Orcs template

Started by Dweller, September 10, 2010, 05:55:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller

September 10, 2010, 05:55:18 pm Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 01:59:18 am by dwellercoc
A friend ask me for an orc template that match with RTP resources so he can make differents orcs sprites for a game. I´m working on the template and want to have some feedback.

I decided to work on G-Judo male template cause i like the walking animation (thinking on orcs) :
G-Judo: ShowHide

- First step was changing the template skin to a dark green. After that I worked on the head (jax, eyes, ears, mouth and nose). I didn´t want a rude face expresion nor a happy one.
- The second step was to work on chest and hip because G-Judo template ones are too thin for an orc (also I made the template 1 pixel taller).
- Third step was to work on arms and legs. The shoulders size were increased and added more muscles to the arms. The legs and feets got more details and finally detailed the chest muscles and the adominal muscles (also I separated the hands from the body 1 pixel)
The result at this point:

To test the sprite I added lether cloth, shoes and put hair, bear and eyebrows.

test on a RTP map: ShowHide

I´m happy with the results but before continue spriting the whole animation I want some feedback.

Thanks for your help.

Full template:
Spoiler: ShowHide

(now working on attack, idle and static poses for this template)
Dwellercoc

cyclope

Things I Hate

1. People who point at their wrist asking for the time... I know where my watch is pal, where the hell is yours? Do I point at my crotch when I ask where the toilet is?

2. People who are willing to get off their a** to search the entire room for the TV remote because they refuse to walk to the TV and change the channel manually.

3. When people say "Oh you just want to have your cake and eat it too". Damn Right! What good is cake if you can't eat it?

4. When people say "it's always the last place you look". Of course it is. Why the hell would you keep looking after you've found it? Do people do this? Who and where are they?

5. When people say while watching a film, "did ya see that?" No Loser, I paid $12 to come to the cinema and stare at the damn floor!

6. People who ask "Can I ask you a question?"... Didn't give me a choice there, did ya sunshine?

SquareMan

thats very nice, how about posting the template itself? after all, this IS the resource section.
QuoteThey've got helmets on they're heads. But I gotta watermeloan instead!

Silentknight72

NIZE! *LeVElhZZ UFphzzz Dw3L|eRzzc0Chzz*
Sigs: ShowHide

Calintz

Dweller

September 11, 2010, 01:39:39 am #5 Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 01:13:59 pm by dwellercoc
Quote from: SquareMan on September 10, 2010, 08:32:17 pm
thats very nice, how about posting the template itself? after all, this IS the resource section.

The static front view is all I have got right now. This post is about feedback of this view before continue with the rest of the template (also planning _idl sprite, a few _atk sprites and propably a few posses).

Of course, when the template is done I´ll share it here.

[EDIT 09/12/10]: The template is almost done:

Dwellercoc

Dweller

The orc template is done:

(I updated the first post to include the template).

Now I´m working on an Elf template using Kaos human template as reference:

This post will be updated with the template progress, feel free to critizise
Dwellercoc

Calintz

I think you did a fine job with the orc Dweller. A fine job.

Dweller

Thanks. I´m not very happy with the side view animation, something is not working... may I´ll change it.
Dwellercoc

Calintz

I see what you mean ...
I can't pinpoint it myself, but I know what you're talking about.

ShadowPierce

Quote from: dwellercoc on September 13, 2010, 02:07:11 am
Thanks. I´m not very happy with the side view animation, something is not working... may I´ll change it.

Quote from: Calintz on September 13, 2010, 02:13:20 am
I see what you mean ...
I can't pinpoint it myself, but I know what you're talking about.
->Pro'lly because it looks like it's walking diagonally forward+downward... (Maybe?)

Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
3DS Friend Code: ShowHide
1161-0627-9890

Holyrapid

Yea. the orc seems to be walking in 30-45 degree angle in the side motion parts...

Ryex

Quote from: dwellercoc on September 13, 2010, 02:07:11 am

its the knee.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Dweller

Thank for the feedback.

The 30-45 degree angle sive view don´t help but propbably is the knee (as Ryexander said). This new version don´t look so "rare"

(still working on this view)
Dwellercoc

poxy

It looks pretty good. The final with the leather cloth would be great when animated.
About the last animated sprite you posted: the 30-45 degree angle is not a big deal, really. There are plenty of games with sprites that seem to walk diagonally. I would say the head movement is off. the head should swing the opposite way of the arm (reversed of what you have). But the head swing may not be necessary, it looks a bit like the the eye and ear are just moving in relation to the mouth. I would suggest reversing the head movement, and if that doesn't work then to try to have the head static.
But it looks good so far.
My Project: ShowHide

Dweller

September 20, 2010, 01:47:02 am #15 Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 02:21:14 am by Dweller
I don´t forget about this "project". Made a few posses:

QuoteIt looks pretty good. The final with the leather cloth would be great when animated.
About the last animated sprite you posted: the 30-45 degree angle is not a big deal, really. There are plenty of games with sprites that seem to walk diagonally. I would say the head movement is off. the head should swing the opposite way of the arm (reversed of what you have). But the head swing may not be necessary, it looks a bit like the the eye and ear are just moving in relation to the mouth. I would suggest reversing the head movement, and if that doesn't work then to try to have the head static.
But it looks good so far.

Thanks for the tips. I´ll work on the head movement and see what happend.
Dwellercoc

Calintz

They aren't bad, but the kneeling pose is un-proportional and oddly positioned.

Dweller

Quote from: Calintz on September 20, 2010, 02:09:31 am
They aren't bad, but the kneeling pose is un-proportional and oddly positioned.

Agree, this pose need more work.

This one is an Orc warrior using my template:
Dwellercoc

poxy

My Project: ShowHide

Calintz