[VX] Guardians of Larrs (A working title only)

Started by brokencrowe, August 26, 2010, 07:37:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrowe

August 26, 2010, 07:37:18 pm Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 08:46:25 pm by brokencrowe

This is the project we have been working on for the past month or so. It is the most I have ever done in any RPG Maker, and in retrospect it isn't all that much. XD.

Guardians of Larrs is a temporary title, the real one is still in development and most likely will not be finished until the game is completed.

I have about the first fifteen minutes of game-play done, it is all very rough and still in development, this is merely the base idea. A rough draft. ;).
We are looking to get a team together, because we have school coming up, and development will be slow. Though having one isn't completely necessary, this post is mainly made in hopes of gaining some well needed constructive criticism.

Okay to start, I will tell you a bit about my game!

Spoiler: ShowHide
The world. It is a place of Magic. Magic being a natural element from which all life stems from. Magic exists naturally within nature and powers all of the elements. Certain magic is stronger in certain areas, and weaker or non-existent in others. For example in a volcano fire magic would be at its strongest levels, where as water magic wouldn't exist.

Magic Exists within human's as spiritual manifestations known as Espers, each human is born with a respective Esper. All humans have the ability to harness the power of their Esper and tap into the natural magic around them. An Esper is determined at birth, the Esper chooses the human, not the reverse. An Esper cannot maintain an existence without a host.

There are three kinds of Espers
Domestics, the ones that need a human host.
Tame, those who co-exist with humans in nature.
And Wild, those who attack humans on sight.

Note:
Esper may only be a temporary name.

In this game there are three countries involved:
Larrs, Taer, and Urak.

Larrs is the Central Nation, it lays on the coast line and is surrounded by the other three Countries. Urak lays to the south and is currently at war with Larrs. Taer lays the East and is currently being colonized by Larrs. Larrs considers them to be barbarians, merely because they follow what Larrs considers to be Heathen Gods.

Within Larrs itself the Government is in shambles. There are four main factions in the military. And two of them refuse to fight for the king. One faction, The Southern Corps claims that the King's Royal guard posses far too much power and wishes for the King to reduce their area of influence. The Royal Guard however will not give up their power. So the Southern Corps refuse to fight until the Royal Guard's authority is reduce, and the Royal Guard refuses to fight until the Southern Corps is put into their proper place. Resulting in a stale-mate.

This means overall that there are two Larrsian Military factions able to fight. One faction is currently fighting against Urak, and the other is holding point in Taer. Taer sees this moment of weakness as an opening and mounts a counter attack against Larrsian troops.
They seek revenge against Larrs for invading their land, and treating them with overall brutality.

Taer is overall a peaceful country that relies on nature to exist. They are tribal, and can be compared to Native Americans. You could also compare them to druids. They have the strongest Earth affinity among their Esper wielders. In fact to be able to join the "Queen's" "Royal guard" in Taer, one must be wielding an Earth Bound Esper. (Taer has only ever seen a female hold the throne.) (Note: Taer isn't an actual Kingdom or Queendom, it is more closely related to a Tribe.)

Larrs in its moment of weakness offers a peace treaty to Urak. Urak sees this as an opportunity to weaken Larrs further. (Larrs and Urak have been at ends since before there were even borders put into place, when they were merely tribes of barbarians.)
Urak rejects the terms and demands more out of the treaty on the threat of an all out attack.  Most of Urak merely wishes to see Larrs wiped off the face of the map and think their government is foolish for offering any chance of peace between the two nations.

Larrs' king is merely a figure-head. Who craves power. But, he is in reality an idiot. The senate are the real decision makers in Larrs. They issue a draft, to fight against both the threat of war from Urak and the "Barbarians" from the East. Your main character is one of these draftees.

Clive is drafted into the military and forced to the capitol. Where he is trained in the art of war. He quickly learns he has a natural gift in the art of swordplay and picks up almost everything he is taught. The King's Champion sees Clive's potential and remarks that Clive will go far.

Clive is soon shipped of Taer to fight against the Earth Mages. They cross the border and setup camp, and clash against the "barbarians" in a set of Skirmishes. In the end everyone in Clive's squadron is wiped out, save himself and three others.

Lucaris, Verick, and Levant. All extremely gifted and skilled.

