[XP] Advanced Time and Environment System

Started by fugibo, March 09, 2008, 11:08:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Valcos

How bout we name it after its finished :roll:
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

King Munkey

With a finished product you know what it can do and what it cannot do then that way you can name it accordingly.

G_G Is my hero!
Munkey != monkey
Munkey > monkey

Blizzard

Well, it has the specs so I chose a name according to it even though the "Environment" and the "Advanced" part isn't supported in 0.3x. ._.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

fugibo

Oh, yeah. I've got a lot of work done on this now, guys, btw. Calendar is implemented through months (as in, it has days, weeks, and named months with differing days), and clock is fully implemented (configurable number of seconds in a minute, minutes in an hour, and hours in a day, as well as configurable names). I'm working on optimizing and getting actually useful stuff (ie the effects) ready, then I'll release it.

Blizzard

Nice work. What about generated temperatures, seasons and bad weather probability?

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

fugibo

That will be added in when I implement the Weather module (right now I only have Clock and Calendar, both of which are working perfectly)

Right now, I'm planning on implementing Weather by having the user be able to set different periods -- for example, have Summer generally be hotter and Winter generally be colder by setting which day of which month each season starts and what kind of season it is, then blending season together (ie summer cools back down to the upper 70s nearing Fall), then having El Nina/El Nino like situations, etc. On top of all that I'll have randomly-generated weather. Of course, I'll also have to add stuff like beginning and ending temperatures for the day and ways to make that change based on location (ie deserts have much higher temperatures than everywhere else during the day, as well as much colder nights). This'll be a LOT of work.

Aqua

Quote from: WcW on June 01, 2009, 02:38:05 pm
Oh, yeah. I've got a lot of work done on this now, guys, btw. Calendar is implemented through months (as in, it has days, weeks, and named months with differing days), and clock is fully implemented (configurable number of seconds in a minute, minutes in an hour, and hours in a day, as well as configurable names). I'm working on optimizing and getting actually useful stuff (ie the effects) ready, then I'll release it.

Quote from: WcW on June 01, 2009, 02:57:32 pm
That will be added in when I implement the Weather module (right now I only have Clock and Calendar, both of which are working perfectly)

Right now, I'm planning on implementing Weather by having the user be able to set different periods -- for example, have Summer generally be hotter and Winter generally be colder by setting which day of which month each season starts and what kind of season it is, then blending season together (ie summer cools back down to the upper 70s nearing Fall), then having El Nina/El Nino like situations, etc. On top of all that I'll have randomly-generated weather. Of course, I'll also have to add stuff like beginning and ending temperatures for the day and ways to make that change based on location (ie deserts have much higher temperatures than everywhere else during the day, as well as much colder nights). This'll be a LOT of work.

*drools*
It'll be soooo fun to make up holidays and seasons...

Can't wait :D

Calintz

It really sounds like this script has come a long way.

Blizzard

Very nice. Just be sure to have Celsius temperature as well if you use Fahrenheit as default.

Calintz

You really think when you create scripts, don't you Blizzard?

Valcos

Quote from: WcW on June 01, 2009, 02:57:32 pm(ie summer cools back down to the upper 70s nearing Fall)

:o WHAT THE EFF!!! 70!! WE ARE ALL GONNA DIE!!!

Quote from: Aqua on June 01, 2009, 05:03:01 pm
*drools*
It'll be soooo fun to make up holidays and seasons...

Can't wait :D

I second that  8)
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

Calintz

Before you get too excited ...
Remember that you will need to make seasonal adjustments to each tileset that you actively use before you can design fully functional season changes for your game ... This would be hard considering you would be adding snow to them, and leaves all over and what not.

I don't know how the script works, but I would assume that a common event or two would probably need to be made to help the efficiency ... (could be wrong)

And not to mention setting the 4separate teleport locations to make sure you are arriving in the proper location, Lol.

**OR ... Have you considered adding a tileset updater WCW??
Like, when the script updates the current season, it will also automatically update each tileset accordingly.

You could do it like so ...
Create your custom tilesets and name them accordingly.
Example - [013-PostTown01_Summer, 013-PostTown01_Fall, 013-PostTown01_Winter, 013-PostTown01_Spring].

Allow the script to update the tileset along with the season.

Blizzard

Quote from: Calintz16438 on June 01, 2009, 10:29:13 pm
You really think when you create scripts, don't you Blizzard?

I generally think when I program. Very often I type down some code and go through it a few times checking if it's conceptually ok. When I make 5-10 pieces of code at different positions and in different classes that are properly thought through and checked properly, it often happens that I don't only have no syntax errors but the code works fully from the first try.

fugibo

Lol, exact opposite of me.

And didn't I respond to the celsius comment above...? Oh well. And 70F is only around 20C, sheesh.

Blizzard

Yeah, but 0°F isn't -50°C. :/

I used to prefer "hack-testing" earlier as well. Today I only use it to quickly identify small mistakes as mistyped variable/class names and small syntax errors but never for conceptual mistakes.

fugibo

You're right. 0F is between -15C and -20C. (5/9)(F - 32), anyone?

Jackolas

June 04, 2009, 03:16:22 am #116 Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 03:20:41 am by Jackolas
Fahrenheit is not really a great way to display a temperature (am a chemist.. i know it)
because its really strange how Gabriel Fahrenheit thought it up.
(the freezing point of water is 32 °F and the boiling point 212 °F ) I don't see the logic
its also hard to calculate to a easy understandable notation

be ready for some math:

to kelvin:
[K] = ([°F] + 459.67) × 5⁄9
[°F] = [K] × 9⁄5 − 459.67

to Celsius:
[°C] = ([°F] − 32) × 5⁄9
[°F] = [°C] × 9⁄5 + 32

Blizzard

It's just important that WcW decides how he will store it and that he adds an interface so it can get and set the temperature in °C properly. An option for which scale to use would be useful.

fugibo

Quote from: Jackolas on June 04, 2009, 03:16:22 am
Fahrenheit is not really a great way to display a temperature (am a chemist.. i know it)
because its really strange how Gabriel Fahrenheit thought it up.
(the freezing point of water is 32 °F and the boiling point 212 °F ) I don't see the logic
its also hard to calculate to a easy understandable notation

be ready for some math:

to kelvin:
[K] = ([°F] + 459.67) × 5⁄9
[°F] = [K] × 9⁄5 − 459.67

to Celsius:
[°C] = ([°F] − 32) × 5⁄9
[°F] = [°C] × 9⁄5 + 32

Err... Kelvins from Fahrenheit is (5/9)(F - 32) + 273, if I'm not mistaken... Just convert to Celsius then add 273. 0_o
Therefore, to get there from Kelvins, it's (9/5)(K - 273) + 32. It's not that hard, just one extra step. If you find adding/subtracting 273 hard, I have to question your merits as a chemist.

Note that I am not defending customary units, I'd much rather use metric. Sadly 'nuff, I live in the states :/

And Celsius is just as inferior to Kelvins as Fahrenheit are. I mean, -273 degress C is really stupid for an "absolute zero" measure as opposed to an actual 0K.

Blizzard

But it's more practical. How often do you have something at 0°K? And how often do you have something on 0°C? Kelvin are mostly used in physics and not so much in normal life.