60GB PAL PS3 Region Lock?

Started by Memor-X, August 04, 2010, 04:01:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Memor-X

i've checked around the net and i can't get a strait answer on this, i have one of the original 60GB PS3's that play the PS2 games on it, it's was brought in Australia and on the box it has the globe with the 4 in it which i'm sure stands for that it's region locked to Region 4 Games (PAL) but a couple of games i got from ebay have different numbers on them, Orange Box says Region 2 and it plays fine and Metal Gear Solid 4 says Region 3 (apart from the bloody forever to download MGO but it could just be my next connection) and Resistance 2 and it's fine says Region 4.

When i asked around elsewhere i was told that PS3 games are locked by using JAP, NTSC and PAL and the region numbers are for DVDs, considering that PS3 games are on Blue-Ray DVDs i thought the region numbers would be used even though they print them on the covers, yesterday, i was told by one of my classmates that PS3's are Region free after i was telling him that i couldn't find .Hack//G.U for the PS2 in PAL, i don't doubt him cause he was the one who told me Deus Ex was worth getting and he was right.

What i'm asking is that is the 60GB PS3 able to play any PS2 game no matter if it's NTSC or PAL cause where i live i can no longer get .Hack//G.U by getting EB to order it in cause the series is discontinued, EBay has truck loads but none in PAL, they all come for the US and since it;s my mum's card the money will go into, i can't buy from anywhere else on the net unless it uses PayPal

King Munkey

The Ps3's are region free. You should be able to play a game from any region.

G_G Is my hero!
Munkey != monkey
Munkey > monkey

WhiteRose

Quote from: King Munkey on August 04, 2010, 10:28:59 pm

That only applies to the PS3 games, though; PS2 games are not region free, even on the PS3. You'll only be able to play PS2 games from your region, unless you use SwapMagic, of course, and that's possibly more hassle then it's worth.

Memor-X

Quote from: Probe on August 04, 2010, 10:47:58 pm

That only applies to the PS3 games, though; PS2 games are not region free, even on the PS3. You'll only be able to play PS2 games from your region, unless you use SwapMagic, of course, and that's possibly more hassle then it's worth.

depends, what's SwapMagic, is it like Freeloader for the Wii where i have to run it first then insert an NTSC disk cause .Hack//G.U is on my priorities list

WhiteRose

Quote from: Memor-X on August 05, 2010, 01:03:58 am
Quote from: Probe on August 04, 2010, 10:47:58 pm

depends, what's SwapMagic, is it like Freeloader for the Wii where i have to run it first then insert an NTSC disk cause .Hack//G.U is on my priorities list

No, it involves taking the whole console apart, voiding your warranty, and all sorts of related non-sense. Seriously, it's not worth it. Just buy a PS2; it's easy to play games from other regions on them. You just need to install FreeMcBoot.

Memor-X

Quote from: Probe on August 05, 2010, 01:15:50 am
No, it involves taking the whole console apart, voiding your warranty, and all sorts of related non-sense. Seriously, it's not worth it. Just buy a PS2; it's easy to play games from other regions on them. You just need to install FreeMcBoot.

good point, the original 60GB PS3s cost on ebay $650+ so i don't want to open mine up, also, where could i get FreeMcBoot

WhiteRose

Quote from: Memor-X on August 08, 2010, 09:32:24 pm
Quote from: Probe on August 05, 2010, 01:15:50 am

good point, the original 60GB PS3s cost on ebay $650+ so i don't want to open mine up, also, where could i get FreeMcBoot

http://freemcboot.psx-scene.com/

You're probably going to need an ARMAX or SwapMagic to install it. I used SwapMagic and it worked like a charm. You can order SwapMagic from here:

http://www.swapmagic3.com/