RPG Maker PY (RMPY)

Started by Ryex, September 07, 2010, 03:57:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

September 09, 2010, 01:48:49 pm #40 Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 02:03:20 pm by Ryexander
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2010, 11:17:18 am
Weird. I could run it rather ok on 1.73. O_o
hmm one sec I want to check something...
ok it seems that if you have the reduce screen flickering option set it limits the fps to 60 (this causes Lag galore)
without it it was able to get up to 108fps but was incredibility unstable randomly dropping to 1 fps or any where in between

i set the fps to 60 with no reduce screen flickering and it was far more stable but it was still wavering between 35 and 58 more than it was at 60
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

That's because screen flickering off causes the game to render every 2nd frame only thus keeping a virtual frame rate of 60 (even though it's only 30).
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

poxy

September 09, 2010, 08:34:35 pm #42 Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 08:36:42 pm by poxysmash
These are probably engine related but would be great I think if you decide to mod it...

Issue Title: 2xSal filter when stretching to full screen.
Description: Would make a full screen game look better.
Suggestion: This and similar filters are freely available...

Issue Title: Halfed tiles
Description: If applied would make any game look better and less like a grid and add more realism. This is what SNES and GBA games use.
Suggestion: A grid of four 16x16 tiles would be treated as one 32x32, and alignment of player and events would be to the top right tile of four half tiles.
My Project: ShowHide

SquareMan

Quote from: poxysmash on September 09, 2010, 08:34:35 pm
These are probably engine related but would be great I think if you decide to mod it...

Description: If applied would make any game look better and less like a grid and add more realism. This is what SNES and GBA games use.
Suggestion: A grid of four 16x16 tiles would be treated as one 32x32, and alignment of player and events would be to the top right tile of four half tiles.

that first one is probaly engine related, but idk.

the second one, Seconded, it would make games look ALOT better.
QuoteThey've got helmets on they're heads. But I gotta watermeloan instead!

Ryex

September 10, 2010, 01:42:07 am #44 Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 01:46:29 am by Ryexander
Quote from: poxysmash on September 09, 2010, 08:34:35 pm

sorry both of them are engine dependent. how could you think they weren't? even possibly?

in other news. I just finished writing the RPG module out in Python as well as the Table and Color class. wow that took a long time. though most of it was eaten up by writing the Table class. I had to learn the proper python way.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Karltheking4

September 10, 2010, 06:05:50 am #46 Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 06:24:53 am by Karltheking4
I just had a thought, though maybe it wouldn't be run by the editor, though I would think it would be.

Anyway,
Issue Title: Conditional branches like spoilers
Description: It's annoying when you have a big long, complicated event, and you can't close up conditional branches.
Suggestion:  Like, you could click on the very left of a conditional branch, and it would close and open like spoiler tab in forums, to make it easier to scroll up and down, seeing only the parts you WANT to see. You could even make a little check box aswell, so that people who didn't want to use it could turn it off. :haha:

poxy

Quote from: Ryexander on September 10, 2010, 01:42:07 am
sorry both of them are engine dependent. how could you think they weren't? even possibly?

I didn't, really.
Quote from: Ryexander on September 09, 2010, 01:35:50 am
ya I'll keep it in mind for if and when I decide to make the engine too

When I read this I decided to post my off-topic suggestions.

But half sized tiles are possible editor side, albeit thru an overly complicated, unrealistic and space consuming way:
Spoiler: ShowHide
Basically, you would draw maps with half tiles (quarter tiles, really). The editor would generate these into tilesets for each map before playtesting. The tilesets would then show up in the database.

Alternate way requires less disk space: Each map is assigned a standard tileset as normal. In addition there is a global quarter tile tileset. User has the option to break a standard tile on the map into quarters and draw them in. The editor appends the quarter tiles (from each map that uses the same standard tileset) to the standard tileset of that map. I personally could find a use for this, but realize its not practical.

