[XP] Telekinesis thingy

Started by Karltheking4, June 16, 2010, 01:06:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Karltheking4

June 16, 2010, 01:06:21 am Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 01:07:23 am by Karltheking4
Okay...
I need help with a telekinesis thing. I feel ashamsed because I'm probably the nooby-est guy here but I would like some help.

Okay the idea is, when you press shift a purple cursor ball thing comes out from the player. The player stops moving and the arrow keys now controll the purple cursor ball thing. When the ball goes over an object (like a chair) the object will move along with the ball.

I have messed around with this and have been able to make something half usable, but requires amazingly long events and excessive amounts of variables that lags so much that it makes me want to throw up until my head explodes...  (I'll put up some pictures of what I've manged to do in a second)

I know that this is probably incredibly hard to understand and I'll explain more if you want me to.

(XP)

Lobstrosity

Okay, here is an idea of how it could work.

Make it so that once you press the shift key, you change character to the 'Telekinesis Ball,' where you cannot access your menu and all the rest. Then create an event on each 'Following' object and set to player touch, so that when you touch that object, the event will follow you. If you need to, you can even make events that you step on, so that the object(s) will stop following you.

This may not work but give it a shot!
Don't come any closer. I'm armed... with SCIENCE!

Karltheking4

June 16, 2010, 02:43:16 am #2 Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 02:44:56 am by Karltheking4
8-O
how on earth did I miss that!?!?! :argh:
I've been using x and y variables for every event! :argh:
Thankyou!!! :haha: :haha: :bow:

While I'm here, how do I make the menu and whatnot not open?

Lobstrosity

To disable the menu, look on the first page of your event commands and go to 'Change menu access.' Set it to disable.

Karltheking4

Hehe, I knew that! :^_^':
Okay, hit another kind of problem. Is there a type of conditional branch thing, that when the player moves right, such and such happens?
I've been using "if right button is pressed" but it makes the event move too far, or not enough. Any ideas?

Lobstrosity

If the 'following' object has its move route set to follow you and you have the problem that it is going to far, you might possibly have the move route set to 'Repeat Action.' If so, click the box to disable repeat. There is a very simple method to make an object follow you that I just found.  :^_^':

Edit the events for whatever objects you want to follow you and create two event pages. On the first page, leave it on all of the default settings, like action button, fixed move route, ect. Then, create an event command (still on the first page) and insert text. (This is optional, if you don't want text, exclude this part) Make the text say something like: Do you wish for this item to follow you? And have a yes/no option. When no is selected, make it 'branch end,' and when yes is selected, create a switch for the 'Control Switches' setting, and set it to ON.

Now over to page 2! In the top left corner, tick the 'Switches' box, and set it to your newly made switch. Then go down to the 'Autonomous Movement' and set the type to custom. Edit the move route so its only options are 'Turn Toward Player' (As the first option) and 'Move Toward Player' (As the second) and remember to keep the repeat action ticked. (Despite what I said above  :haha: ) Click okay and exit out of the event. This will hopefully work!

This seems like an interesting idea, with the 'Telekinesis Ball Thing,' and I look forward to seeing it in action!  :)

Karltheking4

Holy crap your good! :haha:
*levels*