Average Daydreaming

Started by Vell, May 16, 2010, 05:30:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Vell

May 16, 2010, 05:30:09 pm Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 10:43:18 pm by UltaFlame
Average Daydreaming is an RPG that is so ambitious, I need a lot of people to help me make it.

Because despite the ambition behind it, all I can really do for myself is the script. D'oh.

And not even programming script. D'oh, again.

CONCEPT:

Spoiler: ShowHide
The basic idea of this is that you are like a follower in the main character's head. You hear his thoughts. All of them. For example, if he wakes up and thinks about a song, it'll start playing. This is instead of ambient music. There may be some - the main character likes video games and stuff. But it'll be slightly muted, because his thoughts are supposed to be voice acted. This is the Day segment. This covers from morning, when he wakes up, to night, when he goes to sleep. This is ENTIRELY prescripted. The player has no control except for if he starts imagining a battle/playing a video game. And there'll be multiple battle systems. Even when he's talking, the player will have a limited time to read it before it continues. We'll have to find a way to pause and allow people to save during Day segments.

The Dream segments are different. There's no voice-acted thoughtstream. It's more typical of an RPG. You have your character, your party. Each dream will have its own mini-plot, and be as wildly random and still serious as actual dreams.

PLOT:
The main character is an average high school kid with AS - Asperger's Syndrome. the plot is to be a follower in his mind and will probably cover a week of his life. Character interaction and storytelling is a HIGH focus, as well as delivering insight into the main character's mind.

CHARACTERS:
Main character: Unnamed as of yet! His thought-process is based off my own - I have asperger's syndrome - but his personality is designed to be unique from my own in at least a few ways. Considering every freaking moment of the game is his waking and dreaming life, let's just hope we can pull him off right. I'll need a voice actor for his thought stream!

Vincent: One of the main character's friends. His personality isn't worked out yet, but he may himself be AS.

Others: There's bound to be some.

SCREENIES:
NONE!

DOWNLOADS:
NONE!

FEATURES:
-Multiple battle systems - need a scripter, obviously, to help in this.

-Two different 'modes' - Day and Dream - with entirely different focuses.

-Others, which I can't think of right now.

I NEED A LOT OF HELP. PLEASE OFFER YOUR SERVICES.

What I need: Scripter, voice actor, spriter, mapper.

People helping: Sally, (Eventer, Mapper)

Lonely (Mapper, maybe voice actor)

Subsonic (Musics dood)

Shining Riku (Eventer, Spriter)

Niche

lonely_cubone

I like this idea. It sounds very unique and interesting, as long as the daytime segments aren't too drawn-out and boring. I'd be happy to help as a mapper and/or voice actor.

Vell

Yeah, I'm worried about the day segments, too. It'll be broken up with battles, though, so hopefully we can work it out to make it not-boring.

And iunno, is there a way for me to see an example of your voice acting skills?

lonely_cubone

Well I've got a mic, so I can record something and upload it somewhere as a demo. It's not great quality though, so for the actual voices for the game, I'll need to get a better one. What do you want me to say, and how do you want me to say it?

Oh, and I am a guy by the way. If I understood correctly, you only need a voice actor for the main character, so that should be fine.

Subsonic_Noise

I love this concept for reasons I don't understand myself. I'd help with it if you'd need a musician, but since you don't.... uhm, I'm an okay mapper? Dunno. My voice is useless for you since I've got an aweful german accent.

Vell

Yup, just the main dude.

And uhh...

Just do a mini rant about some random thing. Try to go through a variety of emotional tones, if possible.

@Noise: having our own, unique music would be EPIC.

lonely_cubone

Okay, I can do that. It'll take me a while though, don't expect it right away. Sometime today though, I think.

Vell

Diokatsu

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: UltaFlame on May 16, 2010, 06:23:13 pm
@Noise: having our own, unique music would be EPIC.

