The systems inspiration topic *New concept added*

Started by The Niche, November 07, 2010, 12:21:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Niche

November 07, 2010, 12:21:03 pm Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:11:44 am by The Niche
I'm feeling in need of something to do, so I'm going to use this topic for system ideas which occasionally occur to me.

Mainstream video game systems: ShowHide

Ok, so Fable 3's out and with it, some pretty cool systems. So, how can we add them to xp/vx?

Whenever I get my laptop back, I'm going to work on the sanctuary system. Which, incidentally, will be incredibly easy. But what about the harder systems? Like alignment, weapon morphing. Weapon morphing could be done in one of two ways: The way lionhead did it, with the weapon changing dramatically at certain points, or the way they promised, with the weapon always changing subtly, adapting to your fighting style, to your prevailant kills, to the amount of giraffes you walk under, the possibilies for insanity are endless. To do this, I'd suggest implementing a "gradient" system, where you have two pictures, a start picture and an end picture, and then you set it up so the weapon/character/whatever else gradually changes from the start to the end pic. To make it more complicated, have it trying to change into two, three, forty two, different pictures at once.

Totally original but still probably ripped ideas: ShowHide

After that subtle but incredibly obvious jab at Wink, he does have a point. Anyone feel like making a disguise system that allows you to access different areas?

Miscellaneous systems: ShowHide

Well, this is an interesting one. It's one of those little niggly things that make a game different from others. Ok, I'll stop waffling now. You know the counter system has a number of digits with arrows above and below them, which you can pick from and set using the arrow keys? Well, here's what I was thinking. How about a system whereby the second digit only becomes available when you set the first one to ten.

Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

winkio

You know what is better than copying systems that have already been done perfectly in AAA titles?  Using some originality and making your own.

Example:  make an espionage game where you acquire new disguises throughout the game that allow access to new areas.

The Niche

I do believe that has been done on several occasions but meh. I'll add it.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!