Favorite Books?

Started by Diokatsu, May 01, 2010, 06:19:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Diokatsu

Come and tell me some of your favorite books. I'll post mine in a bit, but I want to comment on a few other people first.

Subsonic_Noise

Well, my only favourite book that people here might recognise (I read most of the others in german and thus don't know the english title) is 'Blindness', and I loved it, especially the unusual (though difficult) style that actually gave me the impression to be blind myself while reading. Anyone who read this as well will know what I'm talking about.
Haven't found too many books I feel like reading in english in the last months though, but I'm sure I'll find something I like when more people post here.

One of the books I'm reading right now, "Demian", is very promising and could be another favourite book.

Also, I started reading a biography of Nietzsche, a series of letters by schopenhauer as well as some books about psychology, especially on the topic of dreams as it fascinates me. Those are great, though hard to read as well (especially the letters by schopenhauer)

Though I don't want to appear like I only read tha kind of books xD I read alot of books only made for entertainment as well, only that I don't concider those my favourites.

Will post again tomorrow when it isn't after midnight.

winkio

Speaker for the Dead.  Orson Scott Card is the man.

Diokatsu

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on May 01, 2010, 06:38:27 pm
Well, my only favourite book that people here might recognise (I read most of the others in german and thus don't know the english title) is 'Blindness', and I loved it, especially the unusual (though difficult) style that actually gave me the impression to be blind myself while reading. Anyone who read this as well will know what I'm talking about.
Haven't found too many books I feel like reading in english in the last months though, but I'm sure I'll find something I like when more people post here.

One of the books I'm reading right now, "Demian", is very promising and could be another favourite book.

Also, I started reading a biography of Nietzsche, a series of letters by schopenhauer as well as some books about psychology, especially on the topic of dreams as it fascinates me. Those are great, though hard to read as well (especially the letters by schopenhauer)

Though I don't want to appear like I only read tha kind of books xD I read alot of books only made for entertainment as well, only that I don't concider those my favourites.

Will post again tomorrow when it isn't after midnight.

I'll have to try Blindness.

Quote from: winkio on May 01, 2010, 07:29:04 pm
Speaker for the Dead.  Orson Scott Card is the man.

Ender's Game was actually good, and I really dislike Sci-Fi as a genre most of the time.

Some of my favorites are As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner, Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, Dubliners by James Joyce (which I read a couple months back for my term paper and was really, really, really impressed by), Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (favorite book ever), Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov, The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky and Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, and plus the epic poems The Odyssey by Homer, The Aeneid of Virgil, and The Epic of Gilgamesh translated by Andrew George.

I'm going to try and read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, Ulysses by Jame Joyce and Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy this summer, the first being my choice and the last two being recommendations from my English teacher. I may try and fit in To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf and On the Road by Jack Kerouac.

Tell me if you want to know about any of the books I mentioned.

Fantasist

I'm not much of a book reader and I've only tries fiction, mostly.

I've read many of Michael Crichton's novels and I loved many of them .Jurassic park, Lost World, State of Fear, Disclosure, Prey, Sphere and Timeline are the ones I particularly liked, the others were OK.

And all of Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes books.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

vvalkingman

May 02, 2010, 02:03:43 am #5 Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 02:22:34 am by winkio
Ender's game is definently on my list :) didn't like where the series went after that...but hey that's just me. The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher is fantastic, that guy has a good humor to him ;) H. P. Lovecraft wrote some interesting works, though i decided after a few sentences not to read any further because I discovered that he and I came up with the exact same conclusions about light vs darkness and the supernatural...it was alittle unsettling. I will admit that it has been a long time since I picked up and read a book, but back in my high school days I was obsessed with english literature. Shakespeare, William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway, Mark Twain, etc etc. What I read these days, and I know it's not the same thing but I felt like it was worth mentioning, is manga. I couldn't tell you the countless times I read through manga while troubleshooting a guy's wireless connection over the phone lol Something I read recently and I highly recommend to anyone debating about pursuing wild dreams or interested in the process of writing stories and developing ideas is Bakuman(http://www.onemanga.com/Bakuman/) the first 37 chapters. After I read that it got me all fired up again haha just throwing it out there ;)

EDIT:  Ayn Rand is a great author and atlas shrugged is a FANTASTIC book, you'll love it trust me  a few that I forgot to mention that I liked were 1984 by George Orwell, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, and Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Dystopia type stories similar in thought process as atlas shrugged. Pretty good reads, Fahrenheit 451 actually helped me think up another idea for a game that I'll throw out at some point

no double posting so soon, just use the modify button to edit your post  -winkio

Subsonic_Noise

So, is this thread dead?
If not, I'd like to know about As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner. I heard alot of confusing stuff about that book, and actually don't remember any of it.