I could try. Of what kind of music are you thinking? My current style is... well, you can listen to it in my topic, I can't really describe it. Please just don't look at the older ones. But I think I could do other styles if needed.

Vell

Given my thought process, the guy monitors his mood with the music in his mind. So it'll probably tend to be... well, anything and everything. So long as it doesn't hurt the ears.

Diokatsu

Make it all ethereal and shit.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: UltaFlame on May 16, 2010, 06:34:51 pm
Given my thought process, the guy monitors his mood with the music in his mind. So it'll probably tend to be... well, anything and everything. So long as it doesn't hurt the ears.

That's the last thing it's gonna do. My music just tends to show negative moods most of the time, so I'm probably not the right guy for that jumpy I'm-happy-and-everything-is-perfect mood. But most other moods should be possible.

Vell

'smore content than anything.

lonely_cubone

Subsonic_Noise, if you have trouble with happier music, I could give it a try. I'm pretty sure you're better overall at writing music than me, so you try first, but if it really doesn't work, I'll give it a shot, if you/UltaFlame want.

Jalm

Good luck with this! There sounds like a lot of potential with this.

It sounds like, during the daytime you should be able to have a little bit of control on the boy's thoughts. Affect how he acts during the day to the the prescripted events and such. It could have further impact later on, but it doesn't have to.

I doubt I can seriously help with anything, though.

Vell

I wanted that, too... but I wanted the thought-stream to go uninterrupted to more. I felt giving a choice would interrupted his voice stream, unless we made it loop temporarily - and that would make it off. But hey, getting ideas is good. If people keep telling me it'd be smarter to give people choices during the day, I'll go ahead and find a way to do it.

Fantasist

So it's like a half-dream and half-reality state, but with the role of the player reversed (having control during a dream instead of day). I've always wanted to see an RMXP movie, heh... Quintessence is the closest I've found. Good idea Ulta :) You need a scripter, but I don't think I can help much. Sorry about that :( I'll be a spectator for the most part. All the best.

PS: This reminds me of Assassin's Creed. During the character's waking moments, you don't have much control, but during his time in the Animus, you get to control him properly.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

The Niche

May 17, 2010, 03:42:07 pm #18 Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 03:44:31 pm by The Niche
Flame, you are a genius. I can help out with character development, mapping and if you need a different kind of insanity to yours and cubone's, I'm the man. And Niche  ;)

Also, you might want to include a breakdown about asperger's. When I saw it, I thought you were referring to the retarded policeman (youtube it, it's hilarious).
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Vell

Quote from: The Niche on May 17, 2010, 03:42:07 pm
Flame, you are a genius. I can help out with character development, mapping and if you need a different kind of insanity to yours and cubone's, I'm the man. And Niche  ;)

Also, you might want to include a breakdown about asperger's. When I saw it, I thought you were referring to the retarded policeman (youtube it, it's hilarious).

Thanks, first, for the compliment!

Second, I'll put you down as mapper.

Third, good idea on that point about Asperger's. I'll provide a link to wikipedia or something.
Quote from: Fantasist on May 17, 2010, 10:05:52 am
So it's like a half-dream and half-reality state, but with the role of the player reversed (having control during a dream instead of day). I've always wanted to see an RMXP movie, heh... Quintessence is the closest I've found. Good idea Ulta :) You need a scripter, but I don't think I can help much. Sorry about that :( I'll be a spectator for the most part. All the best.

PS: This reminds me of Assassin's Creed. During the character's waking moments, you don't have much control, but during his time in the Animus, you get to control him properly.

I was unaware Assassin's Creed had such an idea. Interesting. I hope I don't disappoint!

The Niche

Don't do a wikipedia link. I looked at the article and it was just too text block. Could not read it.
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

Shining Riku

I can help too!

