College...

Started by Ryex, May 02, 2010, 10:19:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

I WAS excited... Now i'm a nervous...
I went down to Las Cruses New Mexico to register for classes at NMSU this weekend. the experience was... strange... for one thing the system in which the classes were organised was clearly well though out but, well, it only made vague sense to me and the people that they had helping us made it clear that it was OUR responsibility to get the right classes. now don't get me wrong, that is a good thing but it was well strange to think that my education was now almost entirely in my hands.
in short, I'm one of the biggest procrastinators in existence. I've had all the requirement to become a eagle scout (BSA's highest award) for about two and a half years but I put off finishing the eagle scout service project till , well, today. one month from my 18 birth day, the cut off for when I can complete and earn the eagle scout award.
I don't want to be part of that huge % of people who drop out of college in their first two years, but i'm a prim example of the type of person who dose.
In short i'm not sure if i'm capable of the level of responsibility that is necessary to complete and be successful in college.
and that thought is scary...
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

winkio

Now I don't know the particulars of your university, but they should have an advising staff, and they should have already put you in contact with someone.  If not, email the head of a department that you are interested in and ask them for the contact information of someone that can help advise you.

Ryex

Ya they do have an advising department as well as  academic advisors ect. and I will most definitely use thous services, but I worried that next year i'll get back from all my classes at noon and just slack off, not do my assignment until the last minute, ect. and I KNOW that that kind of work ethic is a path to failure.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

winkio

Don't worry, you will learn.  Do problem sets for math/science with your friends, and try and get rough drafts done early on papers.  Also, there's a buffer zone the first semester of freshman year at pretty much all colleges to help you adjust.  Just be confident and be aggressive :)