The worst thing...

Started by shdwlink1993, March 05, 2008, 10:55:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

shdwlink1993

Hi everyone. I was just wondering: What was the worst thing that has happened to your computer. You know, like massive virus attacks, exploding power supplies, Vista, etc.?
Stuff I've made:

"Never think you're perfect or else you'll stop improving yourself."

"Some people say the glass is half full... some half empty... I just wanna know who's been drinking my beer."

Fantasist

About a GB of data corruption. Happened very recently, and I suspect my hard disk is failing...
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Blizzard

March 06, 2008, 10:45:05 am #2 Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 10:46:36 am by BlizzHard
Once the LCD display of my laptop got broken. I had to use my old laptop again. There was no data loss, though.
That laptop got broken 4 months later due to the HDD going crazy. I almost lost around 30 GB of data from which maybe only 5 GB are actually important to me. Though, the problem was that I haven't made a backup for 5 months. I almost lost my game that way. I had to pay almost $130 (the value course NOW, back then it was $100) for the data recovery service. They were able to retrieve 99% of my data and the corrupted 1% were only a couple of music files (which I had a backup of) and some unimportant data files.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Fallen Angel X

Worst thing was me getting pissed off and getting a chainsaw and tearing apart the computer.... (j/k) Actually I take good care of my computer... worst thing ever was a virus  :o

Blizzard

Actually I remember now another PC. Once, when I had an old Pentium 2 on 266MHz, the power supply got fried in the middle of a Zerg Campaign battle in Star Craft - Brood War. I was at the desert stage where you can get up to 5 infected command centers which you had to infect a couple of stages (or just one?) before. I actually never finished Brood War, lol!

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Chaze007

hmmm..true colors? isnt that the one where you kill fenix and dugalle? im a big sc fan w0000h! cant wait for sc2
Always I Wanna Be With You! Make Believe With You!

shdwlink1993

Well... I might as well contribute to my own post :P.

The worst thing that's happened to me on the computer was that my XP spontaneously decided to pretend that all the user information (You know, passwords, start menu, desktop, etc.) was now supposed to be in a different folder. So I ended up having to reinstall Windows... I blame the fact that the computer once had Vista (No seriously! If Vista had not been installed, that would no have happened).

@Fallen Star: I can't wait for SC2 either! Yay! Just hope it doesn't get delayed... and delayed... and delayed... and then put on "Indefinite Hold" like SC: Ghost was.
Stuff I've made:

"Never think you're perfect or else you'll stop improving yourself."

"Some people say the glass is half full... some half empty... I just wanna know who's been drinking my beer."

Phasedscar

My power supply fan failed and caught fire once.  Thankfully I managed to stop it before anything else in my comp got fried.
Spoiler: ShowHide
My own game project & My resource workshop! (respectively)
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=608.0 http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=682.0

What that is? Affection area for flails. - Blizz-ABS, the ultimate ABS

The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB. The height must not exceed 200 px and the width must not exceed 800 px. Altogether they may take up an area of 160000 px2. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

Fantasist

Whoa! Now THAT's... interesting...
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

Flermza

The worst thing, is data corruption.

Fantasist

Tell me about it. I lost about 2 gigs of my mom's files and I'm lucky she understood when I said I couldn't help it.

Vell

the worst thign was when a trillion popups happened every 5 seconds (im barely kidding) and a massive virus nearly killed my computer, three times i had to kill everything on my computer and start from scratch.

Blizzard

That remembers me that I should update my anti-virus definitions. >.< Haven't done that for three weeks.

winkio

haha I haven't done a virus scan/ran any anti-virus software in like 8 months and I just updated and did an AVG scan and I have NO VIRUSES!!!! ROFL!!!!  I PWN!!!!

Blizzard

8 months? And you wonder why you "don't have" any viruses? I'd say that your Anti-Virus simply doesn't detect your viruses, trojans and worms. :P Same happened to my sis' PC before I cleaned it a week ago.

Phasedscar

Updating Windows XP to service pack 2 once caused a total information corruption and I had to format my computer.

Thankfully I had only just installed XP a week previous and then updated it before I had anything important on my comp other than a few 10 gig game installs.
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=608.0 http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=682.0

The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB. The height must not exceed 200 px and the width must not exceed 800 px. Altogether they may take up an area of 160000 px2. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

Blizzard

>.< I was lucky to avoid that when I upgraded to SP2.

Starrodkirby86

My keyboard is falling apart. And no, it's not because I play Stepmania and DDR too much. The involved keys are not the arrow keys miraculously. Either I have magic fingers there or something else. But some of the keys are dying...as in they are unaligned. The problem pertains to this day. I'm very worried.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Phasedscar

Keyboards average lifespan is only 5-8 years.  It's possible the rubber underneath the keys used to make them pop back into place is just wearing out.

If you're not the type to want overly elaborate keyboards they only cost like $10.  The more high end ones (the ones with email, volume, web browsing buttons) will run a bit more, like $35-$100.