[Request]Tutorial for BABS-HUD making

Started by ShadowPierce, August 28, 2010, 11:18:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowPierce

->I've been trying to get someone to make a custom HUD for Wipe but I keep getting ignored, that's why I'm asking for a tutorial that will let me learn how to make a HUD similar to Z-HUD... I want to know how to draw bars & what variables I need, since I have an SR bar... You can see here what kind of HUD I want:

http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,7005.0.html

If I will rate my programming ability, it will be as follows:

Ruby - 2.5/5.0
Actual RGSS - 2.0/5.0
HTML - 2.0/5.0
Java - 2.5/5.0
Turbo C - 1.5/5.0
Visual Basic - 1.5/5.0

Hope I get a response this time!!! If no one can make a tutorial, can you at least help me make the HUD? Thanks!!! :haha:

Spoiler: ShowHide
Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
3DS Friend Code: ShowHide
1161-0627-9890

Blizzard

I always have to laugh when somebody says that they "program" in HTML or calls HTML a programming language.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ShadowPierce

Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
1161-0627-9890

Shalaren

Quote from: ShadowPierce on August 28, 2010, 11:18:10 am
I've been trying to get someone to make a custom HUD for Wipe but I keep getting ignored,

Yeah I kinda noticed that too xD,
it'll be great to have a tut like that D:

ShadowPierce

Quote from: shalaren metropolis on August 29, 2010, 01:21:15 am
Quote from: ShadowPierce on August 28, 2010, 11:18:10 am
I've been trying to get someone to make a custom HUD for Wipe but I keep getting ignored,

Yeah I kinda noticed that too xD,
it'll be great to have a tut like that D:

->@SM: Yeah, since I noticed that BABS is the trend nowadays... :D

@Blizz: I just wanted to inform others that I have HTML experience, if it makes any difference... :^_^':

1161-0627-9890

Aqua

If your RGSS is a 2.0 out of 5.0, you should be able to easily make a HUD yourself... O.o

ShadowPierce

August 29, 2010, 02:57:09 am #6 Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 03:46:49 am by ShadowPierce
->That so? Maybe I'll try, but if I still fail I'll be waiting for a tut... Thanks! :D

EDIT:
->@Aqua: BTW, I rated them based on how much I score at school... I rated my Ruby experience based o how much I understand it... If I'll compare to you, Blizz or other scripters here who I can rank 4.0-5.0, it's still pretty low... :P

1161-0627-9890

Blizzard

RGSS is not really a progamming language. It's an enhancement for Ruby. Similar to using an external library in C++. If you know Ruby, you'll be fine with RGSS. You will only need to figure out how stuff is organized in RMXP's scripts so you can use that system to your advantage.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

when people makes new HUDs they aren't so much making a new HUd as much as editing an existing one. the quickest way to learn how even if a tut exsisted is to read the code for and existing HUD and try to under stand what it is doing try simpler hud first and build up to the Z-HUD
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

ShadowPierce

->I'm still pretty busy right now IRL... When sembreak comes, I'll make sure to study lots of scripting... :D

Thanks Ryex... :haha: BTW, is soul rage added as a parameter for characters? (like HP & MP?)

1161-0627-9890

Blizzard

Yes. It goes from 0 to 1000 by default which is 0.0% to 100.0%.

ShadowPierce

->Thanks Blizz, seems that I can make my own HUD after all... But I won't lock this topic, just in case somebody else wants a tut... :haha:

:yesmaster:

1161-0627-9890

Karltheking4

The easiest way to make a hud, is to do it with only A LITTLE scripting.
Use common events, pictures, variables, and this little snippet of code:
$hud = Sprite.new
$hud.x = 0
$hud.y = 45
$hud.bitmap = Bitmap.new(100, 50)
$hud.bitmap.font.color.set(255, 0,
0, 255)
$hud2.bitmap.draw_text(0, 0, 100, 50,
$game_variables[a].to_s + $game_variables[b].to_s)

Make "a" the characters current health, and "b" the characters max health.

Hope this helps! :haha:

Tell me if that doesn't really make sense, and I'll make it clearer :^_^':

ShadowPierce

->Thanks, I'll look into it after school... *levels up anyway* :haha:

1161-0627-9890

Aqua

Um...
You just basically wrote a script in a way that would require more work than just doing it in the script editor o.o

ShadowPierce

->I'm better in Graphics than Scripting anyway, so I don't really mind... :D

1161-0627-9890

Aqua

You need the graphics in the scripting way anyway. o.o

Karltheking4

Ahh, but with my way, you just shove it in a common event, you don't actually edit the SCRIPT.
It makes it more flexible, and easier I think.
And yeah, you'll still need pictures :haha:

poxy

While working on my HUD, I learned by example. Look into how other scripts are made to get an idea of what to do, just be sure to credit them if you copy-paste anything. If you look into the Blizz-ABS, Ctrl+F "class Hud" read it through to see what is done, Ctrl+F to jump around and find methods described within the script. If it's a class or method internal to RMXP, you can Google it and usually get results (I think RPGRevolution has descriptions of these, not sure).

Here's a mini guide from a newb:

From what I've noticed, to make new elements of the Hud like a party display or w/e you would make a new class say ParHud (this is from winkio's Hud) and flesh it out with methods to draw the different items (name, HP, etc) and a method to update the display (draw those elements, in the order you want them drawn). Ctrl+F methods you are using to make sure you know what they do. For example, if you look up "Hud", you find it's also in Scene_Map as
@hud = Hud.new if $game_system.hud

and in Scene_Hotkeys as
if !$game_system.hud && @hud != nil
      # delete it
      @hud.dispose
      @hud = nil
end

So you would add your Hud element in the same way, eg
if !$game_system.hud && @hud != nil
      # delete it
      @hud.dispose
      @hud = nil
      @shadowhud.dispose
      @shadowhud = nil
end

this would delete the Hud component when it's inactive. (You would need to use the @hud variable to turn it on as well).

Anyway, it's not very descriptive but I'm just trying to say if you have a basic idea of programming, learn the syntax, it's not to difficult to learn what to do with some time and effort. I don't know much and I may have made mistakes above, but I'm just trying to show the process I went through to make my own Hud...
My Project: ShowHide