:12 pm
Thank you! ^_^

It's the first time I really REALLY had fun spriting stuff. Usually I'm just doing it because it needs to be done, but I got a kick outta it this time : / lol figure that out.

It just felt really rewarding this time ^_^

BTW Finished The Little Humphis' defending sprites and i'm working on his attacking too. I woulda finished earlier but my computer acts up on me when doing people's requests, and it erased my work when I finished the down facing row for attacking (don't worry I got the row finished again) I was just so annoyed though I had to take a break >_< I should have his sprites finished tomorrow though. I promise to make it happen. :D

Thanks, I'm excited to see the sprites. But if, for whatever reason, you don't finish them by tomorrow, that's just fine too. Still, I'd prefer them sooner than later ;)

Shining Riku

June 05, 2010, 02:06:24 pm #142 Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 02:17:39 pm by Shining Riku
I've finished The Little Humphis' defend and attacking sprites.

What I did, is I made an album on Photobucket solely for sprite requests and such, so i'm going to link you to it. I also put the soldier sprites in it, so it's basically an accessible online folder.

If there's anybody else seeing this that wants to use any sprites, ask me for permission first. I think I can password the album so I may do that.

Here's the link: http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn118/ShiningRiku/Sprite%20Requests/

EDIT: I passworded my albums so people can't automatically look at my work. You guys have to ask me for permission first before i'll give you the password. I'm just trying to protect my work is all guys so no hard feelings  :^_^': If you wanna look at it or use any of it, just ask me for the password. If it's used I need to know which sprites. I'm fine with them being used so long as they aren't stolen IE; claimed as your own. One of the sheets there actually isn't mine but just there to show some of my other friends what I've got for my games.

Anyways, Cubone, I sent ya the password already :D

The Niche

Just to clarify what I meant by marking the exits, i mean don't let the player near any other map edges. Use undulations, water, whatever. But it seriously makes your maps look very bad if you don't. And it makes people think you're lazy cos they're expecting touching map edges to transfer them.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

lonely_cubone

Quote from: The Niche on June 05, 2010, 04:09:12 pm
Just to clarify what I meant by marking the exits, i mean don't let the player near any other map edges. Use undulations, water, whatever. But it seriously makes your maps look very bad if you don't. And it makes people think you're lazy cos they're expecting touching map edges to transfer them.

Oh, okay. That's actually not what I thought you meant. I can do that. Thanks :haha:

Shining Riku

Yeah, closing off the sides of the maps like Niche suggested should make your maps look fantastic!

Just curious, how's the game coming along?

lonely_cubone

I haven't made much progress plot-wise, but I've been adding to what's already in the demo (the current maps, the eventing, the sprites [as they come in or I find them], etc). I'll probably upload it again once I have everything up until that point exactly how I want it ;)

Also, I got a bunch of action sprites from Riku today (for the Little Humphis and the two types of guards), and they look great. They'll be in the next version of the demo.

Shining Riku

The fights are real fun when the enemies and characters are animated, aren't they? :D

lonely_cubone

Quote from: Shining Riku on June 06, 2010, 12:25:50 pm
The fights are real fun when the enemies and characters are animated, aren't they? :D

Yeah, it's much more interesting! It almost looks like a real game ;)

Shining Riku

Subsonic_Noise

Good Day dear Sir,
I played your game (at least a part of it) and will give you some feedback before I go to sleep.
First of, nice concept, I like it. There's much potential in this. Though, there are two major flaws that stopped me from continueing. First of, the gameplay. When I started the game, I was left with no hints at what to do. Of course, I did what every moderately experienced gamer would do and eventually found the shadewalker, but I was left without motivation and reason to do so. I think you need to guide the player a bit. Easiest method: The little whatever (can't be bothered looking the name up, I'm tired) could tell his pickle where he wants to go today. Alternately, you could make him chase and animal or something. Just make sure the player always has a motivation to do what he has to do, or people will stop playing your game sooner or later.
Secondly, the music. Some of it was okay, but the first theme to come up when you started playing... it was almost physically painful to listen to, sorry. You might want to find someone to fix it for you or atleast learn some basic harmonic theory, but please don't leave it like this, it's the reason why I had to close the game after 10 minutes. If there is no other way, I could help you out with music. Just don't ruin your otherwise potentially good game with this. Please. xD

lonely_cubone

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on June 06, 2010, 05:11:28 pm
Good Day dear Sir,
I played your game (at least a part of it) and will give you some feedback before I go to sleep.
First of, nice concept, I like it. There's much potential in this. Though, there are two major flaws that stopped me from continueing. First of, the gameplay. When I started the game, I was left with no hints at what to do. Of course, I did what every moderately experienced gamer would do and eventually found the shadewalker, but I was left without motivation and reason to do so. I think you need to guide the player a bit. Easiest method: The little whatever (can't be bothered looking the name up, I'm tired) could tell his pickle where he wants to go today. Alternately, you could make him chase and animal or something. Just make sure the player always has a motivation to do what he has to do, or people will stop playing your game sooner or later.
Secondly, the music. Some of it was okay, but the first theme to come up when you started playing... it was almost physically painful to listen to, sorry. You might want to find someone to fix it for you or atleast learn some basic harmonic theory, but please don't leave it like this, it's the reason why I had to close the game after 10 minutes. If there is no other way, I could help you out with music. Just don't ruin your otherwise potentially good game with this. Please. xD

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that it's hard to tell what to do at the beginning. I'll try to guide the player more, but the point is that it's a complete co-incidence that the Little Humphis meets the Shade Walker, so I don't want to do anything really drastic. I realize that the music at the beginning is really annoying, it's supposed to be. It only plays for the first 30 seconds of the game (although I guess it's probably longer since it's hard to figure out what to do), and the music is completely different when you go back there. I also realize that I don't know any music theory, so I am also constantly trying to improve my music. But that one particular piece is supposed to be like that.

The Niche

When game music annoys me, I mute it. You're right about the general cluelessness at the start though. Cube, what she's saying about random little things to lead the little humphis to the shade walker is a very good idea. I believe your original concept was that he was going to visit Grabnam?
Another thought which kinda ties in with this is that the pickle actually talks back to him (or he imagines it does). You could have a button that makes him ask his pickle for a hint, or a similar hint system to that used in lexima where the pickle is an item that you use to activate the hint common event.
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: The Niche on June 06, 2010, 05:34:36 pm
When game music annoys me, I mute it. You're right about the general cluelessness at the start though. Cube, what she's saying about random little things to lead the little humphis to the shade walker is a very good idea. I believe your original concept was that he was going to visit Grabnam?
Another thought which kinda ties in with this is that the pickle actually talks back to him (or he imagines it does). You could have a button that makes him ask his pickle for a hint, or a similar hint system to that used in lexima where the pickle is an item that you use to activate the hint common event.

i agree with what you suggested, though I do noz mute games. Music is a necessary and important part of the game, and one without I cannot play. If a game's music sucks, well, then it'll have one player less. Also, as I said, the music wasn't just annoying, it was painful to my ears. And trust me, I was looking through the midis in the audio folder afterwards and the other version wasn't really better. There are so many good musicians out there - why don't you go to newgrounds and find some fitting music there?

lonely_cubone

Yeah, you're probably right. I'll find somebody else's music eventually, but for now, I'm going to keep working on other parts of the game.

The Niche

Tis debatable. I say we solve this honorably!

*Takes out bitch slapping gloves*

...oops, I meant let's take this to the general discussion forums! Anyway, Cube if you want really annoying music, try the pokemon music. That's where i got my auto-mute tendencies.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: The Niche on June 07, 2010, 07:51:02 am
Tis debatable. I say we solve this honorably!

*Takes out bitch slapping gloves*

...oops, I meant let's take this to the general discussion forums! Anyway, Cube if you want really annoying music, try the pokemon music. That's where i got my auto-mute tendencies.

I strongly dissagree on that. The pokemon music is beautiful most of the time, the problem is just the virtual instruments on the game boy, since they are really hard to work with. I once took a midi of the original pokemon battle theme and used some noce vst synths on it, and the outcome bas epic, especialpy the basslines, which are barely audible in the original music.
If you want to do annoying music... eh, just don't do it. Just don't want annoyance to be the first thing the player experiences. I think some overly happy music would fit much better here.

The Niche

The crazier the better. (I'm agreeing with Sub? I really am going crazy!)

lonely_cubone

Okay. I actually did read a couple basic music theory tutorials online, and I'll try using stuff from them rather than just random notes that I try until they sound like something. Just wondering, what did you think of the other music? Was it any better?

Lobstrosity

This game looks really great! I'll be looking at your demo shortly. And Shining Riku, awesome spriting. This will turn out as a really good game! I can't wait to see the finished product.  ;)
Don't come any closer. I'm armed... with SCIENCE!