[XP/VX?] Enemy Close BGM

Started by Jragyn, May 01, 2010, 01:23:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jragyn

Is it possible for either XP or VX to play two BMG's simultaneously?
A prime example is in the dothack series...
Where (as far as my mind can wrap around it) the game seems to play two variations of a near identical theme for any given map the player is on.
It plays a docile/calm-ish theme when your just wandering around exploring or whatever, but when an enemy draws near, it kicks into a more upbeat...or more intense version of the same song.

Here, if you'd like an example of two music soundtrax to HEAR the difference to understand what I'm talking about:
http://bluelaguna.net/downloads/mp3s/sforceneocollection/21+Dark+Castle.mp3
http://bluelaguna.net/downloads/mp3s/sforceneocollection/22+Dark+Castle+-+Battle.mp3
(also feel free to hit up the site if your in search of quality gaming music :] )

But umm...yeah. If its possible to script, or even do this via events, then please tell me, 'cuz I can't figure it out.
If this script is possible, it'd likely only really have a purpose in an ABS styled system like Blizz-ABS anyways.

So, hopefully, someone can get back to me with gratuitous amounts of answers.

--JeR
A bright light can either illuminate or blind, but how will you know which until you open your eyes?

Aqua

Um...
From what I got from your description, it doesn't play another song simultaneously; it just plays another song.

Jragyn

X_X well, when the first song gets quiet, the second song kicks in and its supposed to sound like the current BGM got violent, or intense. Its hard to explain without being able to display...oh!
When they put together a soundtrack for dot.hack, they only released one song for each field instead of two, because they just switched back and forth instead of...ack, does this make any sense?

Ahha!
Here, try this:
http://bluelaguna.net/downloads/mp3s/hackgame/10+-+stage01.mp3

Listen to the first 50 seconds of the song, and when it hits about 52 seconds, the beat speeds up.
Ingame, you never reach this increase of intensity unless there are enemies nearby.
When all enemies are defeated or you manage to get away, then the beat returns to the calm pace.

I feel accomplished in being able to hopefully explain something so...retarded? lol.

--JeR
A bright light can either illuminate or blind, but how will you know which until you open your eyes?

poxy

One thing you could maybe do, say you're composing your own music, is write the exploring BGM and then make a second sound file with the up beat elements (such as more drums and rythym) and play that as a BGS when nearing an enemy. But then you'd probably need to synch it anyhow... leading back to the first problem.

The other thing would be to switch songs since they sound pretty similar... just add a fade quick fade out BGS and then start the battle BGM. Manually put in a fade to both BGMs.
Maybe that could work?
My Project: ShowHide

Subsonic_Noise

You set the second, upbeat version as the BGS, with a volume of 0. When the enemy comes near, you lower the volume of the BGM and let the BGS fade in. You could use a modified version of Ryex' Dynamic Sound Sources script.

Jragyn

:O

Of course, BGS!
Hadn't...thought of that. lol.
I think that may work!

Thank yu kindly.

Valdred

I'm pretty sure you can use
@some_random_name = Game_System
@some_random_name.bgm_play

Not sure though.

Starrodkirby86

This might interest you. modern algebra made a script for RPG Maker VX that changes BGM as you go to a certain area.

It's probably not what you're exactly looking for, unless enemy locations are static and not moving (Or within a general area)...A compromise is a compromise though :V:

http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,1437.0.html

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).