New but trying to learn rpgmaker xp

Started by worldwriter, November 29, 2010, 02:38:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

worldwriter

First, thanks to Blizzard and Ryan for making Blizz ABS.

Secondly, I'm rather new to all this and just need some help with basic yet important elements.

I have already learned how to make a quest where an npc asks the player to kill a set number of a certain monster and the monsters in question have a variable counter on them to let the npc know when the quest is complete...

Now Id like to learn how to make the following

1. A caterpillar party which I already know how to activate in Blizz ABS except Id like to meet each party member during the game some joining automatically while other may have quests to join or have the player choose yes or no conditional branch if they join.

2. shops. Item, Armor, weapon. nothing fancy yet, just a place to make basic transactions.

Any other tutorials or examples of basic events or mechanics of a standard rpg game are welcome as well.

Basicly, if you know how to do it and its either one of the things Ive asked for above or a key ingredient in one of the old Square or Enix rpgs, show me how to do it in this thread!

Thanks in advance everyone, seems like a nice community.

Worldwriter

G_G

Theres a Shop Processing event on the 3rd page of event commands.

worldwriter

Thanks so much! Can't wait to learn more...

Subsonic_Noise

There are also add / remove party member options on the event pages  and a start party option in the database.
But hey, there are toutorials all over the place. Go read for a bit, I'm pretty sure nobody feels like explaining the most basic things over and over again. We have a toutorial section, there is the RMXP / BlizzABS manual and there is google. Good Luck.

G_G

Heres a couple of events for the party thing.

Storyline Join
Spoiler: ShowHide

>@Show Text (Page 1): Da da da da! This guy has joined the party!
>@Change Party Members (Page 1): Add [Actor], Initialize

Choice Join
Spoiler: ShowHide

>@Show Text (Page 1): Would you like me to join?
>@Show Choices (Page 1): Yes, No
: When Yes
    >@Show Text (Page 1): Da da da da! This guy has joined the party!
    >@Change Party Members (Page 1): Add [Actor], Initialize
: When No
    >@Show Text (Page 1): Awww! =(
: End Branch

worldwriter

AWESOME! Thank you so much for the help, and yes Ive been checking out the tutorials but I had no idea about the party join stuff or the shopkeeper event, thus this thread has already been pure profit, now what else can you kind folks teach me about basic rpg story tools?

ForeverZer0

Just mess around with the different event commands and options in the database. That is the best way to learn and how most get started.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

G_G

worldwriter

Here's a question how do I stop stop the game from starting by default with the first 4 actors in the list as the beginning party? What if I only want my hero at the beginning?

G_G

November 29, 2010, 05:03:55 pm #9 Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 05:14:43 pm by game_guy
Open up the database. (Press F9 for quicker) Go to the last page. You should see a listbox with 4 actors in it. Delete the ones you need to delete.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: game_guy on November 29, 2010, 05:03:55 pm
Delete the ones you need.

That's always a good thing to do. Remember this, kids!

worldwriter

Another question, custom CMSs are supposed to work with Blizz ABS but I tried the chrono trigger CMS just as a test and it won't work no matter whether I disable the custom keys, go with the default ones.. doesnt seem to matter, I even tried bringing BLIZZ ABS into the CT CMS project where the CMS was already working... Blizz disabled it there as well... any ideas?

G_G

try placing the menu below blizz-abs? Or what exactly is the problem.

worldwriter

That worked great and I'm sorry I had though the direction had said Blizz had to be below everything but Main...

Now how do I stop my party from walking in place when they aren't moving?

Subsonic_Noise

Idle animation, standing sprite.
Please start reading manuals and using common sense now.

Blizzard

Quote from: worldwriter on November 29, 2010, 06:08:08 pm
That worked great and I'm sorry I had though the direction had said Blizz had to be below everything but Main...

It pretty much depends on how things are coded. Generally Blizz-ABS should go below other people's scripts, but in some cases, that won't work. Mixing 2 CBS-es is generally a bad idea (especially because most of them will probably show unexpected behavior when mixed together), but it's up to you.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.