[RGSS3] First Success Story

Started by Calintz, April 16, 2012, 09:40:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Calintz

so i'm pretty happy to report that i had my first breakthrough with scripting this morning. i have spent the passed two days doing much research on ruby (rgss in specific), and today i began experimenting with the script editor for the first time. i read that the one of the best routes to take while learning rgss is to understand variables. then, understand how methods and classes work. do your best to understand arrays and hashes. i understand all but the hash tables. i understand that hash tables are basically you telling values where to be stored, but i haven't worked with them yet personally, so i won't claim to fully understand them.

anyway, i added the load scene into the default menu with success, so i'm pretty stoked right now. these baby steps are the beginning to great things.

ForeverZer0

The first time you make a script, or even an edit that actually works, and you understand what you did, is pretty exciting. :)

Its a breakthrough that takes a bit to get there, but once you do, you can start leaning at a much faster rate by applying what you know. Good job. ;)
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Calintz

i'm amazed at how much you learn by simply sitting down and reading every single line of the rgss help file and every single script in the script editor. truthfully, that would be my advice to any user who is just starting out with their scripting endeavors. read, read, read, because i had an epiphany, and it worked for me. are you ready for this? "how can i possibly hope to edit something if i don't first understand it in its entirety?" that question was the drive to persevere and understand as much as i could about the default scripts and the ruby language in general. i feel like it's only a matter of time before i really get rolling now.

not many users at chaos project use rmvxace, or even rmvx for that matter, as their default editor, but the chaos project is home to me. the fact that it has very little resources for the newer editors (which i know many are loyal to XP, but i think the newer editors are growing to be better than XP) makes me a little sad. chaos project is where i want to be for everything game-related, but i feel almost like i'm on an island by myself in that i'm one of the few users who are using the newest editor; which is why i want to strive to become a reputable scripter for rmvxace amongst my other talents here at chaos project.

thank you very much for your support foreverZer0!