[XP] Versioning for RMX-OS

Started by Blizzard, May 30, 2010, 04:42:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizered67

Are you still looking into my problem? Sorry, but its been a while since there has been a response on this thread......

Blizzard

I got a new laptop just a week ago, I haven't looked into it yet. I'll see if I can go it today or tomorrow.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Trider250

I can't seem to get this script to work. I placed it in the right spot. I just don't understand how to get it to update, I make a new .txt file called 2, and it doesn't do anything.

Blizzard

Have you added any commands in that file? Have you changed the version on the server extension? Have you changed the version on the client?

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Trider250

where do I save the 2.txt file? that may be one problem I am having

Blizzard

Wherever you specify it in the script. That's what the constant VERSION_LOG_PATH is for. It defines the relative path from wherever the server is running.

Trider250

So I have it in a folder located at Extensions\Updates\2.txt, and I changed the VERSION_LOG_PATH to Extensions\Updates, but it still won't update :/

Blizzard

Make sure you use \\ because \ is the escape character in strings. Best you just used /, that one works just fine on Windows operating systems.

Trider250

August 03, 2010, 11:01:36 pm #28 Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 11:16:49 pm by Trider250
ok ,I did that. I have a question though.
if my scripts are located at C:\Users\WindowsUser\Desktop\RMX-OS Client\Data\Scripts.rxdata
how would I make a .txt file?

:file
C:/Users/WindowsUser/Desktop/RMX-OS Client/Data/Scripts.rxdata

and thats it?

oh and I get this error when I try to update

A client at 2010-08-04 03:14:42 UTC has caused an error:
undefined method `gsub!' for nil:NilClass
./Extensions/Updates.rb:54:in `block in client_update'
C:/Users/WindowsUser/Desktop/RMX-OS Server/Extensions/Updates.rb:54:in `each'
C:/Users/WindowsUser/Desktop/RMX-OS Server/Extensions/Updates.rb:54:in `client_update'

C:/Users/WindowsUser/Desktop/RMX-OS Server/Data/Client.rb:43:in `block in handle'
C:/Users/WindowsUser/Desktop/RMX-OS Server/Data/Client.rb:43:in `each_value'
C:/Users/WindowsUser/Desktop/RMX-OS Server/Data/Client.rb:43:in `handle'
C:/Users/WindowsUser/Desktop/RMX-OS Server/Data/Server.rb:275:in `block in run'

Blizzard

The text file is not the file that is transfered, it contains a list of files that should be transfered for the update from the previous version to the version specified by the number in the file name.

Trider250

ok, I understand. But what does this error mean?

A client at 2010-08-04 03:14:42 UTC has caused an error:
undefined method `gsub!' for nil:NilClass
./Extensions/Updates.rb:54:in `block in client_update'
C:/Users/WindowsUser/Desktop/RMX-OS Server/Extensions/Updates.rb:54:in `each'
C:/Users/WindowsUser/Desktop/RMX-OS Server/Extensions/Updates.rb:54:in `client_update'

C:/Users/WindowsUser/Desktop/RMX-OS Server/Data/Client.rb:43:in `block in handle'
C:/Users/WindowsUser/Desktop/RMX-OS Server/Data/Client.rb:43:in `each_value'
C:/Users/WindowsUser/Desktop/RMX-OS Server/Data/Client.rb:43:in `handle'
C:/Users/WindowsUser/Desktop/RMX-OS Server/Data/Server.rb:275:in `block in run'

Blizzard

August 04, 2010, 06:00:57 pm #31 Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 06:02:06 pm by Blizzard
It means that no line could be read because the file was not found at the location that you specified. Or you left the update specification file empty. I think the latter should apply because if the path was incorrect, it should have crashed a few lines before.

Trider250

Blizzard

Are you sure you are running the game with proper permissions? Because that seems to me that Windows is not letting you access the system temp folder.

Trider250

I ran as administrator and it still pops up... Should I create the Directory manually? But what about other users? :/

Blizzard

It was always working fine for me on XP.

If you want, you can change the directory for the temp folder in the script. There should be a piece of code saying ENV['TEMP'] or ENV['TEMP'] + '/'. Just change it to ''. This will put the temporary folder into the game's folder. But that probably isn't so safe either because usually on Vista/7 programs aren't supposed to write into their folder in Program Files. But as I said, you can try.

Trider250

you were right, still no good. :/

G_G

Trider250

August 04, 2010, 09:05:11 pm #38 Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 04:57:03 am by Blizzard
ok, I'll try turning off UAC

EDIT: turned of UAC and it still did not work

Blizzard

Please don't doublepost. Use the Modify button instead.

Well, then I don't really know. Somebody posted the same problem in the topic and I haven't really been able to look into it yet. I'm not sure what's the cause either. :/