My personal website

Started by Blizzard, May 12, 2010, 04:48:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

May 12, 2010, 04:48:43 pm Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 04:50:04 pm by Blizzard
After researching on Saturday of ways how to better sell my music, I came across a few sources that said I should put up a personal website. Since several sources mentioned that, I guess it would be a good idea to do that.

http://blizzard.chaos-project.com/

Obviously I haven't started yet. :P Anyway, this is primarily for my music. I have already a good idea how I can let people access 30-seconds streams of my songs (or full versions of my older songs) and how I'm going to link to online shops where they can buy my music. The only thing about which my mind is blank is the site layout. ._. Any suggestions or layout ideas?
Also, should I stick to PHP or HTML? It's not really going to be much of a dynamic site so I'm considering pure HTML + CSS for it.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Aqua

Maybe use php for include?
Hm... layout... layout... layout...

Do a futuristicy, technoy thingie since that's what I remember your music being like XP
Maybe a black background with lots of neon-ish other stuff?

Blizzard

I was actually thinking of a bright-blueish/cyanish background, because that's how I see my music most of the time. xD

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Aqua

Then do that! :x
The layout should reflect what you want/feel your music to be.

winkio

Have you considered using flash, or at least making it fully interactive?

Blizzard

What do you suggest? I don't see much interactivity possibilities in letting my music play. #_#

Starrodkirby86

Why, that's easy to do.

You can attract a lot of users if you take a photo similar to the great Frankmusik.

Er, mildly NSFW?: ShowHide

All joking aside, if you're going to advertise your music there, perhaps you should see a lot of official bands' websites and look at a common thread or interest...? Or go with your own awesomeness, since, well, we know that even your toilet waste is a work of art.  8)

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

winkio

Here's some examples of flash sites: http://www.youthedesigner.com/2007/10/29/10-awe-inspiring-interactive-websites/
They are basically themed, interactive websites.  It's not as much content specific as theme specific.

They tend to draw a lot more people in, the only downside being loading times.  I'm not saying you have to do it, it's just something you might want to look into ;)

Ryex

well if it is a site purely for music I suggest making it very simple in concept. one column for text/media, a horizontal link bar ect. a good example is Pretty Lights' site http://www.prettylightsmusic.com/#/home their sight is flash but a similar effect could be achieved through html and javascript
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

May 13, 2010, 02:44:14 am #9 Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 11:22:42 am by Blizzard
@winkio: I'll consider it. If I can put together something nice quickly, then it's worth it.

@Ryex: It looks a bit like trying too hard. o.o;

Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on May 12, 2010, 08:14:28 pm
All joking aside, if you're going to advertise your music there, perhaps you should see a lot of official bands' websites and look at a common thread or interest...?

That's a good idea. I'll definitely take a look at what others have to offer.

Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on May 12, 2010, 08:14:28 pm
Or go with your own awesomeness, since, well, we know that even your toilet waste is a work of art.  8)

As soon as NAMK said "oh shit, this is being logged", I knew this was going to bite me in the ass someday. xD

EDIT: I put up a widget for now where you can listen to The Storm is coming so the site isn't completely empty. #_#

Ryex

May 14, 2010, 12:14:53 am #10 Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 12:16:54 am by Ryexander
QuoteYou can listen to some music meanwhile.

works better grammatically as
Quotemeanwhile, you can listen to some music.

just thought I'd point that out.

also, it appears I've never listened to the newest versions of your songs. I'll have to buy then so I can... when I get some money that is.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

May 14, 2010, 02:30:06 am #11 Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 02:31:11 am by Blizzard
Actually I think it works both ways since you can put meanwhile at the end of a sentence or at the beginning. Grammatically they are both correct. They are even semantically correct. But I agree that the second one does sound better because it sounds like "But meanwhile" which simply sounds better here.

Spaceman McConaughey

Quote from: Ryexander on May 14, 2010, 12:14:53 am
QuoteYou can listen to some music meanwhile.

works better grammatically as
Quotemeanwhile, you can listen to some music.

just thought I'd point that out.

also, it appears I've never listened to the newest versions of your songs. I'll have to buy then so I can... when I get some money that is.

lol! That's coming from YOU!? :xD:

Ryex

I'm a very competent writer. my grammar is fine, it is my spelling that sucks.

Blizzard

Lol!

Well, I hope you'll buy my album then. xD

Ryex

dam I have $10.03 on my itunes but it won;t let be buy your album.... dam I'll have to get another gift-card or something

Blizzard

Diokatsu

Quote from: Blizzard on May 15, 2010, 05:15:09 am
Lol!

Well, I hope you'll buy my album then. xD

i remember buying your album.

Blizzard

Who else bought it?

Were you one of the two guys who left a review? xD

Diokatsu

Quote from: Blizzard on May 15, 2010, 03:42:57 pm
Who else bought it?

Were you one of the two guys who left a review? xD

Just wrote one XD