Experimental response to S.P.A.M.

Started by Blizzard, July 10, 2010, 04:18:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

The other day I got a mail from a guy I didn't know. I already could tell by his name. At first I thought it would be somebody asking about RMXP so I already mentally prepared to tell him that I'm retired and that he should come here if he needs help while I was opening the mail.

While I was reading that mail, I realized it has nothing to do with RMXP. In fact, it was S.P.A.M.. But the mail was unconventionally structured for S.P.A.M. and didn't get caught by the S.P.A.M. filter either. Here it is:

QuoteHey
how are you recently ?
I would like to recommend you a very good company and the website is www.godool.com.
It can offer you all kinds of electronic products ,such as  laptops ,gps ,TV LCD ,cell phones ,ps3 ,MP3/4, and so on.
You can take some time to have a look ,there must be something you like .
Hope you can enjoy yourself in shopping from that company !
Regards !

So here I am, reading that mail and realizing that this was written by an actual person. The mail was way too unconventional to be an automated message. Maybe that's even the reason why the S.P.A.M. filter never picked it up.
I decided to reply (obviously quoting his original message so he knows what's it about). Let's troll the man a little bit. :devil:

QuoteYour IP and other personal information has been forwarded to the FBI and your ISP. Expect a criminal charge and your internet connection to be shut down forever in near future.

I went offline. Over the course of the next 6 hours I would get 3 more mails. But it's not what you'd expect, those mails weren't S.P.A.M..

QuoteHave you forwarded my IP to the FBI? My account has somehow gotten hacked and sent spam, but I'll be changing my password and other settings now.

QuoteI don't live in the US. I don't know how his will affect your previous message, however, I really hope what you told me to expect wont come true. I think it is very unlikely because of two reasons:
1: The mail wasn't sent by a mail server owned by me, but with one of googles mail servers.
2: It was a one time event.

It seems very unlikely to me that the FBI would take down my internet because spam was sent from my googlemail account ONCE, however, I am very unexperienced about the FBI and spam, therefore I can't be certain about this. If you have sent my IP to the FBI, could you please contact them again, and tell them that this was a one time event and that it will never happen again.

QuoteSorry, I am very stupid. As I didn't send the e-mails (from my IP), I have nothing to worry about. You see the message was sent from China, not from sweden where I live, so it doesn't matter for me if you did so. I also doubt that gmail gives the senders IP out, but with all the spam these days it wouldn't surprise me.

I never replied to that guy to any of those messages. He already did a pretty good job scaring himself, he didn't need me for that. I laughed my ass off so hard.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

this is why little kids should not be on the internet unsupervised.

The Niche

Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

fugibo

oh god i hope they don't take down my internet

it'd be almost as bad as them trying me as a criminal or something

SBR*

Was it a joke? Oh, yay! They won't take down my internet! :V:

stripe103

I agree with you Blizzard, he did scare himself up quite good. I would, just to make him feel better, send an email to him telling that the first email you sent to him also was spam because of a virus in your computer. Sure, it was very funny, but if I send a such thing I would feel better explaining it(truth or lie, you choose). I mean, if I would get an email like that, I wouldn't feel too good.

Blizzard

From his 3rd e-mail I understood that he already disregarded my mail so I didn't see much point in it. Besides, his Internet is still there. I got that e-mail a month ago.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

stripe103

Oh, well then it isn't very much needed  :^_^':

SBR*

Well, I agree with stripe: maybe he's still scared... A bit...

Blizzard

As I said, it's been a month. He probably forgot about it.

SBR*

Subsonic_Noise

The Niche

Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!