[VX] Verus Tempus Proelium (VX ABS System)

Started by Jragyn, May 16, 2010, 03:48:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jragyn

May 16, 2010, 03:48:59 pm Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 02:40:11 pm by jragyn00
Verus Tempus Proelium (VTP)
Authors: Vlad, (soon Jragyn)
Version: 1.0
Type: On-the-map Active Battle System
Key Term: Custom Battle System

Introduction

Well, first off, this isn't my script.
It was written by a fellow who names himself 'vlad'.
He also crafted a heavier version of this by the name of "Vampyr's SBABS".

This script is similer to Blizz's ABS he made, but its for VX.
It allows for the player to play and execute battle actions on the map.
Games like Zelda and Secret of Mana function like this.

The system isn't perfect.

Features

• Allows for quick action-based battles on the map.
  • No need for sprite building or animations, it uses the basic character set!
  • Functions with no custom input, allowing for use of USB Game Controllers.
  • Utilizes the -note system- of VX for specifying many things, details for weapons etc.

Screenshots

Spoiler: ShowHide

Demo

The Demo you should download for reference.

Script
The Script REQUIRES at least the top two, in this order, while the extras are...well...extra.
The Kernel
VTP Kernal 1.0

The ABS System
VTP System 1.0

The default HUD (requires pictures from the demo)
VTP HUD 1.0

Instructions

The instructions from the author are somewhat dated, and I will be providing a text document or something to explain...everything. Or as close to it as possible.

QuoteHow to setup enemy events and the database.

Just ask in the forum if you have questions, I'll try to help if I can.

Compatibility

I can't imagine it working too well with other Map-based battle systems.
I am working on functionality in regards to other scripts, and will release modifications as I create them.
It DOES work with the RGSS2+ thingie, as suggested by the second screenshot above.
Should it be compatible with something? Gimme suggestions, I'll see if I can...
It is GAY when it comes to 8directional movement. Though the movement works, it screws up the attacking and all that jazz, and I haven't tackled the task of trying to fix it.

Credits and Thanks

• Vampyr! You crafted the base for it. gj.
  • J, myself, because I'm trying to support it? lol.

Author's Notes

Remember, the script isn't MINE, but I am trying to provide updates and fixes for it as the bugs come out, and also adding other features...though it'll likely be part of a bundley thingie, so it may be a bit before I release it/them. :D Otherwise, have at it and have fun! ABS for VX yo.

(btw, if anyone has a better site or something that I could host these scripts on, lemme know, cuz I feel weird slapping them on Pastebin...)

--J  :negative:
A bright light can either illuminate or blind, but how will you know which until you open your eyes?

Mikhail

May 18, 2010, 09:15:11 pm #1 Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:20:45 pm by Mikhail
How do I get the skills to work? I have a "Fire" spell set up and everything, but when the actor learns it, it doesn't appear on the menu thingie when I press W. It just shows a bunch of arrows. It appears in the menu, but I can't seem to cast them on enemies or anything.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it to work.

Awesome script, by the way.

Jragyn

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
I added a brief paragraph about setting up skills and items to hotkeys etc.
Also remembered to add a bit about 'Object' status for enemies.

And I'm glad you like it, btw.
I was afraid because this forum seems to be completely rmXP based, no one would bother with this.
Update complete!

--J
A bright light can either illuminate or blind, but how will you know which until you open your eyes?

G_G

This seems nice, however I prefer his newest one. Vlads Abs 9.0 or something. Its quite nice.

SBR*

Quote from: game_guy on May 19, 2010, 06:54:32 pm
This seems nice, however I prefer his newest one. Vlads Abs 9.0 or something. Its quite nice.

I ROFL'd at your new avatar :P!

OT: I think I tried it a long time ago. I already tried it once, oh, wait, that's v.1.2a O.o. THAT'S WHY IT SUCKED! However, I also tried another ABS once... Ah, the PRABS. You should try it :P!

Jragyn

:O I keep intact with this fellow via MSN.
This is his most recent ABS.
Like I said, he has another ABS, though its up to 12, not 9.
And as far as I know, he ceased production for it, as he sorta seems to for this.
He's mentioned something about script updates for this or that...but I haven't seen any progress towards it for a while. Too busy with other projects I imagine.

--J

SBR*

Quote from: jragyn00 on May 21, 2010, 12:24:47 am
:O I keep intact with this fellow via MSN.
This is his most recent ABS.
Like I said, he has another ABS, though its up to 12, not 9.
And as far as I know, he ceased production for it, as he sorta seems to for this.
He's mentioned something about script updates for this or that...but I haven't seen any progress towards it for a while. Too busy with other projects I imagine.

--J

Oh sorry, I thought this version was like v.9.0. because I saw '9.0.' or 'version 9' or something like that in your topic, at least I thought so, so I thought my version was really outdated. Sorry!  :^_^':

Mikhail

8-Directional movement works like a charm if you use Yanfly's Extended Movement script.

