C# or C++?

Started by ForeverZer0, August 05, 2010, 04:39:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ForeverZer0

I'm gonna start teaching myself one/both of these. Any recommendations on which one I should use, or possible scripting engines?
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

C#, it's quicker to learn. Switching from C# to C++ is a bit hard, though, since C# has quite a few nice things that you won't be prepared to let go after getting used to them. If you don't plan on making programming your profession and don't expect to make programs for Unix based systems (Linux and Max OSX) as well as Windows, you won't really need C++.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Zeriab

If you go for C# we can learn it together :3

Btw. not knowing a language doesn't necessarily prevent you from getting jobs where it is used.
That is in fact the reason I have to learn C#.

*hugs*

Blizzard

I'm just saying that C++ allows multiplatform to be done the easiest way and that's knowing it can professionally mean quite an advantage. If you say you know C++, everybody will recognize your knowledge while if you say you know C#, mostly only MS Linux fanboys will recognize you.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Zeriab

I would postulate that it easier to write multiplatform programs in Java, but that may just be due to my lack of C++ knowledge. (Exploiting platform specific technologies can be a hell in Java)
You are right that C++ has a higher brand value. In a job hiring situation it can matter quite a lot. There are plenty of jobs for both C# programmers and C++ programmers. At least in my area.

If you are a professional then you'll learn it if you need it and don't know it already.
I suggest you pick which you like the best atm. You can always change you mind at a later stage.

winkio

C# is extremely useful for developing smaller and medium applications in the business world.  At the renewable energy company I work at (which has designed and built 10% of all the wind energy projects in the US), all of the company's proprietary software is written in C#.  The main reasons are because of readability and ease of use (with the forms designer, you can create complex applications in a breeze).  I've had my share of developing in C#, both in games and in business applications, and I can say that although it's not the across-the-board programming standard that C++ is, it is still well worth your time to pick up C#.

Blizzard

I agree with Z and winkio. While it can make a difference at getting a job, if that's not why you want to learn those languages, I suggest you go with C#.

ForeverZer0

Thanks for the feedback everyone.   :-*

I don't need any computer knowledge for my job or anything, I just do it as a hobby at home, etc.
I want to expand a little beyond RGSS and check out what else is out there and create something a little different.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

DeXuS

Sorry to necro post but I am new and would would like to add somthing to this. 
I have looked into learning c++ and I must say...  If your going to try and learn it on your own, DON'T!!!
The whole language is just too confusing to start off with... (At least for me)  that I found my self giving up on it with in days.  Go with learning c# first THEN if you must still learn c++ do.  You will go into it with a better understanding of what it means.  If you want to better understand any programming language, look to code project's massive database of links, tutorials, lessons and example work or ask someone to tutor you.  It makes the diffrence.

ForeverZer0

I've been slowly learning both. I buy books. I read them. I google. I learn.  ;)

Although I have been studying C# a little more. I find it easier to help break from my Ruby frame of mind, since it is a little more similar.

stripe103

Late reply, I know..

@Blizzard
But what if you want to work as a programmer?

Blizzard

You should either know C# extremely well or you should know both.

stripe103

Okay, so no matter what, start with C#. Why didn't you say so in the first place  :D
Then I'm going to continue with it. Thanks!

Blizzard

I thought I kinda did through the topic. xD

stripe103

Yea, but you only talked about home use, not if you want to work with it :)

winkio

Lots of the work programmers do for games, even those coded in C++, is done in C#.  Most tools (GUI's that allow you to edit content, such as maps, geometry, models, etc.) are made in C#, because it's so good for making those types of things.  Sometimes they even use C# as a scripting language.  So yeah, your knowledge of C# will never go to waste :)

tSwitch

I learned C++ first.  It's more complicated, uglier, and overall more difficult to get anything done (at least game-wise).
But I am glad I learned it the hard way first.

C# is easier (especially with XNA) to work with for me, and I feel like I really understand the 'why' and mechanics of how stuff works because I did it the hard way first.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

ForeverZer0

My problem is trying to get out of the Ruby way of thinking. I am so used to how flexible it is, and a whole bunch of all the features that make it an easy language to learn. I have been reading a lot about C# and C++, but haven't really been jumping into any actual programming yet, which I know is the best way to learn it. To be quite honest, I don't know how many more RMXP scripts I plan to make, my interests are starting to expand more into other applications, even just using Ruby and not RMXP. I have been wanting to finish up a few loose ends, re-write and finish a few scripts I already released, then move on. It doesn't mean I won't do it, but I imagine nobody will see near as much activity from me a few months from now.

Ryex

I know what you mean, ruby is so simple compared to other languages yet it is just can do really complex things. btw I barely touch RMXP any more sure I'm writing RMPY but I rarely need RMXP to do it.

[shameless recruiting] If you want to do programing but get away from RGSS I can always use help on RMPY.[/shameless recruiting]
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

ForeverZer0

Quote from: Ryex on January 13, 2011, 02:55:26 am
[shameless recruiting] If you want to do programing but get away from RGSS I can always use help on RMPY.[/shameless recruiting]

I was thinking about it.  I need to look into Python first, though I hear Ruby was based very much off of it, so it shouldn't be too difficult. I'll get at you later about it.