Project: Aura, sprites and more

Started by [Faint], August 19, 2010, 08:46:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

[Faint]

August 19, 2010, 08:46:50 am Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 08:31:11 pm by [Faint]
So I am trying to get back into spriting after a good deal of time.

*NEW* Main Character for my game.Characters in my game have "Aura Abilities", and each one has its own "Overdrive" like mode called "Releases"(not final name).As the player continues through the game, the characters "Releases" get better and take on new forms....tell me what you think of this idea.

Character's name: Aisu
Aura ability: Ice
Fighting style: Fists-->Fists and Kicks-->Fists,Kicks,and Sword.

*NEW* Element icons for my game (*edit* toned down the gloss a bit.)

*NEW but not game related*
Hitsugaya Toushiro
Spoiler: ShowHide

Tell me what you think. :^_^':

here is some older stuff I have done.

Scripts by me - State Requirement Skills
current project - Project: AURA

Subsonic_Noise

Awesome. Besides the hair which needs sone shading work, I don't really see any other flaws. So don't worry, you are still allowed to sprite for endzeit :V

ShadowPierce

->Congratulations, you're hired! *hugs, levels up & adds to Team Wipe in the recruitment thread* :xD:

Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
3DS Friend Code: ShowHide
1161-0627-9890

[Faint]

love how I am told what I am going to do lol :haha:

ShadowPierce

->Does that mean you're actually joining Team Wipe? *puppy eyes* :D

Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
3DS Friend Code: ShowHide
1161-0627-9890

King Munkey

Maybe if you asked him instead of telling him he may consider it.

G_G Is my hero!
Munkey != monkey
Munkey > monkey

Dweller

Dwellercoc

legacyblade

The shape of your sprite is great. I love the proportions and how you drew the hair. Though one thing I see is that it really needs improved shading. You've done better shading in some past drawings, so I know you can. The hair is pillow shaded. I know the sprite is larger than a charset, but you should still put the same level of detail into the shading. Look at how RTP or HK hair is  shaded. It'll help. As far as I can see, his clothing is flat colors. You need more colors in there to add contrast and shape to the nice little pixel man.

Good job on this, it looks great. But since you're trying to get back into spriting, I thought you might appreciate some advice.

[Faint]

updated the sprite. tell me what you think. I know pillow shading is taking one color and going around the edge and then taking a lighter shade and repeating that a few times. I did not do that. the color contrast for white parts on sprites pisses me off....(the hair and layer of robe)

legacyblade

Pillow shading is when you have more or less a smooth gradient between parts. It doesn't look like that now (if you changed it), but the hair is flat. It needs more color in it. Shading for a sprite is a lot different than shading for an anime drawing. The pants look good now. But the white part of the clothing looks a tad bit flat. A good example of white clothing is the RTP angels. use a bit of gray for the darker colors (light gray). It'll add a lot more depth to the drawing.

[Faint]

Quote from: legacyblade on August 19, 2010, 04:40:52 pm
A good example of white clothing is the RTP angels.

Thanks a lot for that tip. :D I tried it out, result in first post.

legacyblade

Wow. huge improvement there. I'm loving your shading on the clothes. They don't look flat anymore. Still not a fan of the hair, but if you like it that's all that matters, eh? Good job at returning to the wonderful world of spriting.

[Faint]

lol there is a lot of shading in the hair. used the same concept as the robe. I don't know why it looks different. :P

legacyblade

Hair shading is a LOT different than shading clothing. You have to use a lot of bits of overlapping shading to give the illusion of it being hair. If you shade it like cloth, it looks kinda like felt glued to their head, you know?

[Faint]

well I meant I used the same colors.

legacyblade

I just zoomed in to give you a critique. And wow, that's actually some pretty good shading. But the contrast is too low to see it. Try bumping up the contrast, and maybe add a touch of blue into the hair so that all that shading actually shows. That's some good work, but when you're zoomed out, it just looks like a flat color.

[Faint]

August 20, 2010, 02:03:28 pm #16 Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 08:59:09 pm by [Faint]
lol so you see it too. XD but yea I have to go to work so I will try to see what I can do tonight.

*edit* ok I added some blue swatches to the hair. looks better IMO.

[Faint]

legacyblade

It looks better. Something still looks off to me, but that's because I am beyond a perfectionist when it comes to sprites (I worry about detail no one will notice even remotely). I'd call it done.

[Faint]