3 blizz abs questions :P

Started by Zexion, July 23, 2010, 05:47:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Zexion

Okay so I've used blizz abs in most of my games that i make for friends (because lets face it no other abs even compare)
and I like how customizable it is, but anyway my question is:
What exactlly are these combos, and how would i use them?
Another thing i might need to know is:
How do I make a projectile?

Blizzard

You have all necessary information in the manual, you should read it.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

stripe103

Quote from: Zexion on July 23, 2010, 05:47:31 am(because lets face it no other abs even compare)

Actually, I think XAS do, but it depends on what functions you want to have :D

Zexion

Yeah it's just that the manual wouldn't open for some reason, so i restarted the computer, but still wouldn't open. Eventually I opened my task manager and stopped the 4  html help executable processes, and after that it popped open, so I'm reading it now :P

P.S. XAS is super hard to configure for noobs like me :)

Blizzard

Try to get an external CHM Viewer. Are you running Windows Vista / Windows 7? I put a link to an article that has a fix present if it won't work, that might help.

The manual is the alpha and omega of Blizz-ABS. If you can't open it, you're going to miss out on important features. >.< You should really try to get it running.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

SBR*

Quote from: stripe103 on July 23, 2010, 07:00:11 am
Quote from: Zexion on July 23, 2010, 05:47:31 am(because lets face it no other abs even compare)

Actually, I think XAS do, but it depends on what functions you want to have :D

With BlizzABS, you can do anything you can do with XAS, it sometimes is just harder. I don't know about hookshots, but still... Combo's? 1-0 : BlizzABS - XAS. And BlizzABS has got really smart enemies.

Lethal-Yarn

Hookshots is deinitely doable, now I think I will tinker with it and figure it out later today.

Blizzard

You can just use a whip and an event that uses whips as triggers to make the player jump over (aka Secret of Mana style).

winkio

Or, for a better hookshot:

1.  Create a shooting projectile skill.
2.  Give it an invisible projectile.
3.  Make the penalty decently long.
4.  Animate the hookshot into the skill sprite.
5.  Make a hookshot post enemy event that is an object.
6.  Make a skill (or item, whichever you made it as) trigger for the hookshot.
7.  Event the hookshot ability (make the player through, step toward this event until adjacent, make player not through).

Aaaaand you're done.  Now will someone please explain to me why they feel the need to copy an original game mechanic from some nintendo game instead of making up their own?

Zexion

I actually have no idea how a hook shot came up lol. The projectile I was referring to was going to be a bullet thing.
Anyways I did read the parts that i needed help on in the manual, but im still a little lost :P

I don't under stand the concept of the combos lol
Is it like the attacks get stronger as you fight, or just more than one attack at once or what?

Wizered67

To can configure combos to do different things.....

winkio

Right, combos allow to do things beyond the default capabilities of Blizz-ABS.  Such as use multiple attacks and skills at once, or attack in chains, etc.  It pretty much lets you do anything you want for attacks and skills that you cant normally do.

Blizzard

July 23, 2010, 09:21:00 pm #12 Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 09:22:08 pm by Blizzard
Quote from: winkio on July 23, 2010, 07:30:55 pm
Now will someone please explain to me why they feel the need to copy an original game mechanic from some nintendo game instead of making up their own?

I just wanted to prove the point that hookshots can be incredibly simple:

Quote from: SBR* on July 23, 2010, 01:35:54 pm
With BlizzABS, you can do anything you can do with XAS, it sometimes is just harder. I don't know about hookshots, but still...

I am very well aware that you can put together a very nice (and small!) hookshot system in Blizz-ABS, winkio. ^_^

SBR*

Quote from: winkio on July 23, 2010, 07:30:55 pm
Or, for a better hookshot:

1.  Create a shooting projectile skill.
2.  Give it an invisible projectile.
3.  Make the penalty decently long.
4.  Animate the hookshot into the skill sprite.
5.  Make a hookshot post enemy event that is an object.
6.  Make a skill (or item, whichever you made it as) trigger for the hookshot.
7.  Event the hookshot ability (make the player through, step toward this event until adjacent, make player not through).

Aaaaand you're done.  Now will someone please explain to me why they feel the need to copy an original game mechanic from some nintendo game instead of making up their own?

But if you want the player to jump to the hookshotted object, you will need to do more things. This can be done with scripts, of course, but that would be harder for people that have no scripting knowledge at all.

Blizzard

Just use a jump instead of move command.

SBR*

IK, but it would be harder for non-scripters...

Valdred

SBR*

Quote from: Darth u-just-got-pwned on July 31, 2010, 12:19:14 pm
To use the jump command?

Not THAT hard, but you still have to know about $game_variables and suchlike.

Valdred

$game_variables is the same variables that you use in eventing.  :huh: