[XP][VX] Decreasing Audio File Size

Started by G_G, August 07, 2010, 11:24:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

G_G

August 07, 2010, 11:24:07 am Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 01:58:05 pm by Adjutant game_guy
Decreasing Audio File Size

Getting Prepared

Before doing any of this, I recommend backing up your Audio folder somewhere. In case you end up saving over something.

Things you'll need.

Download the version of Audacity you need. 1.3 works best on win 7 and vista. 1.2 is for earlier versions. Then after you download it, go ahead and install it.

Import

NOTE: You cannot import a midi file then export it as an OGG file. So it'll work on mp3s, oggs, wmas, wavs.
NOTE: The audio file you see is for example. Don't be hating ._.
Importing your sound files is easy. Open up Audacity, go to File, then Import, then Audio. Browse for the file you want. Lets notice the file size before hand.
Spoiler: ShowHide

Its current 2.38MB.
Click okay, it'll take a few seconds to import the file.

Export

Now, we're practically done. After you import it, just go to File > Export. That easy.

Choose file type as Ogg.
Then click okay when the song info box comes up, or edit the info. Up to you.

File Size Difference

Now that your new mp3 or other audio type is exported as an ogg lets look at the file size.

Sure it doesn't seem like much of a difference, but that extra bit it knocked off, builds up with custom mp3's and sound files. So it helps, and people are more likely to download your game if it has a small file size.

Notes

For some reason, it doesn't work on MIDI files. But I'm sure there's a converter out there somewhere. Eh oh well. Enjoy =D

WhiteRose

Nice tutorial. Two questions, though: first off, the file name of the song says "Kate Perry - I Kissed a Girl," whereas the title bar of the program after importing says "Party in the USA." O_O Wat. Secondly, MID file sizes are already so small due to the nature of the file that shrinking them any smaller not only is impossible, but is unnecessary. Converting an MID to an MP3 and then making it an OGG to reduce filesize would actually result in a much larger file than you had in the first place.

G_G

August 07, 2010, 01:51:57 pm #2 Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 01:53:08 pm by Adjutant game_guy
To point out, I took screenshots on 2 different days xD

I know the MIDI thing, but I just wanted to let people know they couldn't do it :P Anyways thanks =D

EDIT: And yes I've been listening to a lot of the following D:
  • Miley Cyrus
  • Britney Spears
  • Ke$ha
  • Dido
  • Ashley Simpson
  • Katy Perry

Who the fuck am I D:

WhiteRose

Quote from: Adjutant game_guy on August 07, 2010, 01:51:57 pm
To point out, I took screenshots on 2 different days xD

I know the MIDI thing, but I just wanted to let people know they couldn't do it :P Anyways thanks =D

EDIT: And yes I've been listening to a lot of the following D:
  • Miley Cyrus
  • Britney Spears
  • Ke$ha
  • Dido
  • Ashley Simpson
  • Katy Perry

Who the fuck am I D:

D: D: D:
I think it's having an effect on your brain. That's probably why you spelled "Audio" wrong in your topic title.

G_G

Blizzard

Quote from: Borat on August 07, 2010, 01:51:57 pm

• Katy Perry

I don't blame you. I'd do her, too.

WAIT A MOMENT! Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait! You were listening to her music?! D: D: D:
Ok, I can understand that, too, if it's this remix. :3
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

Thats an awesome remix cept that wasnt what I was listening to O_O I hate me D:

Blizzard

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Agckuu Coceg

August 08, 2010, 12:21:58 am #8 Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 12:42:58 am by En Adun Gin-san
There is not in the music format. All that matters is bitrate. You lowered the bit rate, resulting in ogg and reduced the volume of music.

However, if you look at mp3 and Ogg at the same bitrate, you'll see that the mp3 even less weight than Ogg.

To do this, I picked up an mp3 at 320 kbps and pinch it in 112 kbps mp3 and 112 kbps ogg.

Outcome:
Before: 7,14 MB (MP3)
After: MP3 - 2,50 MB.
OGG - 2,53 MB.
And the quality in Ogg been immeasurably worse.

P.S. I'm made this again and gave to you all some screenies.

I'm not retarded, but I'm busy. Sorry for patience.

poxy

Long ago I had had a prog that sampled mp3s to make into midis, but it sounded godawful. Don't think it's doable easily unless you sequence it yourself on mario paint for example...
My Project: ShowHide