There are one or two graphical glitches that can happen, but they are incredibly minor and don't really affect battle.

Jragyn

The exact issue in regards to 8directions I've found is that at times even though hits are connecting, and damage is being dealt, if you stepped in and began swinging diagonally, it at times doesn't register HP loss. So essentially, enemies can appear to have infinite life, and nobody wants that >.<

Like I said though, if you can muster up a method to functionalize 8directions, then by all means use it! :D

--J

ShadoweD

May 25, 2010, 08:16:10 am #9 Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 08:40:58 am by ShadoweD
hey jra, is there a way to make the monster/actor check if the skill has a common event attached to it? and if there is, give his event ID and/or position and run the common event before/after the skill animation?

if you could make 2 notes that can play the common event before and after the skill this would help alot (to make animations in map)

I want to make some custom animations for some skills but there is no way to check what event is using the skill ;/

and another question, does this script use the dmg algorithim? and does it check for elemental defense?

===============EDIT

got a bug, when you set the agressiveness to 0 the enemy dont run away, if you set it to 1 then it works... but if you hit the enemy the game will crash with an error at line  1801

def move_by_aggressiveness
    case @actor.aggressiveness.to_i
    when 0
      if @target != nil and in_range?(@target, 5)
        move_away_from(@target)
      else
        move_random
      end
    when 1
        move_type_away_from(@target)
      else
        move_random

at the "when 1" move_type_away_from(@target)

the error message is "undefined method"

Jragyn

May 25, 2010, 02:24:44 pm #10 Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 02:42:44 pm by jragyn00
You know, just the other day, I was pestering the author about custom move animations much like you were describing before, except I was trying to get them to work with Forced Actions, etc, and he denied the idea of adding such a thing, because: "The script was written easily so that anyone can use it." ...In essence, he said he doesn't want to add features of this nature to the script. If your ever looking for a more detailed variation in regards to skills and stuff, you should investigate his SBABS12 script... umm... here:

The SBABS12 that has other edittable stuffs.

I don't think it either has what you exactly are looking for, but its definitely got lots of other variations to skills and how they work and just...lots of other details.

Apologies for being unable to write additional script as you request this moment, but I'll put it on the list.

--J

EDIT:: That error yu found, is just a typo on his behalf.
Replace this:

when 1
        move_type_away_from(@target)
      else
        move_random
      end

With this:
    when 1
        move_away_from(@target)
      else
        move_random
      end

Mikhail

Quote from: jragyn00 on May 25, 2010, 12:23:31 am
The exact issue in regards to 8directions I've found is that at times even though hits are connecting, and damage is being dealt, if you stepped in and began swinging diagonally, it at times doesn't register HP loss. So essentially, enemies can appear to have infinite life, and nobody wants that >.<

Like I said though, if you can muster up a method to functionalize 8directions, then by all means use it! :D

--J
It's not really a huge problem, though, as usually people will make hits horizontally or vertically, anyway (since, while I do use 8-directional movement, I haven't made 8-Directional sprites, etc.)

But I guess if you're fighting a boss (and the bosses in my game are balls hard) then it can be a minor glitch (just pause and it's solved, or move a certain number of frames).

But other than that, it's really minor, but probably worth mentioning.

Jragyn

So is anyone actually using this?
Any feedback?
Still semi functional?
I was looking over a project I started based around this system, and realized that I had an additional chunk of script that I used to implement other features, and I'm just wondering if people would like to utilize that as well.
Of course, this forum is heavily XP focused, so it may not even interest anyone.

--J

Mikhail

Quote from: jragyn00 on September 13, 2010, 09:20:33 pm
So is anyone actually using this?
Any feedback?
Still semi functional?
I was looking over a project I started based around this system, and realized that I had an additional chunk of script that I used to implement other features, and I'm just wondering if people would like to utilize that as well.
Of course, this forum is heavily XP focused, so it may not even interest anyone.

--J
I'm using it and loving it.

It's easily accessible, but his dedicated SBABS has more features.

Jragyn

The dedicated SBABS DOES have more features, though the main reason I flow with this is direct compatibility with a control pad XD Though there are programs to utilize the system in other ways, I suppose I grew fond of this one.

The script chunk I mentioned earlier respawned a couple of features within his "Lite" version here, like adjustable attack speeds, allowed for functional auto-hide, re-implemented "unpassable" spawn areas, and add semi-compatibility with some of Yanfly's JP System, and also modified a lot of methods so that I could utilize this system for achievements with Sojabird's (ie: crit'ed 1000 times, achievement!) and seemingly many other little things...

I dunno.
Just wondering what others (apparently only you, lol) thought, maybe if they felt it useful, I could present it :)

--J

Xzygon

All of his most recent updates can be found on his site at http://etfictum-fitfactum.net.
Soon enough, you can switch from SBABS to VTP, as he's not only including some of the highly popular features from SBABS, but a few more to fit the bill.

