Disaster averted, dam I'm getting too good at this.

Started by Ryex, May 07, 2010, 06:31:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

so yesterday about 10'oclock my computer froze closing word. it is a good thing I had saved all my work. any way explorer.exe froze so I couldn't ctrl+alt+delete out of it or shutdown normally. I was forced to hold the power button in and hard shutdown. I'm in the habit that every time i have to do this i restart to make sure everything is alright. problem, windows loading animation looped endlessly and hard disk activity stopped altogether. at this point I knew something was wrong. I hard shutdown and tried again. this time the loading scree went away to the black screen like normal but shortly there after it blue screened on me. Now I KNEW something was f***ed up, blue scree during the START UP!?!? I had never even heard of it before. trying to boot into "repair your computer" mode also produced a blue screen, by this time I'm getting fairly scared was i even going to be able to fix it with out telling my dad who would of blown a gasket and shelling out a few hundred for a repair man. so i tried to boot from the install disk and access the repair function there. that took 20 friken minutes from pressing enter to boot from cd drive to able to use the mouse and actually click something. NEVER taken that long before the only reason i didn't shut it down was because i saw that there was still disk activity so SOMETHING must of been going on I took a bath while I was waiting. any way i clicked on "repair your computer". took ten minutes to load the next widow. then selected "start up repair" that ran for a little while the said it was fixing disk errors so I let it run. then it restarted and ran the startup recovery again to fix something else. finally it would start. but as soon as everything was finished starting (the startup programs ect.) the computer froze again exactly like it had before I hard shut down.
so I had stopped the blue screening and was able to log in but the computer still froze and was unusable. so I attempted to start in safe mode the first time that didn't work it just got stuck. so i ran start up recovery again and did some memory diagnostics and tried again with safe mode. this time it worked.
at that point i said that well I don't have anything critical on here so the easiest way to solve the freezing problem is to do a factory image restore so i promptly ran a virus scan (it picked up two things), backed up my data that was in my docs folder and on the desktop, and re-imaged. now I'm back, disaster averted and nearly have my computer back to where it was. I'm getting far too god at resurrecting a computer.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Great story. Just wait until you get to the part where you start suspecting your hardware for the failure and start opening up your PC and checking that everything is working right by disconnecting, cleaning, reconnecting a reserve part, reconnecting the original again and trying to figure out if the HDD broke down, a cable's loose, your CPU got fried partially (very rare) or if your RAM has simply gotten corrupted segments. That's when things start to get really fun. xD
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

May 07, 2010, 09:49:12 pm #2 Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 11:22:20 pm by Ryexander
NOOOOOOO! I hope it never goes that far.
any way a few hours after I did the re-image the computer froze again, i let it run to see if it would unfreeze and it blue screened on me. on restart it told me the blue scree was because a RAID driver was missing I'm not even using RAID for my HDafter it told me that it froze again. so I re-imaged, again.
I hope it is stable now. other wise i'm calling tech support.

EDIT:
well so far it seems to be holding stable
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />