SD Series - Link 01

Started by Calintz, November 05, 2010, 12:23:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Calintz

Spoiler: ShowHide

SD Series:
The SD (Super Deformed) Series is a new chapter in my work flow. I really enjoy portraying characters in this unique style. My direct inspiration for this genre comes from a Korean Artist named 'Keun-Hwa Huh.' He did SD work for the critically acclaimed 'Magna Carta: Tears of Blood' for the Playstation 2 gaming platform.

About the Work:
This particular piece is a portrayal of Link from Twilight Princess during his days as a farm herder.

I hope you enjoy this piece...
I encourage you to leave comments as they are the most valuable resource for self improvement. Thank you for your time.

-Hugs-

WhiteRose

Well done. Personally, I don't really like the style much, but that's just my opinion. The artwork itself is well drawn, though. Good job.

Calintz

Right on.
Thank you for posting.

Blizzard

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

its like chibi but not. I like the style but not how freaking small the feet are, If I were to use this style I'd tone down just hoe deforms the hands and feet are. I don't like how that hands are inflated rubber gloves and the feet are hooves
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

You know what they say about men with big feet... :naughty: Poor Link. :V:
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Calintz

yea! about the feet.
when I first did them I made them large like his hands, but they looked weird, because his feet are basically bare. enlarging the feet works well with shoes, but not so much when they're bare. well, at least I haven't mastered it yet.

at any rate!
thanks for all the feedback guys!

Diokatsu

The legs look a bit awkward, but the overall piece is really well drawn. I'm no fan of the style, but the technique is refined. I like the work. Good job.

Calintz

I have to agree.
This is still a very new style to me. I think what keeps me from getting a professional look to my work with this style is my strong sense of logic and boundaries as such. I always try to keep things logical and realistic when designing something, but this particular genre of work is meant to break all of those boundaries! I'll continue to work and try to adjust as such.

@Dio:
Thank you. I know how critical you are with art, so I'm very pleased to have a review like that from you.

legacyblade

I don't have much to say other than to echo what everyone else has said. I think the style is ok, though I personally prefer it's cousin the chibi. The leg on the left looks like it's dislocated at the knee, and the feet are too small for how the style has been set up. Think of it in terms of the artistic logic you were speaking of. He's TOO top heavy. Top heavy characters are fine, but his hands and head are exasperated. Since the limbs and torso are diminutive, this means if you still want a round cute-ish character the extremities need to be enlarged. You did that on the top, but since they're enlarged, it makes the feet look too small (even though they're more proportional). It just doesn't fit the logic and style of the style you're using, in my opinion, so enlarging them would help alot. (don't worry if it looks kinda like a hobbit.

Other than that, it's REALLY well drawn. I think you did an especially good job on the hair. Hair is my weakness.

Calintz

Hahaha dislocated at the knee!
Unfortunately, I see what you're talking about, Lol. I agree too...Thank you for critiquing it Legacyblade!

This was the first piece I did in SD, rather than Chibi. I will take what was said into consideration on future projects!

legacyblade

Hope my critique helped some. And I can't wait to see your next attempts in this style. It'll be cool to see how your style evolves over time.