The Dark Tower Journey

Started by CircleDrain, July 01, 2010, 08:58:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CircleDrain

July 01, 2010, 08:58:45 am Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 05:44:04 am by CircleDrain
Hello,

Im CircleDrain. Im not very popular in the english community, but in germany-community  they know me. Maybe you alread know the titel. Yes I wanted to create a game from a popular book. The Dark Tower written by Stephen King. If you dont know the book, it doesnt matter.

Now some details:

Story:

In the story, Roland Deschain is the last living member of a knightly order known as gunslingers and the last of the line of "Arthur Eld", his world's analogue of King Arthur. The world he lives in is quite different from our own, yet it bears striking similarities to it. Politically organized along the lines of a feudal society, it shares technological and social characteristics with the American Old West but is also magical. While the magical aspects are largely gone from Mid-World, some vestiges of them remain, along with the relics of a highly advanced, but long vanished, society. Roland's quest is to find the Dark Tower, a fabled building said to be the nexus of all universes. Roland's world is said to have "moved on", and indeed it appears to be coming apart at the seams--mighty nations have been torn apart by war, entire cities and regions vanish without a trace and time does not flow in an orderly fashion. Even the Sun sometimes rises in the north and sets in the east. As the series opens, Roland's motives, goals and age are unclear, though later installments shed light on these mysteries.

We work with the RPG Maker XP.

Looking for:

-Mappers-
1. CircleDrain

-Graphical-

-Scripters-

- Spriter-
1. CircleDrain
2. Lobstrosity

-Eventer-
1. CircleDrain
2. lonely_cubone

-Composer-
1. lonely_cubone
2. Subsonic_Noise

Artworker

If you think im a noob here 3 Screens from me ;)
http://s10.directupload.net/file/d/2207/vmxdlj7r_png.htm
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1961/jojoasdo.png
http://s10.directupload.net/images/100523/d6b664wt.jpg
( The Sprites in the 2 Rooms are done by me and Daru)

Well if you are interested jsut write in this topic or a PN ;)

SBR*

You know that you can't script in RM2k3, right?

lonely_cubone

You know, I've also just started working on a Dark Tower game. I'm just wondering, are you planning on following the plot of the series, or are you going to make a different plot based on the world(s) King established? See, I had an idea for a related, but different, plot. Maybe we could combine our ideas or something?

I'll send you a PM explaining it. I'm assuming you've read the whole series, but just in case I'm wrong, I'll put spoilers in a... well, a spoiler.

Also, I'd really recommend using XP as opposed to 2k3. 2k3 is fine and all, and the default battle system is much better than the default XP one, but just using the scripts from this site, even just ones made by Blizzard, will easily make the whole game much more fun and original than practically anything that can be done with 2k3.

CircleDrain

And how you are going to make an own Battle system if you dont script it?

You got a mail Lonely :)

SBR*

By using a BS that somebody else scripted :urgh:.

CircleDrain

Then try to copy it, have fun ;)

You will need 10 month to copy it and to understand it.
You cant just copy it, too much variables, switches and commands. You cant just copy m8.

And to be honest, if I start such a project I dont copy any graphics or systems...

SBR*

Quote from: CircleDrain on July 01, 2010, 02:03:31 pm
Then try to copy it, have fun ;)

You will need 10 month to copy it and to understand it.
You cant just copy it, too much variables, switches and commands. You cant just copy m8.

And to be honest, if I start such a project I dont copy any graphics or systems...

I think cube was talking about RMXP with scripts.

G_G

Bit of a mix up here. Cube is referring to scripts for rmxp, we dont see many rm2k/3 projects here.
Now circle is referring to scripts as in events for rm2k/3

CircleDrain

It doesnt matter anymore, me and Lonely agree to use XP :)

Lobstrosity

If you need some help with that project, I can help you! I am a big fan of the Dark Tower series, and I'm not bad with XP either.
Don't come any closer. I'm armed... with SCIENCE!

CircleDrain

Subsonic_Noise

I could probably write some music for you every now and then.. don't expect me to be fast, though. But I won't have much to do for the next 6 weeks except writing music. So yeah, tell me when you need some and I'll see what I can do... and just ignore that this is the 6th project I'm volunteering for.. oh well, I never got any requests from 3 of them, so it should be okay.

CircleDrain

You got a PM :)

We need some more ;)

King Munkey

I'm not really doing much with RMXP anymore. But I love The Dark Tower series. And are you creating your own story for the game? Or are you going by the books?

G_G Is my hero!
Munkey != monkey
Munkey > monkey

CircleDrain

First we wanted to make an own Story but we decided to use the Story from the book.
We only change little things. Because the game need gameplay and some options ;)
We try to get an balance between story and more free options. For the fun :)

SBR*

I can make some maps if you want to. It's the so-many'th project I'm helping with too, and I should be busy with the RPG Academy... But feel free to ask me :P. GL :urgh:!

CircleDrain

Thx SBR, if we need your help you will get a PM from me :)

Member update...

We dont need an Eventer or Composer anymore.

SBR*

You're welcome. I need to keep my mapping skills good anyway :D!

BTW, I don't like mapping big cities, but towns are okay :urgh:!

CircleDrain

It would be really nice, if you can send me an example :)

Just to see ;)

SBR*

I have an example of a forest somewhere. Hang on...