Cellshaded - Feedback please

Started by SBR*, June 29, 2010, 06:16:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SBR*

June 29, 2010, 06:16:07 am Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 11:05:45 am by SBR*
Hello all!

Why is there no resource troubleshooting board? Well, I think my topic has to be here?

As you've maybe heard in the General Discussion board, I'm back and I want to continue my RMX-OS game - a game I'm planning to make cell-shaded. I looked good at some SS's of cell-shaded game (TLOZ: WW FTW :P!), and I figured how to make something cell-shaded. So, I made a tree cell-shaded (took me over two hours) and made a shadow auto-tile (took me a bit less than 1 hour): can somebody give me some feedback please?

This is my first REAL edit, one of my first attempts to pixel-arting and my first-autotile ever, so that might be the reason why it took so long.

IMG - version1: ShowHide

IMG - version2: ShowHide

NOTE: The question now is: contours or not for the trees. The stumps HAVE got contours atm.

Thank you! :urgh:

G_G

It looks very cartoonish, if thats what you're going for great, if not then you might want to add a few more shades. Also next time just post in the Resources thread if you need criticism.

SBR*

Blizz moved it here. I placed it in Recourse Requests.

I have an updated version! I will post it.

And yeah, Cell-Shaded is cartoonish, like in the Wind Waker from the The Legend of Zelda series. I now need feedback on what is better for the trees: contours or not. Thank you for your feedback, G_G!

legacyblade

I like the idea of this. I personally love cell shading, but haven't seen it done in an RMXP game yet. However, I think just mimicking the RTP shading and making it cell-ish doesn't quite work. I know this isn't how you did it, but it currently looks like you screwed up in a recolor job or messed around with the contrast and levels.The RTP, while slightly cartoony, has a bit of realism in it's shading. Cell shading is totally different and needs to be approached differently. Look at the RTP shading in relation with the graphics from majora's mask and the graphics in wind waker. see if you notice a difference in how the shading is done (rather than just the amount of colors)

G_G

Quote from: SBR* on June 29, 2010, 10:57:26 am
Blizz moved it here. I placed it in Recourse Requests.

I have an updated version! I will post it.

And yeah, Cell-Shaded is cartoonish, like in the Wind Waker from the The Legend of Zelda series. I now need feedback on what is better for the trees: contours or not. Thank you for your feedback, G_G!

Ah okay, didnt see that the topic was moved.

SBR*

June 29, 2010, 12:47:34 pm #5 Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 01:04:57 pm by SBR*
Quote from: legacyblade on June 29, 2010, 11:27:47 am
I like the idea of this. I personally love cell shading, but haven't seen it done in an RMXP game yet. However, I think just mimicking the RTP shading and making it cell-ish doesn't quite work. I know this isn't how you did it, but it currently looks like you screwed up in a recolor job or messed around with the contrast and levels.The RTP, while slightly cartoony, has a bit of realism in it's shading. Cell shading is totally different and needs to be approached differently. Look at the RTP shading in relation with the graphics from majora's mask and the graphics in wind waker. see if you notice a difference in how the shading is done (rather than just the amount of colors)

Thanks! I will work on that!

EDIT: Hmm, the problem is that there are no real trees in the WW, only palm trees... BTW, well, 'mimicking'... I just copied the image and made the darker parts dark and the lighter parts light :D.

EDIT: I tried couching, but that just looks even more horrible in Cell-Shaded-style than in any other.

legacyblade

Ya, I figured that's how you were doing your cell shading (I know the RTP sprites well :P). And wind waker does have a few real trees. In addition to the great deku tree, forest temple, and that giant thorny palace (can't remember the name), there were some regular trees on windset. Here's a link to the best reference image I could find.

Spoiler: ShowHide

I think windset isle has a really good verity of terrain. If you're serious about doing cell shaded sprites, I'd suggest plopping in good old windwaker and taking a look around with an eye for how they did what they did. You could also check out Tales of Symphonia 1.

SBR*

June 29, 2010, 03:40:06 pm #7 Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 03:55:31 pm by SBR*
Quote from: legacyblade on June 29, 2010, 02:56:50 pm
Ya, I figured that's how you were doing your cell shading (I know the RTP sprites well :P). And wind waker does have a few real trees. In addition to the great deku tree, forest temple, and that giant thorny palace (can't remember the name), there were some regular trees on windset. Here's a link to the best reference image I could find.

Spoiler: ShowHide

I think windset isle has a really good verity of terrain. If you're serious about doing cell shaded sprites, I'd suggest plopping in good old windwaker and taking a look around with an eye for how they did what they did. You could also check out Tales of Symphonia 1.

Ty, I couldn't find an image for it :D. I will look for some images of ToS, since I don't want to enter WW again: I closed that chapter of my video-game history.

EDIT: I looked up some of images of ToS, but I don't find them really cell-shaded. At least, not as cell-shaded as WW (maybe I only find images of ToS:DNW?). I guess those trees are good for now; I can't really find a way to make those trees be less realistic: the trees in WW look quite realistic too. Anybody has any ideas for the tall grass? Maybe I'll make it something else, like flowers or something. Can somebody please help me with my MySQL trouble? Check my thread in the General Troubleshooting board :urgh:.

legacyblade

The trees do look realistic, but they are cell shaded. They just have a lot of definition for the leaves and such. Only simple geometry (a cartoon dude) is super simpleized (like link).

SBR*

Quote from: legacyblade on June 29, 2010, 04:32:25 pm
The trees do look realistic, but they are cell shaded. They just have a lot of definition for the leaves and such. Only simple geometry (a cartoon dude) is super simpleized (like link).

I guess I don't know how to make something cell-shaded then. I'll stick with my style for now.

legacyblade

I think you're cell shaded style isn't bad, I was just giving some pointers on a way to improve. Cell shading is hard for sprites. I think minish cap might be a better example, since it's sorta cell shaded.

WhiteRose

Quote from: legacyblade on June 29, 2010, 04:41:57 pm
Cell shading is hard for sprites.

This. I think capturing the essence of cell-shading in a 2D project would be extremely difficult. Though you're making a noble attempt, if I were in your position, I would try something else. On the other hand, if you manage to pull this off properly it would certainly make for a unique RMXP game, so maybe you should continue to put effort into it.

SBR*

June 30, 2010, 03:30:07 am #12 Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 07:37:19 am by SBR*
Thank you for the feedback all. I think I'm going to look at TLOZ: PA and TLOZ: ST for more examples, since these are already in (almost) the same (I think I used the wrong word here, so I fixed it ->)angle as RMXP.

Silentknight72

if u mean cell shaded, similar to 3d?
Sigs: ShowHide

SBR*

Quote from: Silentknight72 on June 30, 2010, 07:29:32 am
if u mean cell shaded, similar to 3d?

Maybe I used the wrong word? I meant 'angle'.

Subsonic_Noise

Just to clear this up, cellshading isn't directly a graphic style, but rather a sytyle of. yep, shading, which is often used in anime. That doesn't mean it has to be "comic-y", just look at hellsing - thats a special type of cellshading and it doesn't look too much like windwaker, does it?
That being said, I think you're on the right way. Just add some structure to the ground and find a way to do outlines that don't distract too much and this might turn out awesome. Btw, someone on RRR is doing a similar thing.

Silentknight72

Sigs: ShowHide

SBR*

Not exactly. If u search for images of the Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass or the Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, you can see the angle of the view: just like in RMXP.