Just for the record, I know two battle systems that can be put together, and a third possible one (hard to use but awesome)

Blizz ABS
Animated Battlers side view (default battle script, just handles graphics differently)
Gubi-Tactical battle system (possible. Haven't tried it with the above combination)

That's two battle systems, maybe three. all different in how they work :D

Um, i'm also a decent spriter and i'm a great eventer.
At the moment if I end up doing any sprite requests those may take awhile, I'm working for two guys already  :^_^':

Vell

Putting you down as another eventer and a spriter.

Fallen Angel X

Hmm. Looks cool. Count me in. I can do a bit of mapping, scripting, and eventing. But to be fair, I'm usually busy so... Maybe I can help more after the school year ends for me. Idea is just what I'd expect of you Ulta. I tip my hat to you in respect.

Fantasist

QuoteDon't do a wikipedia link. I looked at the article and it was just too text block. Could not read it.

It was okay. True, there wasn't a brief summary, but it's still OK.

QuoteI hope I didn't disappoint!

Nope, not at all. Good luck :up:
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

SBR*

Looks nice! I can't wait to see how it turns out! :P

But I can't do much, maybe an event system/script or two, maybe a few maps, but I'm already busy with the RPG academy, and I already lack time to do that. Maybe when the school year is over?

The Niche

Super BRother with a star, this is the third project I'm working on, with exams coming up.

Sally

AliveDrive

I don't know if I'm considered good or bad when it comes to scripting and mapping.

I dont script code, but I've usually been able to achieve a concept through the basic commands.

Maybe you want neat special effects and features? That's really my forte.

Is your character's outlook on life dark? Or is it more positive?

Fantasist

SBR*

Quote from: The Niche on May 18, 2010, 05:37:01 pm
Super BRother with a star, this is the third project I'm working on, with exams coming up.

But I have another life outside RMXP :P. And I also like to play Maplestory. And you sleep at school, that's unfair: you can do whatever you want right after school, but I have to cycle home, etc.

The Niche

Trust me, I can't do whatever I want. And I also have a life outside RMXP. It's just that 60% of the time, RMXP is easier to get to.

Blizzard

I just had to level you up for this:

Quote from: SBR* on May 20, 2010, 02:00:35 pm
But I have another life outside RMXP :P. And I also like to play Maplestory.

Also, I top both of you with life. xD None of you needs to go to work every day, lol!
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Subsonic_Noise

I myself don't have any real life at all.

SBR*

My RL is school O.o... And sometimes I go to a friend...

The Niche

Are you messing or do I need to turn on caps lock?

Blizzard

May 20, 2010, 03:54:55 pm #36 Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 03:56:09 pm by Blizzard
I'm not messing with you. I work every day, I still have my master thesis to finish, I'll get drunk tomorrow again (god knows next to who I'l wake up tomorrow), etc. Just the usual.
But let's stop before this topic goes completely offtopic. >.<

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Vell

Hey, where's my voice acting sample?

Fallen Angel X

So can I help? Do I need to showcase previous work? Do I need to show you my resume? >8U

The Niche

I was talking to Subsonic and SBR. Flame, do you want me to do some mapping for ya?

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: The Niche on May 21, 2010, 05:48:38 am
I was talking to Subsonic and SBR. Flame, do you want me to do some mapping for ya?

I'm not messing. I really haven't got a real life.

The Niche

Go to more summer camps. That's where I got mine.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: The Niche on May 21, 2010, 09:46:34 am
Go to more summer camps. That's where I got mine.

We all know that summer camps are just for homosexuals or midgets.

The Niche

That means you haven't gone to enough. So I suggest you go out and get a life, while the rest of us return to the topic at hand. Well, actually, it's way over there somewhere, but we're supposed to be talking about Average Daydreaming.

SBR*

I predict that this topic is gonna end up in spam...

BTW, I still don't get why you can't have a RL, do RMXP and play MS. And the Niche, I get you, I didn't even say that I didn't get you. Or did I just get you wrong?   :wacko:

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: The Niche on May 21, 2010, 01:11:01 pm
That means you haven't gone to enough. So I suggest you go out and get a life, while the rest of us return to the topic at hand. Well, actually, it's way over there somewhere, but we're supposed to be talking about Average Daydreaming.

God, I hope I didn't fail this hard at understanding sarcasm when I was at your age.

SBR*

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on May 21, 2010, 02:32:17 pm

God, I hope I didn't fail this hard at understanding sarcasm when I was at your age.

Lol. But I still agree with you about that summer-camp thing... I just don't like spending two weeks in a camp with people I don't know doing things I maybe don't even like (they're always doing at least SOMETHING I don't like: climbing, mountain biking, name it, I don't like it).

Fallen Angel X

If this topic gets moved to SPAM, by god, I will chastise the lot of you for moving a regular game topic into spam.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: SBR* on May 21, 2010, 02:37:33 pm
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on May 21, 2010, 02:32:17 pm

Lol. But I still agree with you about that summer-camp thing... I just don't like spending two weeks in a camp with people I don't know doing things I maybe don't even like (they're always doing at least SOMETHING I don't like: climbing, mountain biking, name it, I don't like it).

Going somewhere with 5-10 friends beats any summer camp, easily. You do it with people you actually know and want to spend your time with, and you're free to do whatever you want, whenever you want, instead of having people to tell you to do activities that you don't like at times at which you'd rather like to sleep.
Also, preparing epic pasta on a camping fire at 4am while it's cold as fuck = epic win. I had some of the most awesome camping trips with my friends.

So, can a mod split this topic? I don't want to have this end up in SPAM either.

Vell

Would all of you shut up with the untopicness so I can have discussion regarding this endeavor?

And if Sally says your maps are good enough, since she's the head of that department, sure.

Subsonic_Noise

*shuts up*
So, when will this be started? Or have you already got some scenes ready?
Yes, I'm actually interested in this.

The Niche

*Is trying*
*Really, really, really hard*
*That's what she said*

Flame, could you please give some more details? Characters, plot, so on. At present, I'm not even sure if there is a plot.
Also, give me something to map! My mapping muscles are itching because of how slowly my own project's going.

Vell

Start mapping a high school. It should be fairly large for a high school.

Send the results to Sally in a PM.

Subsonic_Noise

If you can give me scenes, monologues or whatever can put me in the right mood, I can try writing music for it.

Vell

Try whipping up some battle musics.

We'll need a standard one that's sort of surreal, worthy of a weird dream-scape that makes no sense but is awesome.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: UltaFlame on May 22, 2010, 08:34:44 am
Try whipping up some battle musics.

We'll need a standard one that's sort of surreal, worthy of a weird dream-scape that makes no sense but is awesome.

Sounds like something I could do. I'll program out some wierd synths and jam a bit, but it still could take a while, lol. Do you have any reference text (like a description) or a picture? That could greatly help me.

Vell

Well this is supposed to be the generic in-dream battle used on most nights against random encounters.

The Niche

I'll get on it. Is the game set in modern times or can I use the rtp?

Vell

Sally

Anyone who wants to map, send me a pm with some sexy pics, and if theyre as sexy as me ill add them.   <3

The Niche

Alternatively, you could send me your pics and I'll file them away with all the other pics girls have sent me. :naughty:

Sally

Sounds like a plan to me, but im afraid if i do, you wouldnt be able to handle it. D:

only a few people can handle it.

The Niche

I feed off raichu fed a diet of awesome. Flame, I shall do it for you  :naughty:!

And not Sally...

SBR*

Quote from: The Niche on May 22, 2010, 12:17:48 pm
I feed off raichu fed a diet of awesome. Flame, I shall do it for you  :naughty:!

And not Sally...

Really, as far as I remember it's a Pikachu :P...

The Niche

Raichu evolves from pikachu. And I wasn't referring to Sally's graphic.