For both methods terrain tags could be set by drawing them in in the map editor (ie, there is a flag layer that can draw over quarter tiles). This brings me to my on-topic idea...

OT:
Issue Title: Tileset Flags
Description: It's tedious clicking every single tile in every single map to set all the flags.
Suggestion: Instead a draw flag mode could be used. In the database, select flag type to draw (passability, 4-way, priority, etc) and a flag draw selection (true, false, priority #, etc). Would also be sweet if they made a color coded overlay, to better see all the detail.
My Project: ShowHide

Blizzard

Half tiles are still part of the engine. If the engine doesn't support half tiles properly, no editor hacks can really help you (at least not in a productive way).

Ryex

September 10, 2010, 02:17:11 pm #49 Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 10:02:11 pm by Ryexander
Quote from: Karltheking4 on September 10, 2010, 06:05:50 am
Issue Title: Conditional branches like spoilers
Description: It's annoying when you have a big long, complicated event, and you can't close up conditional branches.
Suggestion:  Like, you could click on the very left of a conditional branch, and it would close and open like spoiler tab in forums, to make it easier to scroll up and down, seeing only the parts you WANT to see. You could even make a little check box aswell, so that people who didn't want to use it could turn it off. :haha:

Quote from: poxysmash on September 10, 2010, 06:18:49 am
Issue Title: Tileset Flags
Description: It's tedious clicking every single tile in every single map to set all the flags.
Suggestion: Instead a draw flag mode could be used. In the database, select flag type to draw (passability, 4-way, priority, etc) and a flag draw selection (true, false, priority #, etc). Would also be sweet if they made a color coded overlay, to better see all the detail.

hmm those are too very good ideas!

I'll do my best to implement them.

EDIT:
ok. at the moment I'm working on a ruby script that can import RMXP data to an xml format so it can be read by RMPY when I'm donw ther will also be a version that goes from the xml format to RMXP data.
the thing it that while so far i'm successful the resulting file is 10 times as big as the XP version. I'm converting it to a raw xml file. would it be a good idea to compress it with Gzip from Zlib?

EDIT:
HOLLY SH*T! Difference in size between gzip output and not 18 kb > compressed,  1580 kb > uncompressed

Blizzard

Hey, Ryex, it would be better if you just used Marshal for serialization in Python. I think there is a library for that.

Ryex

if there is I couldn't find it, I tried.
in any case I got it to work perfectly on the ruby side... it is just rather slow... by slow I mean 30 min to import or export the tilesets.rxdata, good news. the tilesets.rmpy file is 15kb while the tilesets.rxdata file is 160kb

now I have to write it for the python side

Blizzard

Ryex

they're not the same
QuoteThe format is specific to Python

Zeriab

There are plenty of nice ideas here :D

P.s. I actually once got it up to 410 FPS although that was definitely not intended by the Enterbrain  s*:^_^':
Spoiler: ShowHide

*hug

Blizzard

We all know how evil you are. D:

@Ryex: :/

I still think you should stick to Ruby's Marshal for compatibility's sake. You don't even have to really figure out the whole format. I implemented a partial reader in Blizz-ABS Config so you can take a look at it. You can even take a look at the Ruby source for Marshal: http://ruby-doc.org/doxygen/1.8.4/marshal_8c-source.html
There probably is even a specification lying around on the internet.

Ryex

I'f I could understand a bit of c then that might be of use to me.  I any case I'll stick with what i have for now

Blizzard

Alright. But I strongly recommend you update it later some time. It will make things a lot more convenient long term.

Hey, if you want, I might take a look at it myself. Python has eval so I can probably relatively easy make a Marshal module that allows you to load Ruby Marshal files without having to bother with reflection.

Ryex

if you want to give it a try I would hardly object. being able to load and dump strait into a ruby marshal format would be awesome

Blizzard

I have to sneak somehow into the credits of your editor, don't I? :>