[XP] Journal

Started by ForeverZer0, July 06, 2010, 09:26:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ01

Now the game crashes, when I call "$scene = Scene_Journal.new"

ForeverZer0

That probably means something is not being configured correctly, but I will look into it. The lines I removed captured an exception if there was an error referencing the configuration. They would prevent a crash and print the ID that was passed.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

elmangakac

i have the same mistake.... and the only thing that i change was the info of the items.....maybe its the script.... O_o

Heart of Onyx

July 07, 2011, 12:27:02 pm #43 Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:36:11 pm by Heart of Onyx
Having a problem.

My game has quite a few actors in it. (12 to be exact.) And, I keep getting syntax error when I playtest the game. The problem is with the following line:

when 9 then ['Name', 'Race', 'Age', 'Height', 'Weight']  

It's bizarre. If I delete this line, it works. I can't wrap my head around what the problem is.

EDIT: Turns out It was caused by another script. No worries, I fixed it.

Cates

I have a suggestion for an addition: have the journal recognize an actor's name after it has been changed by the player.

For instance, let's say actor 1 is named Serge, and I set up a journal entry for Serge when the game begins. Now, however, if I give the player the option to change Serge's name, and they rename him Bubba, the journal (of course) still says "Serge."

Don't know how possible it is, but It would be really cool if there was a way within the journal to recognize a name input change and change the journal entry.

ForeverZer0

In the config, set the value for the actor's name to:

$game_actors[DATABASE_ID].name

This will display the name dynamically in the scene to what it is currently.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Cates

geebrit

Thank you so much for the wonderful script! It's just what I needed.

I have some questions, if it's alright?

1) How can I delete entries in the journal?
2) How can I replace the default main menu with this journal?

ForeverZer0

* Updates script to 2.4 *

I added script calls for deleting entries.
Basically just added the little scriptlet from this post to the main script.

@geebrit:
I hope the update answers your first question.
As for the second question...

Spoiler: ShowHide
class Scene_Menu

def call_menu
    $game_temp.menu_calling = false
    if $game_temp.menu_beep
      $game_system.se_play($data_system.decision_se)
      $game_temp.menu_beep = false
    end
    $game_player.straighten
    $scene = Scene_Journal.new
  end
end

Just paste that below the default scripts.

geebrit

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on August 09, 2011, 10:57:38 pm
* Updates script to 2.4 *

I added script calls for deleting entries.
Basically just added the little scriptlet from this post to the main script.

@geebrit:
I hope the update answers your first question.
As for the second question...

Spoiler: ShowHide
class Scene_Menu

def call_menu
    $game_temp.menu_calling = false
    if $game_temp.menu_beep
      $game_system.se_play($data_system.decision_se)
      $game_temp.menu_beep = false
    end
    $game_player.straighten
    $scene = Scene_Journal.new
  end
end

Just paste that below the default scripts.

Works like a charm!

At first the menu replacement didn't work, but I realized you probably meant "Scene_Map" and not "Scene_Menu." It's looking great now. Thanks for all of the help!  :haha:

ForeverZer0

Ooops, yeah, that should be Scene_Map. :P

A Better Bard

I fiddled with this a bit, but the extent of my scripting knowledge wasn't enough to accomplish my goal.

How would I embed new categories in each section?

So lets say I select 'People', it would give me another list categories like 'Heroes', 'Villains', 'Gods', and each one of those would have the usual selections with info... For example.

:)

ForeverZer0

This script is rather simple and is not really set up for that.  There is no simple and quick explanation on how to do it, you kinda just need to know scripting well enough.  Basically, create a sub-window with configurable commands, and update methods for each that will take you to the appropriate entry when selected.

A Better Bard

Thaat's what I figured. I guess i'll just mess around with it some more until something works. Hah, thanks.

Love the script by the way!

hyakkivn

How can I call this script from menu bar.
Quote$scene = Scene_Journal.new

One more question: How can I add the point adding system after level up in the menu bar as well.
Actually, I'm a :n00b: and don't know about scripting, for the Point adding system that I found in this forum, I have to create an event and call the script from that event. It is unconfortable. 

Solusandra

Hey, sorry for bumping up an old topic. I'm loving this script, I was just wondering how you could make an item show up in blue or something when it's a new addition.

I fiddled around a bit, I figure you want a true / false trigger so when you do the "add" entry it flags as new, then when you read it, the read sets the trigger to false / read. Might help if a script trigger can flag it as new as well, in case the entry gets updated (which I figured out pretty readily, but that unfortunately is the limit of my own script customising abilities)