If this script adds any semi-compatibility with any other script, it is entirely by accident. Just to let you know. (And if you've noticed, yes, I'm his official tester.)

Taco!!!

There was an error that popped up when I started the game:
---------------------------
Vampyr - Verus Tempus Proelium
Script 'Verus Tempus Proelium' line 744: NoMethodError occurred.

undefined method `[]=' for nil:NilClass
OK   
Help?

Jragyn

Quote from: Xzygon on September 16, 2010, 07:18:29 pm
All of his most recent updates can be found on his site at http://etfictum-fitfactum.net.

You should check out this site.
It is HIS script, and he's likely got an updated version with explanations, etc :)

Magus

LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />

Twb6543

Quote from: Jragyn on May 16, 2010, 03:48:59 pm
Well, first off, this isn't my script.
It was written by a fellow who names himself 'vlad'.
He also crafted a heavier version of this by the name of "Vampyr's SBABS".

• Vampyr! You crafted the base for it. gj.
  • J, myself, because I'm trying to support it? lol.

Remember, the script isn't MINE, but I am trying to provide updates and fixes for it as the bugs come out, and also adding other features...

The script is originally by Vlad (of Vampyr Coders), your will need permission for Vampyr Coders (As the system now has passed onto them) and also permission from Jragyn depending on the copyright. I believe you may edit it for personal use but I am not sure about release (even with credit).
If you put a million monkeys at a million keyboards, one of them will eventually write a Java program.
The rest of them will write Perl programs.

Jragyn

As far as I can see, Vlad has abandoned this project in favor of his own dawdles. I tried to keep tabs on him and his progress with this project, but it has not been updated in a long long while. I believe it to be abandoned.

This is by no means my own project. Take it, modify it, do as you will with it as far as I'm concerned. If you utilize bits and pieces of what I wrote in here, just make sure you learn and understand it. This was just kinda... a learning project for me. :D

thisromero

Do please credit the Vampyr Coders team. Anyways, I'm here to do official updates as VTP was passed on to me.
Anyways, Chaos Project will be first notified of VTP updates from now on.

As for the newest version 1.1.0...
Well, I haven't thought of new additions.

Any suggestions for the new version?

thisromero

Okay then! Nice suggestions.
Let's see what I can do.

Do take note, I'm also working a port on VX Ace along with Vlad.

Blizzard

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea if you reposted this script once you have finished the new version so you can keep updating it here when necessary.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Piman32

March 08, 2012, 06:38:01 pm #24 Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:29:50 pm by Piman32
I was wondering, where can I get some sprites for this, cause I want to use it in a game, but I can't find sprites of all the monsters.  Any links to sites for it would be good.
It would be pretty awesome if you could include sprites for most of the monsters, instead of just the two in the demo.  I'm guessing that more people would use this if you included them here instead of them having to search through entire forums just for sprites of monsters.

Please refrain from changing the subject thats unrelated to the topic when replying. ~ G_G

zanaram525

I like this script, it works nice.
I was just wondering is it possible to make NPCs attack monsters?

Lyonel

June 04, 2012, 01:58:34 pm #26 Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:40:19 pm by Lyonel
Hi!

I have a problem with the Script. I'm used to use the Vampyr SBABS 7, but I want to use this system now. Now, I have written an event with a loop command, and when I select a loop choise, this Error appears on my window:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/256/problemhj.png/

Sorry for my English, I am from Hungary :)

UPDATE: I solved the problem, but I've received a new -.-" This appears If I press the Q or W button (They are the Items and the Skills menu buttons)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/problem2i.png/

assi23q

I know big time necroposting, but does anyone have the latest version of this battle system?

I seen online in some old youtube videos that it got up to V1.6.

Interested in seeing the changes from a newer version if anyone has it.

KK20

Searching for Vampyr SBABS showed me some other results. All signs point to a version 12 existing (or is it 1.2?).

The only site that doesn't have a dead redirect link is on RMRK:
https://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,33456.0.html
I think you need to have an account on here to view attachments though. I don't have one, so can't verify myself.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

assi23q

August 16, 2023, 02:00:50 am #29 Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 08:17:00 pm by assi23q
Vampyr SBABS is a different version of the ABS battle system.

Verus Tempus Proelium is a newer version of almost the same thing. I personally use SBABS for my game for the multiple party members, but there were some badly designed sections in the script, like the targeting/aggressive system.

In SBABS, the enemies just seem to continuously walk around even when targeting you. But in VTP, the new method move_by_aggression fixes that issue and allows enemies to approach you when they've targeted you. So I've taken that method and added it to my game. Was hoping to see the latest version to cross-check with my script and see if there's bug fixes or improvements I can add in.

The last place it was hosted was in:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110130010149/http://www.etfictum-fitfactum.net:30080/index.php?page=products

That had the latest versions, but unfortunately wayback doesn't have the script archived. Maybe time for me to continue learning Ruby and fix the script up myself.