Earthbound, Secret of Mana, Suikoden, and Wild Arms

Started by Phasedscar, March 15, 2008, 03:16:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Phasedscar

March 15, 2008, 03:16:28 pm Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 03:17:04 pm by Phasedscar
I'm curious if anyone is using these games as inspiration for your own work of art?

I'm taking a lot from Secret of Mana in how I eventually want the battles to play out, as well as the overall visual style (with a lot of my own twists).

From Earthbound I want to have the goofy sense of humor, interesting NPC characters, and intersting gameplay elements.

Suikoden has by far one of the best stories for an RPG ever.  It's the first one where it had NOTHING to do with the end of the world and instead was about war, rebellion, and freedom.  I was going to use those basic elements in my own game for the main story, but I'm not going to reveal more then that for now ;)

Wild Arms had one of most interesting premises for a game.  Set in an old west type world dealing with the invasion of demons (in this case a half man, half machine species that was far superior to the local inhabitants of Felagia) this game had one of the best character stories ever.  Dealing with what individuality is, it sets the characters in a long quest to save the slowly decaying planet.  Though the best thing about this game was it's unique character tools and puzzles.  Some were true mind twisters and I plan to incorperate something just as in depth and cerebral as the Wild Arms series has been able to bring.

BTW, 2 of these were for the old PS1 and 2 were for the SNES, in case you want to reference them.
Spoiler: ShowHide
My own game project & My resource workshop! (respectively)
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=608.0 http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=682.0

What that is? Affection area for flails. - Blizz-ABS, the ultimate ABS

The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB. The height must not exceed 200 px and the width must not exceed 800 px. Altogether they may take up an area of 160000 px2. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

Flermza

Only Wild ARMs and Suikoden.
I take an example from these games, and compare the idea's between those two games and my game. That way I can improve upon my games storyline.

Starrodkirby86

Suikoden has one of the best storylines and personality of characters in any Japanese RPG. All Five of them are related in some way, whether it'd be Ivanov's painting to Georg the mysterious warrior. Though I don't exactly use their art style.

NSFW?: ShowHide

On an off-topic note, I made a humorous Suikoden comic strip. It was like on the lines of Lucretia, Suikoden V's tactician, stating on what the people do...I can only remember two now. It was that she ordered the Prince to sleep with her and Lyon to masturbate in a closet. And you couldn't defy her orders, she's the tactician, she "knows" what is going on.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

fugibo

I've never played any of these. And I don't where I get my inspiration from anyways. I'm pretty sure that a blonde guy that can bend space and time with the mere force of his will (litterally) fighting the very being of light and dark that rules over the souls of all humanity (and other races) has never been done.

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: WcW on March 15, 2008, 10:07:02 pm
I've never played any of these. And I don't where I get my inspiration from anyways. I'm pretty sure that a blonde guy that can bend space and time with the mere force of his will (litterally) fighting the very being of light and dark that rules over the souls of all humanity (and other races) has never been done.
I'm not understanding if that is a joke or not. Because a blonde guy that can bend space and time with the mere force of his will sounds very similar to Lucas from Mother III, as he uses PSI power to do Psychic powers. However, it can always be different. I'm just curious.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!

Phasedscar

lol, Apple would have been an easier target for a comic strip but I see why you picked Lucritca.  Curiously the strategy parts of Suikoden is not why I liked them.

At least all but IV were awesome games, and many have returning characters (like Laknaat and Luc, and occassionally Flik and Victor) which, if I make a follow up to my game, I'll probably end up doing.

The whole 108 stars thing was pretty cool too.
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=608.0 http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=682.0

The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB. The height must not exceed 200 px and the width must not exceed 800 px. Altogether they may take up an area of 160000 px2. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

Nortos

Wild Arms and Lufia 2 my biggest imspiration both amazing rpgs that I've played a fair amount of times, just wish I had an emulator as I cnt be blowed getting the ps1 and snes out every time want to play them

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Phasedscar on March 15, 2008, 11:26:19 pm
lol, Apple would have been an easier target for a comic strip but I see why you picked Lucritca.  Curiously the strategy parts of Suikoden is not why I liked them.
I never reached as far as Apple, even not as far as Roy. In fact, the last time I played, or the farthest, was the reviving of LordLake and obtaining my new Headquarters. Other than that, that's why I chose Lucretia since I knew her more and it was kind of clear...

Yes, the 108 stars are awesome...but they should tell us how much we have. D:

Phasedscar

Apple was the lead tactician in the other Suikoden games.  And I kind of stopped V after the liberation of Lordlake and the new HQ, but that's because I wasn't able to play it for like.. 2 months, so I don't even remember what's going on :(

darklight

Out of the ones you mentioned I tend to draw from Secret of Mana. I love the art style and the overall story, and I'm pretty sure fans of SoM will see that reflected in my maps. I was tempted to make a ring menu, but a full-screen menu would serve my game better. And as for the rest of my rpg influences, I actually put it as my sig. :P I'll give whoever can decode it a power up point. ;)

The demo release has been pushed back. In the meantime, you can check out my resources thread.
I'm also working on the project site - stay tuned for a launch very soon!

Blizzard

I have to admit, I reference to SoM when working on Blizz-ABS. :)
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Phasedscar

I particularly loved the ABS in SoM2 (or Sieken Densetsu 3) which you can only play if you have an english translated rom.  It had a FAR superior battle system to what SoM did but still kept up the fun.

Another game you can draw inspiration from Blizz is Secret of Evermore.  Honest, in my opinion one of Squares best but undervalued games for the SNES, they really refined the system used in SoM and made it very very interesting.

Blizzard

I agree. I guess Blizz-ABS has a little bit of all of them. I even took ideas from Zelda like the boomerang retrieving items.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Phasedscar

Blizz-ABS is pretty awesome, and lets face it... most Action RPGs made now barrowed heavily from Legend of Zelda and Diablo.  Just because you barrowed some of the ideas doesn't mean you didn't make a great system.

After all, there's nothing truely original or unique anymore, everything's either an itteration or copy.  Often improving off the older systems of things.  Does that take away from anything today?  No, not really, just means you had to think of new and creative ways of improving on older ideas :)