Terrain Tags Tutorial

Started by darklight, March 02, 2008, 01:10:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

darklight

They're built into RMXP, but I have no clue what they do. I suppose scripters can use them to specify what affects certain tiles, but what can you do with them using events, or just having the different numbers set?

Specifically, I'm looking for a way to automatically have stairs slow down the player (and possibly even cancel out dash), like in Secret of Mana. Another possible application would be to slow the player down for marshland tiles. Also, it would be cool if you can attach a SE to certain tiles. Like a squicky sound with the marshland tiles example.

You know... you *walk walk walk* and hear *squish squish squish*

Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance for anyone's help!  ;D

The demo release has been pushed back. In the meantime, you can check out my resources thread.
I'm also working on the project site - stay tuned for a launch very soon!

Blizzard

You can actually do that with common events. And yes, the terrain tags are supposed to make stuff like that possible without using scripts.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Sally

how do eventers use terran tags?

Blizzard

You can store a player's or another event's terrain tag into a variable and check the value of this variable in a conditional branch. To set a vairable to a terrain tag you have the option "Character" and then change the "Map X" in the right dropdown box simply to "Terrain tag".

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Sally

what would we be able to do then?

Blizzard

Slippy floors for instance. Or terrain that slows you down. You can also make a custom encounter system that will launch battles against different enemies on different terrain tags. This would be useful for world maps for example.

Fantasist

Quotehear *squish squish squish*

Reminds me of pokemon a lot.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Zeriab

Here is an example usage of Terrain Tags. It is a custom encounter system. (Like Blizz said ^^)

http://zeriab.plesk3.freepgs.com/index.php?dir=events/&file=EncounterEventStuff.rar

I believe I also used terrain tags for my Boulder Pushing experiment:

http://zeriab.plesk3.freepgs.com/index.php?dir=events/&file=Boulder%20Pushing%20Example.rar

darklight

Thanks Zeriab! The custom encounter system will really come in handy. :P

The demo release has been pushed back. In the meantime, you can check out my resources thread.
I'm also working on the project site - stay tuned for a launch very soon!

Calintz

I didn't really understand either of those demos...