[XP] Versioning for RMX-OS

Started by Blizzard, May 30, 2010, 04:42:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ShinoTakadora

Quote from: Blizzard on September 02, 2015, 01:49:56 pm
This is a network problem. Make sure your firewall and router are configured properly.

But people can play with me on the server, didn't works only auto-update.
Also, if I make a mistake and enter a non-existent file or directory, appears message in the console:
"No such file or directory".
That means that people can connect, I suppose, О.о

Blizzard

I'm really not sure what the problem could be then if people can connect and play.
Make sure that you define only files and folders that actually exist on the server. Otherwise you will likely have problems.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ShinoTakadora

Quote from: Blizzard on September 02, 2015, 04:14:12 pm
I'm really not sure what the problem could be then if people can connect and play.
Make sure that you define only files and folders that actually exist on the server. Otherwise you will likely have problems.

Another small issue. If the client is updated, what should appear in the server console?
Thanking you in advance.

Blizzard

The game should display a message that it needs to be restarted.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ShinoTakadora

Quote from: Blizzard on September 03, 2015, 01:03:48 pm
The game should display a message that it needs to be restarted.

Sorry. Not the game client, namely the server console. :^_^':

Blizzard

I haven't touched this code in years, but quickly looking through the server extension, it probably doesn't print out anything when the server is done sending.

Are you sure you're setting it up right? If there are mistakes in the formatting of the update file, it won't work. Also make sure that the version of the client and the server don't match so that updating is initiated properly. Be careful to use forward slashes (/) when specifying directories instead of backward slashes (/). Also keep in mind that you can't copy files from the server to a client location if that client location doesn't exist in the directory tree. I can't remember exactly, but I don't think I added code to handle this case so it's best to avoid it to be safe.

ShinoTakadora

Quote from: Blizzard on September 03, 2015, 03:49:52 pm
I haven't touched this code in years, but quickly looking through the server extension, it probably doesn't print out anything when the server is done sending.

Are you sure you're setting it up right? If there are mistakes in the formatting of the update file, it won't work. Also make sure that the version of the client and the server don't match so that updating is initiated properly. Be careful to use forward slashes (/) when specifying directories instead of backward slashes (/). Also keep in mind that you can't copy files from the server to a client location if that client location doesn't exist in the directory tree. I can't remember exactly, but I don't think I added code to handle this case so it's best to avoid it to be safe.

Thank you that you spend time on the solution to my problem.
I read all posts in this thread for the fifth time, studying the problems of others. :^_^':

There was another small question.
With each new version of an update of the game, version of the game should be changed in:

(RMX-OS) Options Script - GAME_VERSION = 2
Versioning for RMX-OS Script - INTERNAL_VERSION = 2
Ruby File Versioning for RMX-OS - INTERNAL_VERSION = 2
..and in the server configuration file - GAME_VERSION = 2

Is it right?

However, the game doesn't get updated. I have reviewed all the settings of the router, I tried different combinations of commands, and even now I can't update the game client. When friends trying to update, files appear in the folder "Temp", but still there is an error: "Server is not responding".
I recieved another message "The client has been updated". However, it's not updated, and requires updating again.
In this topic has already appeared people with similar problems, but I can't find a solution. :(

Blizzard

September 04, 2015, 02:53:50 pm #147 Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 02:56:38 pm by Blizzard
GAME_VERSION is not really important for this script. It's only used for display to the player. INTERNAL_VERSION is the one that is being used. The update will start if INTERNAL_VERSION of the client is less than INTERNAL_VERSION on the server. The idea is that a client with e.g. version 4 can ask a server with version 7 to send him the data packs for version 5, then 6, then finally 7. Each datapack should obviously define INTERNAL_VERSION in its scripts differently (5, 6 and 7).

If you're having trouble with the temp folder, try changing it to something else in the client script. This line:

TempDir = ENV['TEMP'].gsub('\\', '/') + '/RMXP_update' # system temp folder

Change it to let's say this:

TempDir = 'temp/'

This might solve the problem of not being able to download and copy the files properly. But IDK if it will solve the "Server did not respond" issue.

EDIT: BTW, I updated the client script in the first post. Something caught my attention that might cause problems so I fixed it quickly.

ShinoTakadora

All right, we have tried many different ways, again.
I can update the client now. :haha:
When my friends trying to update, they are also get registered files in the log "2.txt" and files appeared in a folder "Temp", but the connection is dropped, and the file "Game.rgssad" isn't downloaded completely. It breaks the file, or don't download it fully. :facepalm: