Need guidance for making a website.

Started by Valdred, August 22, 2010, 12:16:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Valdred

So I am going to take care of creating the html myself. But I don't know how to put this html on my site. I know I need a host, but I have never done it before, so I hope someone can explain in basic to me how it is done.

stripe103

August 22, 2010, 01:03:46 pm #1 Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 01:05:03 pm by stripe103
If you are only going to do it in HTML, then you could first create the website and test it right on your computer, and then search for a host.
Anyway.
There are lots of free webhosts. I myself use 000Webhost.com wich I think is very good for being free. Of couse you can get better functions and support and such if you pay, but it is nothing needed.
When you have set up your host, you need to get the FTP details from the website you have registered on.
You also need a FTP program such as FileZilla(Works for all operating systems).
When you have installed your FTP program, open it and enter the FTP details into the program and click "Connect" or whatever it says.
From there it is just about the same as copying and pasting in Windows Explorer(or if you are using Mac, Finder).
When you have uploaded all files you want, you can test the website by typing in the address you have got when registering on your host's website.
Be sure to have a file which is called something like default, index, or start or anything like that. Because when typing in the address the host will look after this file. The file name depends on the host.

That is about how I did when making my website.'
If I'm unclear or you have questions, feel free to ask.

Ryex

by default you should ALWAYS name your first page index.html (or index.php if you using php)

also you should know that maintain a site in straite html is VERY hard I would at least suggest learning how to use CSS so that you can edit data with out messing up your layout w3.org is great for learning just about everything to do with websites
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Valdred