Diokatsu

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on May 08, 2010, 10:53:31 am
So, is this thread dead?
If not, I'd like to know about As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner. I heard alot of confusing stuff about that book, and actually don't remember any of it.

As I Lay Dying is creepy and almost haunting, with dark humor abound if you're keen enough to look for it. It can be confusing with multiple narrators and since Faulkner uses vernacular to some extent to talk about his subject.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Diokatsu on May 08, 2010, 01:20:17 pm
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on May 08, 2010, 10:53:31 am
So, is this thread dead?

As I Lay Dying is creepy and almost haunting, with dark humor abound if you're keen enough to look for it. It can be confusing with multiple narrators and since Faulkner uses vernacular to some extent to talk about his subject.

Sounds like a perfect book for me. *adds to list*

Blizzard

I liked Edgar Allen Poe's stuff and I recommend it. His characters are kinda insane and at the same time you feel totally connected to them.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Subsonic_Noise

I could recommend so many good books, but nearly all of them are german. :/ Like "Der Richter und sein Henker" or "Die Physiker" by Friedrich Dürrematt. I don't know if they have been translated to english, but they both are very awesome.

Also, yes, Edgar Allen Poe is good.

Blizzard

I've read once a Croatian book that was good, but same as you, I don't think there are any English translations.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

poxy

The Stranger by Albert Camus
Candide by Voltaire
Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
The Dark Tower series, The Long Walk, The Running Man by Stephen King
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
1984, Animal farm by George Orwell
Charles Bukowski's books...

Also a fan of a lot of Sci-Fi, in particular Isaac Asimov's Foundation and Robot series, Philip K. Dick's Do Android's Dream of Electric sheep? and A scanner Darkly among others, also some of Micheal Chrichton's and Stephen Baxter's books.

I remember hearing about Blindness I'll have to read it sometime.
My Project: ShowHide

Jalm

Discworld.

All of it.

You are not a true nerd until you've read at least one.

Diokatsu

Candide is an awesome book actually. It's so funny.

Ryex

Quote from: Blizzard on May 08, 2010, 01:27:47 pm
I liked Edgar Allen Poe's stuff and I recommend it. His characters are kinda insane and at the same time you feel totally connected to them.

I'm related to Poe, we're like 7th cousins once removed or something. my grandmother looked into it we are also related to lady Diane too apparently, close enough that my grandmother expected to receive a invitation to her wedding. Never happened though. I bet the relation isn't very close at all and my grandmother was just being her persnickety self.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

impulszero

I'm not much of a book reader. I actually readed only a few books. With thst said:

-A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin is my favorite book. I dare to say it's the best too ^_^ (just ignore second line. its my opinion :p)
-Sword Of Shadows by Julie Victoria Jones is another greath book that i fall in love with.
-Books by Terry Pratchett are all cool to but i must say i most liked Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
-This book dont exist in english but it is one of my favorites so: Kad su cvetale tikve by Dragoslav Mihajlovic (roughly: When they flowered pumpkins). Its story about young Boxer after second World War (its Tragic/Drama :P). This is only book that i like and its not fantasy :P.
<br /><br />Order is for idiots, Genius can handle Chaos.

fugibo

Quote from: Diokatsu on May 01, 2010, 09:07:08 pm
Some of my favorites are As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner, Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, Dubliners by James Joyce (which I read a couple months back for my term paper and was really, really, really impressed by), Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (favorite book ever), Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov, The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky and Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, and plus the epic poems The Odyssey by Homer, The Aeneid of Virgil, and The Epic of Gilgamesh translated by Andrew George.

I'm going to try and read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, Ulysses by Jame Joyce and Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy this summer, the first being my choice and the last two being recommendations from my English teacher. I may try and fit in To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf and On the Road by Jack Kerouac.

i could totally take that seriously if you hadn't listed catcher in the rye

On the Road (and pretty much all Beat stuff) is actually good, you should also check out William S. Burroughs if you're actually being serious.

Diokatsu

Quote from: fugibo on July 23, 2010, 11:43:52 am
Quote from: Diokatsu on May 01, 2010, 09:07:08 pm

i could totally take that seriously if you hadn't listed catcher in the rye

On the Road (and pretty much all Beat stuff) is actually good, you should also check out William S. Burroughs if you're actually being serious.

Because Catcher in the Rye isn't an American classic and one of the most influential books of the century or anything.

G_G

I'm a child
Cirque Du Freak series by Darren Shan
Demonata series by Darren Shan