SBR*

Quote from: The Niche on May 22, 2010, 12:36:26 pm
Raichu evolves from pikachu. And I wasn't referring to Sally's graphic.

I know Raichu evolves from Pikachu, but still...
Oh, sorry...

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: UltaFlame on May 22, 2010, 08:34:44 am
surreal, worthy of a weird dream-scape that makes no sense but is awesome.

I think I love you for requesting this. Just so you know, unless you tell me otherwise this will end up very wierd and fucked up, but in a good way. I think I just started something that might work out.

Blizzard

I'm the only one who doesn't have to be able to handle it.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Blizzard on May 22, 2010, 01:43:37 pm

I'm feeling like I should have understood that.

Blizzard

Quote from: Sally on May 22, 2010, 11:47:29 am
Sounds like a plan to me, but im afraid if i do, you wouldnt be able to handle it. D:

Referring to this. I probably should have quoted it.

Subsonic_Noise

May 22, 2010, 02:42:50 pm #70 Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 02:55:43 pm by Subsonic_Noise
Quote from: Blizzard on May 22, 2010, 02:38:01 pm

Now everything makes sense again.

EDIT: I just came up with a wierd idea. You know how dreams sometimes include random details of what happened on that day you don't even really remember? Well, I just thought... why not let this be shown through the music, too? Let's say (terrible example), the protagonist played tetris on the second day. Then, in the next dream sequence, the tetris tune or parts of it will suddenly occur inside of the battle music. If done in the right way, this might be awesome. Just a random thought that came to my mind.

SBR*

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on May 22, 2010, 02:42:50 pm

EDIT: I just came up with a wierd idea. You know how dreams sometimes include random details of what happened on that day you don't even really remember? Well, I just thought... why not let this be shown through the music, too? Let's say (terrible example), the protagonist played tetris on the second day. Then, in the next dream sequence, the tetris tune or parts of it will suddenly occur inside of the battle music. If done in the right way, this might be awesome. Just a random thought that came to my mind.

Wow, that sounds awesome!

The Niche

May 22, 2010, 03:43:14 pm #72 Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 04:57:48 pm by The Niche
Sounds brilliant, in fact. Blizz, I envy your immunity to Sally.

EDIT: Flame, do you want anything in particular to go into the school, any design guidelines or plot points?

Sally

Quote from: Blizzard on May 22, 2010, 01:43:37 pm

<3

tis the only response i can give^

Subsonic_Noise

May 22, 2010, 08:02:14 pm #74 Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 08:09:04 pm by Subsonic_Noise
I tried to write battle music and this is what I did so far. I think I'll need to start something new since it doesn't fit too much, but I thought I'd show it to you anyways.
Unfinshed yet, obviously.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7DVB6INE

EDIT: Of course, these aren't the samples I'd use in the end. It's a five minutes demo to see if you think this is usable.

Vell

Sally speaks da tooth.

I mean she speaks the truth.

The Niche

*Shudders* She also uses her teeth a lot...

Vell

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on May 22, 2010, 02:42:50 pm

This will be awesome.
Quote from: The Niche on May 22, 2010, 03:43:14 pm
Sounds brilliant, in fact. Blizz, I envy your immunity to Sally.

EDIT: Flame, do you want anything in particular to go into the school, any design guidelines or plot points?

Not exactly. Include two separate cafeterias, though. Sally's the head of the mapping department. It's up to her if something is awesome enough or not.

The Niche

Oops. Guess I'll have to do another map as well.

Vell

Also Subsonic: I'm like paranoid or something. Please upload the music to Youtube?

Subsonic_Noise

May 23, 2010, 05:50:43 pm #80 Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 06:05:56 pm by Subsonic_Noise
Quote from: UltaFlame on May 23, 2010, 05:45:29 pm
Also Subsonic: I'm like paranoid or something. Please upload the music to Youtube?

Oh, no problem. Does Newgrounds work, too? I don't have anything to make a video out of it here.
EDIT: ... or I could just send it to you via MSN.

