The rpg academy

Started by The Niche, May 07, 2010, 04:24:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Subsonic_Noise

Now, Do you want me to do a passage about music? I'd like to know if I'm part of this now or not.

The Niche

Subsonic, welcome to the team! We just have to wait for Professor Plot to manufacture a story and then we can get started. Your job title shall be...Mr. Music! I dunno, what's your specialty?
Riku, how good are you with events? As in, can you come up with systems or are you a teacher of the basics?
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Subsonic_Noise

Well, I won't teach people to write music, since I think that's something everyone has to discover for himself, but rather how to use sounds, BGS and BGM in the right way, be it to create a certain athmosphere or support an existing one.

The Niche

SBR: Sorry, didn't see your post. Welcome aboard, anyone who can teach scripting is more than more than welcome. You might have to fight it out with Riku for eventing.
Subsonic: Naturally. Music is an art. I meant, do you want to do bgs, bgm, me, se, or all four?
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

lonely_cubone

K, I've got something. It's not closely related to either the spoon or the paintbrush, but they're both in it.

A man named Boz has long taught willing students the art of creating worlds, sometimes referred to as "games", using a powerful type of magic called Really Magical Expert Powers (RMXP). Boz teaches students to use RMXP to create these games. Actually, Boz has many professors working for him, who each teach a certain type of RMXP magic, each of which requires the use of a powerful magical object. For example, Mr./Mrs. Mapper teaches students to create landscapes using a magical paintbrush, and Mr. Event teaches students to make event systems with a spoon (because spoons are just that awesome). At the end, Boz does the final test to see if the students have passed and are capable of properly wielding the magic of RMXP.

How does that sound? It's not as interesting, and it obviously still requires a bit of tweaking, but it should work.

SBR*

@The Niche: Ty! I can't wait to start!

@cubone: I like the new name of RMXP! Do you play as a student or Boz? I hope a student :P. And let's combine everything: One plot is the cheese, one plot is the spoon, and by advancing in the plots, you learn things at the school! Or, maybe not the cheese... And maybe not the spoon too... But I guess something funny is always nice for a game like this. Otherwise, it maybe could get boring. But that's just my opinion... (I'm not a good storywriter, so...)

Anyway, we can work together with the eventing, if Riku agrees. Two people can do more than one! Maybe some puzzles such as an ice-sliding puzzle and a mirror puzzle (you know, if you press up, both characters (one in the mirror and one in the real room) walk, and you can only walk where both the mirror-image and you can walk)? And I guess a simple banking, fishing, running and jumping system?

I can script a system where the player can store notes, so he can always review them if he needs them.

*Starts scripting*

Riku, have you got other ideas? Maybe a 'job' system, where you can choose one or multiple jobs and you can level up and such for a bit more advanced players?

-SBR*

lonely_cubone

Yes, you play as a student, so that everyone teaches you how to use RMXP. And yeah, that's probably a more interesting way of doing it, if we incorporate the two plots I came up with before into it. What we could do is one of them, probably the spoon one, could be the example that all the teachers make. Then when they get you to do it, it could be the cheese one. Or do you think that would restrict the creativity of inventing a story? I guess that's my section, but I'm not sure how much room for improvisation we're leaving people when they play this and make a game from it.

The Niche

Cube, I like it. However, I think we should do different names. I can do character developmet. The Niche, lord of developing characters. Or suchlike. And SBR, if you're gonna be Scripting Bachelor Radical, or something, yoou should always talk about worshipping a god named blizzard :D.
Actually, Cube, are we going to have a plot other than DO YOUR EXAMS AND GET AN A+++++ OR DIE!!!?
...The question mark at the end of that sentence makes me thing of my psychotic physics teacher on drugs.

lonely_cubone

Well I don't know how important the plot of the game itself is, since like I just said, you'll already be following two other plots at the same time, so it probably wouldn't get too boring. If you think it's important though, then I can come up with some more stuff to add to it.

SBR*

Why must the school be the only location and that the teachers tell the other stories? Maybe there is something happening outside the school, and you have to complete dungeons. For example, in the Cave of Glittering Crystal, you find an ice-sliding puzzle. "Could it be possible to make that in a 'game'?" Let's ask the teachers! And I like the idea of the god named Blizzard. And I'm busy with the systm, beta almost done :P! You're going to be the first one to test it!

IMO, plots that aren't real but told by the teachers as example are a bit... boring... But that's just my opinion :P.

BTW, why don't use the mouse control system by Blizzard and give the cursor you use the sprite of a paintbrush? That way you can do things in your surroundings (and at the end you discover that it's acutally a game you're in?).

-SBR*

The Niche

SBR: *levels up*
CUbe:I think it would add to the fun of learning if there was a plot to the game. I think the cheese plot should be the example game, and then you find out that it really is underneath the school
There was something else I was gonna say, but...

Shining Riku

Sure, we can both work together, SBR.

Um, I can do basic stuff, but I've learned a lot from blizz's tutorials and I've even come up with some systems myself. I can teach people how to use common events to create super skills and advanced in-battle ability systems and stuff.

Common events, switches, variables, and all the cream in between is what I like using :D

SBR*

May 12, 2010, 11:44:19 am #32 Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 12:05:20 pm by SBR*
Quote from: Shining Riku on May 12, 2010, 11:42:10 am
Sure, we can both work together, SBR.

Um, I can do basic stuff, but I've learned a lot from blizz's tutorials and I've even come up with some systems myself. I can teach people how to use common events to create super skills and advanced in-battle ability systems and stuff.

Common events, switches, variables, and all the cream in between is what I like using :D

Oh, that's great! I prefer making puzzles and such, so we can form a great team!

EDIT: Wew, finally done. I sent the script to the Niche, but he's offline now :(. What can I do now? *sigh*

EDIT: Hey, it looks like somebody leveled me down! Who did that!?

Subsonic_Noise

Do not bother. People who level others down are, to say it in Aristoteles' words, "of insignificant genitalia".

SBR*

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on May 12, 2010, 02:10:03 pm
Do not bother. People who level others down are, to say it in Aristoteles' words, "of insignificant genitalia".

Ok.

OT: I'm currently working on the tutorials :D.

The Niche

SBR, I got your message, but school internet doesn't tolerate megaupload. COuld you please stick it in filefront? I'm guessing it's fairly cool, so I hope you don't mind me slotting it into EWIII. :haha:

Subsonic: I concur.

SBR*

I'm uploading it and I will send the message ASAP. BTW, I don't know who re-leveled me, but thank you!

lonely_cubone

Quote from: The Niche on May 12, 2010, 10:31:03 am
CUbe:I think it would add to the fun of learning if there was a plot to the game. I think the cheese plot should be the example game, and then you find out that it really is underneath the school

Actually, that's a great idea. I have a question though. Who's going to make the actual game file itself? We could all work on it, but it would be really slow, and only one person could do it at a time.

Shining Riku

That's a good point Cubone.

Unfortunately, my computer doesn't let me properly compress stuff anymore so I can't compress it if i'm the last one to work on it >_<

SBR*

We can all make different parts of the game (the lessons) and the Niche could make the plot and such. In the end, he makes it one game by adding switches. He just has to leave space open in between the plot. I'm already busy with the scripting tutorials.