[VX] Monster roaming field, touch based battle system [request] [Resolved]

Started by brokencrowe, August 24, 2010, 11:10:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrowe

Hello all I am new to the forum and have been working on my project for about a month now and have come to the point of my very first boss fight. WOOT!
Anyways... This boss fight is slightly different than your conventional RPG boss. The point is to get away, you have to run through the woods until you make it to a certain map where you are prompted to make a trap.

In the map I want my boss fight to chase the player down, and if it touches the player a battle is initiated, from which the player must run away from, or die a horrible, horrible death... *takes a moment to grieve*

So I have the chasing bit down, but the player touch bit is giving me a lot of trouble. In order for the battle to be initiated the player must be facing the monster and walk towards it to start the battle processing. Now this just will not do. The monster ought to be chasing the player and when it touches any of the four squares around said player the battle should then commence.

Now, a friend of mine said I need to make a script call to edit the X and Y coordinates of the map for this specific event, and I do not know the variables involved... In fact I don't even know if I have the events set up properly.

Here are some screenies:

Spoiler: ShowHide

Spoiler: ShowHide

The first event page is just blank, with the sprite to show up when a switch is triggered.
And ignore the temporary sprite, I know she looks very... benign, for a big bad boss fight. :D.

Any and all help will be appreciated,
Thanks,
Brokencrowe

WhiteRose

I remember seeing a system for guards catching players, once. I don't remember, though, if it was here on CP or some other website on which I found it. I'll try and dig it up for you and you can probably base this system off of that.

On an unrelated note, which version of RMXP are you using? That looks quite a bit different from mine.

EDIT: I just realized that this is a VX thread. No wonder your program is different. XD

Anyway, I dug up the thread for which I was looking:

http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,5407.0.html

It's for RMXP, but looking at the event pages, you should be able to come up with something similar in VX.

brokencrowe

Quote from: WhiteRose on August 25, 2010, 12:00:24 am
I remember seeing a system for guards catching players, once. I don't remember, though, if it was here on CP or some other website on which I found it. I'll try and dig it up for you and you can probably base this system off of that.

On an unrelated note, which version of RMXP are you using? That looks quite a bit different from mine.

EDIT: I just realized that this is a VX thread. No wonder your program is different. XD

Anyway, I dug up the thread for which I was looking:

http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,5407.0.html

It's for RMXP, but looking at the event pages, you should be able to come up with something similar in VX.

Thank you, kindly. Wow, I have never had such a quick reply on any forum ever. ^.^.
I am looking into it now, it looks really promising. Again, thank you!

-Brokencrowe

Edit:
The demo is down. XD. Hmm, and the youtube video is really blurry on my PC... So I can't really read the events off of that. :/
Thank you for digging it up though, it is really appreciated. ^.^

WhiteRose

brokencrowe

Quote from: WhiteRose on August 25, 2010, 12:38:27 am
Ta daa.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ygiyglmjtjg

That's the demo that goes with the topic.

Am I allowed to say I Love you, in a friendly way? ;).
Jking. Anyways, you are a life-saver. *now wants candy... doesn't even like life-savers...*

Thank you! ^.^
I will keep you all posted on my progress, once I finish off this string of events, I think I might post my project here with a nice game-play demo. :D.

-Brokencrowe

Edit:

The demo has the same problem, if i just stand around the guard walks circles around your character and it never actually triggers a fight.
The player touch thing is wonky... You have turn towards it and walk into it, in order to trigger a fight.

Blizzard

Please use spoilers for images in future. *fixes first post*
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Sase

Don't use "Player Touch" in the conditions, use "Event Touch". If it works like it does in XP, any kind of collision with the event (even if you're not moving) activates the event.

brokencrowe

Quote from: Sase on August 25, 2010, 11:28:01 am
Don't use "Player Touch" in the conditions, use "Event Touch". If it works like it does in XP, any kind of collision with the event (even if you're not moving) activates the event.

Thank you! This worked wonders, :). You all helped me out a lot. *gives you my cookie*
Now that this little mini game is over, I am near my demo stages. :D.
Then I will force you all to beta test my game, MUHAHA... I mean, I'll ask you all nicely and offer you snacks. *looks at you all innocently*

Thank you all,
Brokencrowe