Inception

Started by winkio, July 17, 2010, 10:27:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Diokatsu

Quote from: fugibo on July 24, 2010, 07:23:06 pm
nothing like The Matrix. fairly interesting and the fight scenes weren't annoying. wasn't really that great, though. inspired.

I disagree with your opinion and would like you to revise it.

fugibo

Quote from: Diokatsu on July 24, 2010, 07:59:36 pm
Quote from: fugibo on July 24, 2010, 07:23:06 pm
nothing like The Matrix. fairly interesting and the fight scenes weren't annoying. wasn't really that great, though. inspired.

I disagree with your opinion and would like you to revise it.

it's definitely the best movie out right now, but it's still not "great" or anything like The Matrix beyond the questioning of reality. and it was rather inspired.

Diokatsu

I agree. It was better than the Matrix and a very different plot.

But I think you're underselling how good it was.

Blizzard

Watched it. Great movie. The cliffhanger killed me. xD But it was the dot on the I.

Haven't seen a good movie like this in a while. Was totally worth my time and money. <3
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

poxy

August 12, 2010, 05:33:06 pm #24 Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 05:39:12 pm by poxysmash
I was thinking about it and it seems to me if you consider the hints in the movie you can determine that the movie ends with one possibility. Or could be that Chris Nolan didn't consider the parts I'm thinking of (though he's been writing it for about 10 (?) years).
My Project: ShowHide

Blizzard

August 13, 2010, 02:16:14 am #25 Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 02:18:19 am by Blizzard
Actually you're wrong.

Spoiler: ShowHide
You can't know the ending of the movie. He could still be sleeping at Yusuf's place. Remember when he tried his sedatives and woke up in a shock? He ran to the bathroom and wanted to test his totem but got interrupted. At the end of the movie, he could still be at Yusuf's place. Before that event he did test his totem once and it wasn't a dream. But after recruiting Yusuf he never checked on his totem again until the very end of the movie.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

poxy

Well here's my take on it...

Warning, if you haven't watch the movie yet this may ruin it:
Actually when he got distracted the totem fell to the floor, he came back to pick it up and it wasn't spinning. What I'm talking about are all those dream scenes where he remembers his kids. The kids always behave the same, always look the same age, wear the same clothes. At the end of the movie that same scene replays it self as he remembered it. Seem suspicious?
I think he and probably Yusuf never returned from limbo at the end. The scene where they are trying to remember their past doesn't play out to the end. So at the end it seems to me he is still dreaming. The good side to that is he forgets about the top, he accepts it as reality without question. He may forget about the top completely and let it disappear since it is a dream.

Vell

If the top is the Totem, then the whole thing is Mol's dream. You know, the wife's. Which would bring into question EVERYTHING.

Blizzard

I don't think it's the age of the kids since I think that not much time passed since the incident, though, I don't remember if that was mentioned. But that explanation seems plausible to me.

@Ulta: At one point early in the movie, he spins it and it falls. So that one wasn't a dream.

Vell

I meant at the end; the ending is the big thing everyone's all goin' on about. If the top does or doesn't fall. It's confusing to me 'cause when he first spins it it looks like its about to fall over, then when we go back to it its upright again. The top was Mal's(official spelling from the credits) totem; if it doesn't then the end, at least, is Mal's dream. Meaning somehow she's alive or something, so forgetting the whole part where he spun a top earlier, the dream he was in at the end would have Mal as the architect. Which, as I said, opens up a myriad of questions. Or brings into quesiton the entire movie.

poxy

I'm not sure but I think when they got on the topic of the totems, he said it was Mol's idea. They create the totems in the waking world and their symbols transfer over into the dream. So the top being in the movie doesn't necessarily mean it's her dream, but that he made use of it after she was gone.

Just to add my thoughts: if you haven't seen someone for a while you generally remember them as you've last seen them. It's only after you see them again that you're surprised at how much they've changed. I don't think they mention in the movie how long he's been exiled, but the conversations he has with his partner and father make it seem like a while (possibly years).

Delusian

If you're trying to work out theories I really recommend:

http://www.reelmovienews.com/2010/07/what-did-it-mean-the-ending-of-inception-explained/comments-2.html

It has literally hundreds, I've read them all lol I thought I had a good theory going until i read someone saying

'ever stop to consider the spinning top totem is mel's and the kids are his?'

Which thre me completely into 'damn so it COULD still be a dream'.

Because I was thinking, having a spinning totem is stupid. Everyone knows it falls. He says it just keeps spinning if hes dreaming'. We never saw proof of this. We only ever see it fall over. Which leads me to believe, the totem migth actually play very little in the entire story'.

My absolute fav theory is this

He's asleep on the plane. The entire movie is all in his head. This can be supported because the people in the film could have been projections of his subconscious because they were the last people he saw. The whole film is just him trying to get over his wife, hence he's the only character with real depth. All the rest are just their helping him.