I'm starting scripting ^^

Started by element, September 11, 2010, 05:06:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

element

Hi all,

Today, I'd like to start trying to script.
Cuz I'm making a game that'll have a lot of scripts that still need to be made.
I read some articles online how to script RGSS, I might need to re-read them cuz I don't really know how to start.
That's why I ask you all how u started scripting RGSS, or started scripting at all.
RGSS/Ruby would be my first scripting language I learn.

I took a goal for me, I'd like to script something that takes track of eneamy levels so that they can be placed later on in a hud. The hud is something to make after this one.

So, what I like to make:
A system that will give something like: Eneamy[ID]'s level == ['45']
Just so I can dislpay the level later on in the Hud, apart from the name.
I think this would be an easy part of code and a good start.

What I ask to you guys:
How did you start scripting? What tutorials did you follow? What did u do next?
And afterwards, how would I need to start making this script?

Thanks In advance for your helps ^^

Blizzard

I started messing around with others' simple scripts. I did edits and watched what happened, what changed in the original workflow of a script. That way I figured out which part did what and quite quickly (later on the same day I actually started) I was able to put together a simple script myself. It was a credits script that would show picture after picture. (Later I upgraded that script to the Picture Movie Scene from Tons.)
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

element

That's a good Idea. I'll start checking out some scripts.

stripe103

That is how I started as well. Though I haven't got as good.
The first thing I ever did with scripting was editing Zeriabs QuestBook.
It turned out quite good as an AchievementsBook. I'm quite happy with it.

Aqua

O.o Why is this in News/Suggestions/Feedback?

littleK123

heelo im new to rpg maker xp i have a friend name joey101 on rpg rpg revoultion
i got rpg maker xp downloaded and i asked him if he can help me out he said hes busy so i should go here and he told me to look for the:
Blizz-ABS but i cant find it can some one help me thank you

Blizzard

http://www.chaos-project.com/index.php?option=com_scriptdatabase&view=scriptdatabase&Itemid=29

Please try searching harder the next time and making use of the search function in the forum (there's a button in the top menu).

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Calintz

Well Element I'm pulling for you man!!
I too will give scripting another chance.

element

I hope we get there  :)
Any other scripters wanna post how they started?
It would help me a lot.

winkio

I had a small programming background, so I just applied that knowledge to RGSS.  I guess reading over Blizz-ABS, understanding it, and then making small modifications to it were the first things I did, two years ago.

Ryex

well I started like most every one else said, by reading a script i wanted to edit and trying to under stand it. eventually I decided that I would learn more by making my own so I made the "collapsed" menu (eventually I edited it to be the "collapsing" menu). I also read several ruby tutorials as i was a complete beginner when it came to programing.
the thing about tuts: they can teach you all the syntax in the world, but not a single one of them teaches the jump from knowing syntax to knowing how to apply it. this is where the large learning curve comes in. knowing how to make all those words do what you want is never taught, only what the words mean is.

good luck.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Calintz

@Ryexander:
That is the leap I never crossed. Well put.

Ryex

the only way I know of to cross it is to make something and then make something else, getting more complex each time.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Calintz

Make something ... then make something else huh?
Well ... I don't even know how to make a CMS. I mean ... I can add additional features and shit, but as far as adding original items like sprite animations of things that would actually make a CMS cool ... nope.

Ryex

thats where I started. :P
I also asked a lot of questions when i went to build something beyond my ability. this place is very friendly to budding scripters

element

Becouse probably i'm only going to make graphical scripts and stuff, i'm going to try to dislpay a picture, and dislplay text in it. Should be easy hm?

Blizzard

Put the gold window on the map for training. Through that process you should learn how scenes and windows are organized.

Gah, I still need to make my guide "How to learn scripting in X steps".

Ryex

if some one ever makes a guide that allows people to make that leap between knowledge and application I will be very happy.

element

September 12, 2010, 05:25:18 am #18 Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 06:06:50 am by element
I second what ryex said  :D

EDIT : Ok so I tried to write something that shows a picture on the map.
Most simple thing there is I think. I wrote a, probably shitty, piece of code :
##################################################
#                                                #
#              Text on picture test              #
#                                                #
##################################################

class Text_test

##############################
  #   Draw Text and picture    #
  ##############################
  def initialize
  Bitmap.new(189-Down01)
  Bitmap.new(50, 50)
  dispose
  end
end

How do I call this on the map? How do I make it appear on the map?
What am I doing wrong? What needs to be added?

Please be easy on me cuz I don't really already know what i'm doing.

Ryex

September 12, 2010, 04:26:11 pm #19 Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 05:09:04 pm by Ryexander
well to call it on the map you would edit scene maps main method but as is your code won't work. Bitmaps alone aren't drawn to the screen you need to create a sprite and attach the bitmap to it btw the Bitmap.new(50, 50) create an empty bitmap and won't do anything and the Bitmap.new(189-Down01) won't work because first off it take a string and second the path to the image is wrong