Average Daydreaming

Started by Vell, May 16, 2010, 05:30:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Vell

May 16, 2010, 05:30:09 pm Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 10:43:18 pm by UltaFlame
Average Daydreaming is an RPG that is so ambitious, I need a lot of people to help me make it.

Because despite the ambition behind it, all I can really do for myself is the script. D'oh.

And not even programming script. D'oh, again.

CONCEPT:

Spoiler: ShowHide
The basic idea of this is that you are like a follower in the main character's head. You hear his thoughts. All of them. For example, if he wakes up and thinks about a song, it'll start playing. This is instead of ambient music. There may be some - the main character likes video games and stuff. But it'll be slightly muted, because his thoughts are supposed to be voice acted. This is the Day segment. This covers from morning, when he wakes up, to night, when he goes to sleep. This is ENTIRELY prescripted. The player has no control except for if he starts imagining a battle/playing a video game. And there'll be multiple battle systems. Even when he's talking, the player will have a limited time to read it before it continues. We'll have to find a way to pause and allow people to save during Day segments.

The Dream segments are different. There's no voice-acted thoughtstream. It's more typical of an RPG. You have your character, your party. Each dream will have its own mini-plot, and be as wildly random and still serious as actual dreams.

PLOT:
The main character is an average high school kid with AS - Asperger's Syndrome. the plot is to be a follower in his mind and will probably cover a week of his life. Character interaction and storytelling is a HIGH focus, as well as delivering insight into the main character's mind.

CHARACTERS:
Main character: Unnamed as of yet! His thought-process is based off my own - I have asperger's syndrome - but his personality is designed to be unique from my own in at least a few ways. Considering every freaking moment of the game is his waking and dreaming life, let's just hope we can pull him off right. I'll need a voice actor for his thought stream!

Vincent: One of the main character's friends. His personality isn't worked out yet, but he may himself be AS.

Others: There's bound to be some.

SCREENIES:
NONE!

DOWNLOADS:
NONE!

FEATURES:
-Multiple battle systems - need a scripter, obviously, to help in this.

-Two different 'modes' - Day and Dream - with entirely different focuses.

-Others, which I can't think of right now.

I NEED A LOT OF HELP. PLEASE OFFER YOUR SERVICES.

What I need: Scripter, voice actor, spriter, mapper.

People helping: Sally, (Eventer, Mapper)

Lonely (Mapper, maybe voice actor)

Subsonic (Musics dood)

Shining Riku (Eventer, Spriter)

Niche

lonely_cubone

I like this idea. It sounds very unique and interesting, as long as the daytime segments aren't too drawn-out and boring. I'd be happy to help as a mapper and/or voice actor.

Vell

Yeah, I'm worried about the day segments, too. It'll be broken up with battles, though, so hopefully we can work it out to make it not-boring.

And iunno, is there a way for me to see an example of your voice acting skills?

lonely_cubone

Well I've got a mic, so I can record something and upload it somewhere as a demo. It's not great quality though, so for the actual voices for the game, I'll need to get a better one. What do you want me to say, and how do you want me to say it?

Oh, and I am a guy by the way. If I understood correctly, you only need a voice actor for the main character, so that should be fine.

Subsonic_Noise

I love this concept for reasons I don't understand myself. I'd help with it if you'd need a musician, but since you don't.... uhm, I'm an okay mapper? Dunno. My voice is useless for you since I've got an aweful german accent.

Vell

Yup, just the main dude.

And uhh...

Just do a mini rant about some random thing. Try to go through a variety of emotional tones, if possible.

@Noise: having our own, unique music would be EPIC.

lonely_cubone

Okay, I can do that. It'll take me a while though, don't expect it right away. Sometime today though, I think.

Vell

Diokatsu

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: UltaFlame on May 16, 2010, 06:23:13 pm
@Noise: having our own, unique music would be EPIC.

I could try. Of what kind of music are you thinking? My current style is... well, you can listen to it in my topic, I can't really describe it. Please just don't look at the older ones. But I think I could do other styles if needed.

Vell

Given my thought process, the guy monitors his mood with the music in his mind. So it'll probably tend to be... well, anything and everything. So long as it doesn't hurt the ears.

Diokatsu

Make it all ethereal and shit.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: UltaFlame on May 16, 2010, 06:34:51 pm
Given my thought process, the guy monitors his mood with the music in his mind. So it'll probably tend to be... well, anything and everything. So long as it doesn't hurt the ears.

That's the last thing it's gonna do. My music just tends to show negative moods most of the time, so I'm probably not the right guy for that jumpy I'm-happy-and-everything-is-perfect mood. But most other moods should be possible.

Vell

'smore content than anything.

lonely_cubone

Subsonic_Noise, if you have trouble with happier music, I could give it a try. I'm pretty sure you're better overall at writing music than me, so you try first, but if it really doesn't work, I'll give it a shot, if you/UltaFlame want.

Jalm

Good luck with this! There sounds like a lot of potential with this.

It sounds like, during the daytime you should be able to have a little bit of control on the boy's thoughts. Affect how he acts during the day to the the prescripted events and such. It could have further impact later on, but it doesn't have to.

I doubt I can seriously help with anything, though.

Vell

I wanted that, too... but I wanted the thought-stream to go uninterrupted to more. I felt giving a choice would interrupted his voice stream, unless we made it loop temporarily - and that would make it off. But hey, getting ideas is good. If people keep telling me it'd be smarter to give people choices during the day, I'll go ahead and find a way to do it.

Fantasist

So it's like a half-dream and half-reality state, but with the role of the player reversed (having control during a dream instead of day). I've always wanted to see an RMXP movie, heh... Quintessence is the closest I've found. Good idea Ulta :) You need a scripter, but I don't think I can help much. Sorry about that :( I'll be a spectator for the most part. All the best.

PS: This reminds me of Assassin's Creed. During the character's waking moments, you don't have much control, but during his time in the Animus, you get to control him properly.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

The Niche

May 17, 2010, 03:42:07 pm #18 Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 03:44:31 pm by The Niche
Flame, you are a genius. I can help out with character development, mapping and if you need a different kind of insanity to yours and cubone's, I'm the man. And Niche  ;)

Also, you might want to include a breakdown about asperger's. When I saw it, I thought you were referring to the retarded policeman (youtube it, it's hilarious).
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Vell

Quote from: The Niche on May 17, 2010, 03:42:07 pm
Flame, you are a genius. I can help out with character development, mapping and if you need a different kind of insanity to yours and cubone's, I'm the man. And Niche  ;)

Also, you might want to include a breakdown about asperger's. When I saw it, I thought you were referring to the retarded policeman (youtube it, it's hilarious).

Thanks, first, for the compliment!

Second, I'll put you down as mapper.

Third, good idea on that point about Asperger's. I'll provide a link to wikipedia or something.
Quote from: Fantasist on May 17, 2010, 10:05:52 am
So it's like a half-dream and half-reality state, but with the role of the player reversed (having control during a dream instead of day). I've always wanted to see an RMXP movie, heh... Quintessence is the closest I've found. Good idea Ulta :) You need a scripter, but I don't think I can help much. Sorry about that :( I'll be a spectator for the most part. All the best.

PS: This reminds me of Assassin's Creed. During the character's waking moments, you don't have much control, but during his time in the Animus, you get to control him properly.

I was unaware Assassin's Creed had such an idea. Interesting. I hope I don't disappoint!