SSBB

Started by SBR*, June 03, 2010, 02:17:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SBR*

I checked and I know there already once was a topic about this, but that was in the time that SSBB (Super Smash Bros Brawl) wasn't realeased yet, so who's your favourite character?

Mine is Pitt!

Lethal-Yarn

Marth is my main : )

WhiteRose

Samus. I'm not amazing, but I'm not bad either.

Subsonic_Noise

I used to be epic with Ike and Lucario. Played online alot and all that stuff. I once beat three of my friends with Jigglypuff.
Then I played online against merona and she pwned me quite hard, which was why I then gave up being good at video games. :V:

Diokatsu

Honestly, I find Brawl to be vastly inferior to Melee and 64.

I like playing Sonic and Lucario as well as Marth.

winkio

Main reasons why Brawl is not as good as Melee:
tripping (XD), not hit-lag (which means no combos), multiple air dodges, longer lasting dodges, and last but not least, metaknight.  That said, the game is still very fun to play.

I am ridiculously good at smash bros games (all 3).  Blame it on playing against regionally ranked players all freshman year of college.  Anyways, in Brawl, Mario is my main (yay low tier!), Pit is my secondary, but I've taken to playing random, and still holding my own against the awesome people.

Pit is underrated currently, and will probably end up in the top 5 characters fairly soon.

Mario is an awesome character because he is so bad.  He has no priority, no speed, no grab, and no combos.  Because of that, I have to play with a different style (no, not camping).  It's very gimmicky, but it's awesome.  Think of it like loading your gun with bouncy balls instead of bullets: you aren't going to win by just firing at a guy who has real bullets, you have to be creative. 

I guess I like gimmick characters.  That's why I played Zelda in Melee.  So I could just boot people all day.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: winkio on June 03, 2010, 07:43:46 pm
I am ridiculously good at smash bros games (all 3).

Do you get beaten up regularily?
:V

winkio

No.  Because I can also do flips on both the trampoline and normal ground.

EDIT:  And I'm 6'1 and decently muscular.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: winkio on June 03, 2010, 07:58:27 pm
No.  Because I can also do flips on both the trampoline and normal ground.

EDIT:  And I'm 6'1 and decently muscular.

Amazing. You're perfect in every way!

winkio

I'm commandeering this thread into all 3 games from this point onward.

Melee: I main Zelda, because she has so few useful moves.  There's the boot and the downsmash, and thats about it.  Downsides?  Horrible recovery, horrible shield, very light, and slow.  Still a good character, able to deal with all the high tiers.  There's also the fact that everything combos into the boot.  Weak boot to boot, up throw to boot, down throw to boot, up tilt to boot, boot to boot, get hit to boot, dodge to boot, respawn to boot, taunt to boot.  Yeah.

64: I haven't played in ages, but Kirby was awesome.  amazing priority and power.

Diokatsu

If you get get at 64 on an emulator, I'd be glad to play you online.

Tyril132

June 03, 2010, 08:35:32 pm #11 Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 08:50:17 pm by Tyril132
QuoteHonestly, I find Brawl to be vastly inferior to Melee and 64.

I liked the mechanics of Melee better (...excepting the air dash, I was not a fan of that particular exploit,) but feel like they brought in quite a few decent additions to the previous stage/character line-up. I pretty much agree with what Winkio said regarding the game mechanic changes.

Brawl: Snake and Marth are probably my two best characters, but I also play a mean Samus.

Melee: Marth and Samus.

64: Samus and Pikachu (the original Pikachu was broken as hell. Made a great teammate with Ness in competitive 2v2s.)

Edit: HOLY CRAP TYPO. I said I liked the mechanics of Brawl better. *shudder...*
Lv. 7 Writer | Lv. 7 Composer | Lv. 7 Mapper | Lv. 4 Eventer | Lv. 0 Scripter | Lv. 1 Spriter
DSC Project Soundtrack
Personality Index:: ShowHide

Diokatsu

Quote from: Tyril132 on June 03, 2010, 08:35:32 pm
64: Samus and Pikachu (the original Pikachu was broken as hell. Made a great teammate with Ness in competitive 2v2s.)

I'm a big fan of Pikachu. I'm not a Pika-main, but I love him as a teammate. I use spikes too much to attempt Pikachu, so I use Ness, broken spike, and Kirby, awesome recovery.

Vell

In Brawl, I use Shiek/Zelda, Kirby, and Ike as my mains. I'm decent with Toon Link, I can play each of the Pokemon Trainer pokemon at a decent level, I'm playing around with ZSS, I'm not too great with Lucario, but I can play him. I figure it'd be too easy if I used Marth, so I avoid using him. Occasionally I'll play on Random. Also, I tend to use a bunch of the rest of the cast at varying levels of skill

Characters I CAN NOT use: Olimar. Game and Watch. ROB. A few others.

SBR*

Well, this is my list of top characters:

1v1
1. Pit
2. Toon Link/Marth
3. Toon Link/Marth (the other one)
4. Wario (oh yeah!)

2v2
1. Sonic
2. Lucario/Mr. Game&Watch
3. Lucario/Mr. Game&Watch (the other one)

BTW, I didn't know CP members were such big SSB fans :P.

About the 64 vs. Melee vs. Brawl thing:
Well, I never really played 64, but Melee was fun. Too bad Brawl doesn't have Great Bay :'(. Also, I used some glitches, like that slide thingy. I'm missing Dr. Mario... But Brawl has other pro's:
- You can use the WII controller (I use WII + Nunchuck, because I want to have an other play style than I had in melee.).
- Tons of other characters, like Pit, Toon Link (=/= Young Link), Lucario (=/= Mewtwo) and Wario.
- Final Destination is a lot cooler.
- Subspace Emissary (or something like that?). It isn't much of an addition (battling is way more fun), but it can be fun at times.
- ONLINE!
- New stages, like Bridge of Eldin (ah, good memories) and Delfino Plaza
- Some other sucky stages that nobody cares about

Maybe we can exchange friend codes so we can battle? I have to play it more, so I become good again... *goes to WII*

winkio

lol @

sonic being a good character
termina bay being a good stage
new final destination being better
bridge of eldin being a good stage

why?

sonic has no kill moves
termina was rapefest for whoever had the better grab range/speed
new final destination kills recoveries
DeDeDe

Also @ Ulta:  If you know how to C-stick, then you know how to play game and watch at a high level.

Ryex

Kerby and Marth in Melee and Brawl, Ike in Brawl, and Link in Melee

those are the one I'm good at. my stly of play is... strange. I rarely use the A button (I use it more frequently with Marth and Link though). and I'm in the air for about 60% of the fight. I also  almost never use shield or items (unless it is food, smashball or invincible hammer). I'm hardly a good player but I can hold My own with my friends who play both game rather frequently and I don't have console or go to their houses often.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: winkio on June 04, 2010, 08:43:20 pm
lol @

sonic being a good character
termina bay being a good stage
new final destination being better
bridge of eldin being a good stage

why?

sonic has no kill moves
termina was rapefest for whoever had the better grab range/speed
new final destination kills recoveries
DeDeDe

Also @ Ulta:  If you know how to C-stick, then you know how to play game and watch at a high level.

Watch out, we have a professional among us. He studied this game for 20 years and therefore his opinions about it are undeniably right.

Ryex

LOLWHAT?

when did SSB get so serious that sarcasm was necessary?
when it comes to video-games there is no such thing as a right opinion.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

winkio

People programmed these games.  Based on the analysis of this code, you can gather information.  Knowledge and experience are indeed correct.  For example, you can take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitation.  Also, I stated no opinions.  I stated facts.

and here's the experience:
termina bay, I easily four stocked a player that is above my skill level by just picking a good grabbing character.
new final destination, you can get stuck under the overhang very easily with most characters.
Bridge of eldin, dedede can chain garb you to death and you can do nothing to stop it.
and sonic, who I play at a very high level, alas has no kill moves or priority.  He is just not a good character (doesn't mean he is unplayable, I've won against very good players with him).