There you go. If we'd keep this style (I don't really know what you thought of) the regular music would be a mix of aphex twin, brian eno and pink floyd. At least the one for dreams.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/335056

Vell

Alright, and from now on, provide a Newgrounds link, and if I like it, give Sally a download link - since she has the laptop that's less likely to bork off and be utterly annihalatedzorz, her laptop is where we're storing and doing all the work on. Also she's the primary mapper.

Subsonic_Noise

Well then, was it alright or should I focus on another style?

Vell

This is good. Sally and I like this.

Subsonic_Noise

Sally

Vell

Sally

Vell

Quote from: lonely_cubone on May 16, 2010, 06:20:02 pm
Well I've got a mic, so I can record something and upload it somewhere as a demo. It's not great quality though, so for the actual voices for the game, I'll need to get a better one. What do you want me to say, and how do you want me to say it?

Oh, and I am a guy by the way. If I understood correctly, you only need a voice actor for the main character, so that should be fine.

I STILL HAVE NO SAMPLE.

Vell

Still no sample.

So, I'm looking for a voice actor.

...Any suggestions?

Also, subsonic: Try, this time, making one that's like sinister. Make it quiet, so that it draws your attention, and make it scary but now ZOMGRAWRSANDDEMONICSOUNDS. ...Basically, I'm asking for something sinister but that ISN'T like Otherworld from Final Fantasy X. Not that that's sinister, but you get the point. Also, if it's possible, add a sort of quieter subtone that sounds angelic, but if it ruins the theme forget that.

lonely_cubone

I'm SO SORRY about the voice sample! I didn't get a chance to do it that day, went away for a week, and completely forgot about it. If you still want me to get you the sample, I can.

Vell

Silentknight72

Maybe I can help... but, my microphone is broken... i need to buy one.....
Sigs: ShowHide

lonely_cubone

I know you're still waiting for this, but I've had tons of schoolwork recently, with exams coming up. I guess in all fairness, if someone else comes along before I do (like Silentknight if he gets a mic), you can take theirs instead. Sorry again :(

Vell

Quote from: UltaFlame on May 29, 2010, 08:44:18 pm
Also, subsonic: Try, this time, making one that's like sinister. Make it quiet, so that it draws your attention, and make it scary but now ZOMGRAWRSANDDEMONICSOUNDS. ...Basically, I'm asking for something sinister but that ISN'T like Otherworld from Final Fantasy X. Not that that's sinister, but you get the point. Also, if it's possible, add a sort of quieter subtone that sounds angelic, but if it ruins the theme forget that.

Hello!

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: UltaFlame on June 08, 2010, 05:06:45 pm
Quote from: UltaFlame on May 29, 2010, 08:44:18 pm

Hello!

O HAI
I'm working on it, though I've got massive problems with my internet connection (it doesn't even properly load google, using my iphone right now) so I couldn't upload anything yet. Got any deadline or something?
Also, there soon are holidays here in germany, which means that I'll get my new laptop and can work nearly fulltime on writing music, so this'll be alot faster.

Vell

no, no deadline. Just wanna know that you know it exists.

Vell

IS ANYBODY DOING ANYTHING.

SBR*

It's the curse of team projects: They're doomed! :urgh:

Silentknight72

My cousin can make ZOMGRAWRSANDDEMONICSOUNDS.
and... I have a mic now......
Sigs: ShowHide

The Niche

ULTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'M NOT LISTED IN THE TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does this mean I have to cosy up to Sally even more?! Because I will do that, no questions asked.

Vell

The Niche

August 01, 2010, 11:09:11 pm #102 Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 11:13:35 pm by The Niche
Thanks. Did you/Sally get my map?

Edit: I'm a mapper equipped with awesome story skills _  _
                                                                              '

Vell

She's busy WoWing right now.

The Niche

WoW that's a long time...