Project: Aura, sprites and more

Started by [Faint], August 19, 2010, 08:46:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

legacyblade

The hair reminds me of a pill, and the hair spikes near his scalp on both ends remind me of playdough when you pull it and it has those little snakey things. Not sure how to fix it, those are just bugging me :P But I'd still consider it finished, unless you want to turn into the obsessive person I am.

[Faint]

lol yea I guess I can see how it might appear that way. Well anyways I updated another sprite. The main character for my game. I modified an old concept I had for him and I did a recolor. I tried to improve the color contrast.
Scripts by me - State Requirement Skills
current project - Project: AURA

ShadowPierce

->I don't wanna sound like a smartass, since I'm not exactly a spriter, but I can see that those wings need improvement... It should come from the shoulder blades, NOT THE NECK DOWN... And it should fold a bit lower, it doesn't seem to be very distinguishable as wings... It also looks rather big... Other than that, the design seems okay to me... :D

Maybe you can use these as bases:
Arctic Wings v1: ShowHide

Arctic Wings v2: ShowHide

Spoiler: ShowHide
Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
3DS Friend Code: ShowHide
1161-0627-9890

[Faint]

August 23, 2010, 07:01:53 am #23 Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 07:05:18 am by [Faint]
The wings come from the entire back. and the large size is due to the fact that they will beable to fold over and completly cover him as a shield when he is attacked. I based these wings off of  Hitsugaya Toushirou from Bleach. When he realeases his Bankai he gains large wings similar to this.

Dweller

I like the wings but it seems that don´t match with the character itself.

The problem in my opinion is that the wings are simetrical and the character is in a side view (or at least not on a front view, like the wings), so the wings dont match. Put this wings on a front view of the character sprite and it probably look much better.
Dwellercoc

ShadowPierce

->Yeah, I think I've seen him.. He's one of the more popular characters of the anime... I think it should start from narrow (not too narrow though) then spreads wide & big. I think I've seen that somewhere, in the 'post your desktop' thread perhaps? :D

I'm just stating my opinion as someone average who sees it... :haha: Hope I don't sound too rude to you... :D

Also, what dweller said... :haha:

Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
1161-0627-9890

[Faint]

August 23, 2010, 07:35:51 am #26 Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 07:37:27 am by [Faint]
yeah I noticed that I did that after I got into the wings a good deal. I had the character set to not visble and forgot what pose it was lol.I am thinking I might change my idea for what I want to do with this character when It goes into kind of like an "Overdrive" mode. The wings will take a long time to sprite for all the animation poses. I may go with something simpler such as Ice forming down the arms and maybe over part of the legs.

I don't know...give me your thoughts.

ShadowPierce

Quote from: dwellercoc on August 23, 2010, 07:29:52 am
I like the wings but it seems that don´t match with the character itself.

The problem in my opinion is that the wings are simetrical and the character is in a side view (or at least not on a front view, like the wings), so the wings dont match. Put this wings on a front view of the character sprite and it probably look much better.

->I didn't notice those two things when I first saw the sprite, but now that you mention it... :P :n00b:

1161-0627-9890

Dweller

The wings will take a long time to sprite for all the animation poses. I may go with something simpler such as Ice forming down the arms and maybe over part of the legs.

I´m on a similar dilemma with a 9 tentacles monster sprite to a Blizz-ABS game. To many sprites and to many tentacles...  :'( (is now on my futured project folder). So I took the easy way, but at least is not forgotten.
Dwellercoc

[Faint]

yeah the wings were a good idea in theory but they are just not practical. let me know what you guys think of this new concept.

*updated first post*

ShadowPierce

->Haha,  yeah! Screw the rules! :xD: Though it suits the character pretty well, I think it doesn't have as much 'epic-ness potential' as the wing concept... But still looks good... :haha:

1161-0627-9890

[Faint]

I may pick the idea up again at a later time but right now it was more of a headache.

King Munkey

To throw my idea in on the sprite with the wing. I thought that the wing was too large and did not fit. I believe what you have now is much better than the wing idea. But then again I am the CP pet so what I say doesn't matter too much.

G_G Is my hero!
Munkey != monkey
Munkey > monkey

[Faint]

lol I care about what everyone thinks, except game_guy. j/k

[Faint]

Updated first post with element icons for my game. tell me what you think. :P

ShadowPierce

->They look pretty good, & good job on the 2 levels of "overdrive"! I might still invite you to be a spriter on Project Wipe in the future, but I'll support your game... I see some similarities with your project & mine that's why I seem to have taken notice of it... :^_^':

Good luck! :haha:

P.S.
What element was the last icon? :D

1161-0627-9890

Dweller

I like those icons, actually I use similar ones on a personal project

but I don´t like very much that gloss effect,  remove it and probably that will enhance the items.
Dwellercoc

[Faint]

I am thinking about lowering the opacity on the gloss just a little but I am keeping it since it matches my menus and with out it they look too flat and bland. and for the last element well I guess it wouldn't hurt to say it, it's metal(Steel).

poxy

Nice icons and great sprites. I would remove some of the icon gloss though, but they're cool overall.
In my experience, it's better not to try and force a sprite to look good through compulsive work. If you get bored or sick of working on a sprite, work on the game itself and when you're testing it you will more likely see if there's anything wrong with it, and better be able to fix it if it bugs you.
My Project: ShowHide

[Faint]

August 25, 2010, 01:40:12 am #39 Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:57:37 am by [Faint]
Thanks  :) nice to know people like my style of doing things :^_^':

*edit* I toned down the gloss a little on the icons. I feel they look better now. :P