strange garbage collection behavior

Started by Ryex, August 03, 2010, 07:02:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

strange garbage collection behavior.

a while ago I came across the strangest bug.
I was using rmxp and a bitmap to png script to process large amounts of images to which i need to perform repeated operations.
(it got the the point where I was processing hundreds of images) how ever. the first time i tried to do more than 100 images at once, I got an error that it could not accesses a file the clearly existed and was not in use.
so I added
GC.Start

inside the loop for each image after the disposal. and THEN it worked.
I thought that this was strange that the garbage collection didn't happen automatically so I removed the line and tried again, I got the error again
could it be the GC modal doesn't start until we TELL it to?
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Zeriab

The garbage cleaner has its own life.
You can start it explicitly which generally is a bad idea, but can help if you loose reference to a large amount of objects.

In your case I believe the problem is that you don't dispose some (all?) of the images before loosing the reference too them.

Ryex

well it was in a loop that looked like this
def self.resize
    GC.enable
    unless FileTest.directory?("resize")
      Dir.mkdir("resize")
    end
    for i in 1..493
      if (i % 50) == 0
        GC.start
        Graphics.update
      end
      if FileTest.exists?("Graphics/Pictures/start/#{i}.bmp")
        start_bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture("start/#{i}.bmp")
        w = start_bitmap.width
        h = start_bitmap.height
        new_bitmap = Bitmap.new(w + (w * 0.5) , h + (h * 0.5))
        src_rect = Rect.new(0, 0, w, h)
        dest_rect = Rect.new(0, 0, w + (w * 0.5) , h + (h * 0.5))
        new_bitmap.stretch_blt(dest_rect, start_bitmap, src_rect)
        new_bitmap.make_png("#{i}", 'resize/')
        new_bitmap.dispose
        start_bitmap.dispose
        new_bitmap = start_bitmap = nil
      end
    end
  end

but until I added the GC.enable it would give me an error about half way through about not being able to access a file the DID exist and was not in use by anything. I guess i could of gotten by without the GC.start thought.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Actually I would recommend not to mess with the GC. :/ It's enabled and started by default.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Zeriab

I suggest that you do not put it in the since you are just going to throw it away.
Instead use Bitmap.new(filename).

Note also that your way does not work with encrypted archives as FileTest.exists? will not detect files in the .rgssad.

ForeverZer0

Yeah, I don't worry about Garbage Collection. He just comes early morning every Wednesday and takes it for me.  :)
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Ryex

normally I would leave the GC as is, however in this instance where i was using rgss to process bitmaps to make them into usable sprite and not have to photoshop 400+ images just to resize and align them. the script failed about 75 images in, and didn't work UNTIL  i mess with the GC. I was just wondering if there was a reason I even had to touch the gc when it normal works.

Blizzard

Ryex

Blizzard

That's about 9 MB of memory. There's no way that you ran out of RAM. :/

SBR*

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on August 05, 2010, 04:52:18 pm
Yeah, I don't worry about Garbage Collection. He just comes early morning every Wednesday and takes it for me.  :)

ROFL! *level up*

You're a genius!

Ryex

September 12, 2010, 04:08:47 am #12 Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 04:36:33 am by Ryexander
well while i was reconstructing the RPG::Cache class to work for RMPY I noticed this

def self.clear
 @cache = {}
 GC.start
end

is it called there just to make sure that everything is collected? or is it called because otherwise it is never run?

Blizzard

Honestly, I'm not sure myself. This starts the GC in general. When it's active, it keeps doing its job when it feels like it. Now, I'm not sure if calling start forces the GC to clear all garbage that has been collected up to that point. And I don't remember if the Ruby documentation explained it either.

Ryex

well if it dose the same thing that pythons gc.collect dose it makes sense
first off you would really only clear the cache when exiting and when youe do you cut refrence to a ton of large objects so it would make sense that you would want to gc them asap.