Since they were drafted and not officially knights they have no proof they are from Larrs.
And upon their return to the border they are turned away (there is a wall, and a handful of gates along the Larrs and Taer border). The reports said that there were no survivors from the skirmish, that all Larrsian troops lay dead. So Clive and his group are thought to be Taer citizens.

They retreat to Zalmark, a trade town. And witness first hand the brutality of Larrsian soldiers against the colonized Taerians. They harass woman and children if they do not comply to their wishes.

Taer and Urak are trade partners, so rumors circulate the town. Clive and his group hear that Urak has rejected the peace treaty and have engaged in all out war with Larrs.....

Clive doesn't want to see his home destroyed, or the people he grew up with killed, he doesn't care about politics, he doesn't care about the government.
He just wants to save those he knows and Loves.

Basically he is forced into a role of leadership and mounts a counter attack. I am not exactly sure on the specifics, but it is a very basic Suikoden (Suikoden II, my favorite game ever.) formula.

1. Clive
Role in story: Main Character

Description:
Clive was born into a world of Espers and Magic, he alone being the one human who was born Esperless, meaning he cannot tap into the natural Magics around him. He is considered a freak, an outcast. His own father disowned him at the age of ten. Clive works every day to prove to those around him, and to himself that he can keep up with those who wield Espers.

Clive being born without an Esper has no affinity. In this world, everyone can sense everyone else's affinity and general Magical Power level. Clive has no magical strength, so everyone knows, and shuns him for it.

There are certain places in the world that are void of magic, that the Esper Wielders cannot enter.
They grow weak, because they cannot tap into the magic necessary to fuel their Esper.
Clive can enter these places no problem.

Because without magic the Espers draws upon
their owners life force to sustain themselves.
In effect starving their owners of life. In effect killing themselves because an Esper cannot exist without its respective human, but it also cannot exist without magic...

Clive at the stories start is the protective big brother type, he lives in a group home, with other children.

2. Lucaris

Lucaris is a bit of a dare devil, loves to get a thrill from toying with danger. His arsenal of weapons range from throwing knives to any explosives/gun powder that exist in this time period. He was drafted like the other three main characters, and has strong views and isn't afraid to express them.

His Esper is a blue wolf, and his affinity is fire. The wolf is weary and seems annoyed by Lucaris' recklessness.

Verick, and Levant are not fleshed out. All I know is they are Larrsian youths who are gifted fighters. I know Levant is more of  the quiet type who wears brown leathers and uses twin knives, more of a rouge type. And Verick is the holy knight of justice kind of guy, always wants to do the right thing, wields a giant two handed sword.

Clive staring at a tree stump (animation not complete):

Kids fighting for Clive's attention.... and the adults do nothing?:

Maya interogates Clive... then they get naked (no not really..)

Captain Isaac reads off the scripted draft notice... He later gets fed up, and gives his own schpeel on the topic:

Fond farewells *weeps a little*:

Awesome Battle System (and highly over-used... especially by those who don't know how to use it ^.^):

Clive's in a pickle:

This serves double as my credits list:

Battle background script
Synthesize and Jelly

Tileset and sprites
Mack

Melody Battle System Scripts
     Yanfly
     Archeia Nessiah
    Craze
    Jace Raifel
    Rukaroa
    SFLaValle
    Shanghai
    Twilight
    Wulfspade

Light and Dark song
TommyUlysesGrant

For the game maker
Enterbrain

Spriting, scripting help, game testing, overall help, special thanks to, Special Transfer script
Adhira

For Muliple Fogs Script
woratana

Autolight Script
SojaBird

Anti-lag script
Anaryu

For Swap XT
bulletxt

DeadlyDan
Title script

BigEd781  
Ladder Climbing Script

Tankentai SBS
Enu
Mr. Bubbles

Tankentai Animation 'Screen' and Reflect State Fix v1.0                          
CrimsonSeas              

Sound effects and background noise:
http://www.freesound.org    

I am going for a sense of realism, what I mean by that is that I want this world to feel real. So we plan on making several sprite sheets with several animations. For example, I want to see my characters shrug, sigh, cut wood, hang laundry, all that sort of things that you would see in the real world. I don't just want to have walking sprites. ;).

If you are at all interested in this project and want to join the team, please have an example of your work ready and post here, or pm me. We will work out the details later.

Thanks for reading,
Brokencrowe

P.S.
Most graphics seen in the demo are temporary place holders,

example:
Clive, Maya, and Isaac's face graphics, and the water Esper terrorizing the woods, and of course the crappy save point.