Is He REALLY Black?

Started by fugibo, January 24, 2009, 10:54:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fugibo

May 03, 2009, 10:11:31 pm #20 Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 06:16:16 pm by Biker WcW
Oooooooh, I missed this.

My point is:

• His mother was Hawaiian; therefore, by law, he is Hawaiian (go look it up)
  • Most African-Americans have a common heritage in that they went through slavery together, and even before that probably had ancestors in similar tribes and such in Africa. Obama, on the other hand, only has heritage in Kenya, and therefore has no common heritage with the majority of African-Americans.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with calling him Black, but a lot of black people (at least around here) were backing him for no other reason than that he was black, and everyone's like "We finally have a BLACK person as president!" And... they really don't. He's dark-skinned, and his dad was Kenyan, but he's not really all that black. Which kinda ticks me off. It's like all the gray-haired people screaming about Bush getting elected.

tSwitch

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

RoseSkye

May 04, 2009, 12:14:36 am #22 Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 12:36:09 am by RoseSkye
Quote from: Biker WcW on May 03, 2009, 10:11:31 pm
Oooooooh, I missed this.

My point is:

• His mother was Hawaiian; therefore, by law, he is Hawaiian (go look it up)
  • Most African-Americans have a common heritage in that they went through slavery together, and even before that probably had ancestors in similar tribes and such in Africa. Obama, on the other hand, only has heritage in Kenya, and therefore has no common heritage with the majority of African-Americans.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with calling him Black, but a lot of black people (at least around here) were backing him for no other reason than that he was black, and everyone's like "We finally have a BLACK person as president!" And... they really don't. He's dark-skinned, and his dad was Kenyan, but he's not really all that black. Which kinda ticks me off. It's like all the gray-haired people screaming about Bush getting elected.

I missed the memo where Kenya wasn't in Africa

More specifically, East Africa.

By the way, only way to truly settle Blacks voting for him for being black (instead of being Democrat *cough*.. because blacks don't have a history of voting democrat *cough*) is putting someone black that has none of the qualifications that Obama has into 2012's election.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Of course.. I could also bring up the fact that Jesse ran for president and he was also black.. but he lost.

The fact that there were blacks against his elections

... or Kenyans themselves call Obama 'the first African President'

Of course, I heard this talking point many times. I'm not opposing it because Obama's Black (mixed)

I'm Opposing it because it is wrong. "Kenyans have a recorded presence on American soil for over 300 years. The earliest Kenyans were not voluntary immigrants, but were victims of the American slave trade that was not outlawed until 1808. Partly as a result, voluntary migration remained negligible until the last decades of the twentieth century. Between 1980 and 1990, Kenyan immigration more than doubled."

You really should research before you say something, WcW. A simple google search debunks most of the things you say.
I'm just saying.. if someone from Africa isn't African.. I guess someone in Hawaii isn't American.. they're not part of the clusterfuck of states.. right? I guess that means that Native Americans aren't technically Americans because.. they're from America as opposed to not being from America..

tSwitch

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

fugibo

I meant to say that Kenya was eastern, whereas almost all modern African-Americans came from the West (who was gonna go all the way around through the monsoon to get some slaves :P?)

Please, lock this.

Starrodkirby86

Why did you revive this during such a bad point in time? Geez, it's like you asking for more debating to go for...By which I mean, 'debating'.

I would have the Lock emoticon up here, but really that smile on the lock doesn't really fit.

Enjoy this instead:

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).