Final Fantasy VI-Style Party System

Started by WhiteRose, February 21, 2010, 07:56:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteRose

Final Fantasy VI-Style Party System
Version: 1.00
Type: Party Switcher

Introduction
In Final Fantasy VI, you enter a room on your Airship where you can add members to your party by speaking with them. This script accomplishes the same effect.

Features

• Could theoretically work for any number of party members.
  • Easy to set up.
  • Room could be placed anywhere (town, vehicle, at save points, etc.)
  • Optional: Plays characters theme song if you add them to your party (a la Chrono Trigger.)
  • It is assumed that you will have a main character who never leaves the party. If you allow the player to pick their own party leader, this event system will not work.
  • Requires one switch for every party member and one variable for the amount of members currently in the party.

Screenshots
(See screenshots in Instructions)

Demo
http://www.mediafire.com/?zikyj4mjngy

Instructions
Firstly, you must have the game remove all party members except the leader when entering the Party Switching Room.
Next, create a switch for each character, and make sure the event to the Party Switching Room turns them all off:
Now create a variable called Party Members, and set it to 0.
Your finished event for the event transporting the player to the Party Switching Room should look something like this:
Spoiler: ShowHide

Now, inside the Party Switching Room, create an event for each member of your party, and set it up like so:
Spoiler: ShowHide

The Party Members variable should be checked for one less than your maximum party. (In my demo, the max number of party members is three, so I set the variable to check if there are already two members, since the leader is always in the party.)
Set up a second page that is blank that with the condition that that character's switch is on.

If you want to play a character's theme song when they join your party, simply add the Play BGM event code after their acceptance message.

Credits and Thanks

• Square for making Final Fantasy VI, which this system is based on.

Author's Notes
I understand this is a fairly simplistic system, but it provides a good example to people new at eventing and is fairly useful to boot if for whatever reason you don't want a script-based party switcher such as Blizzard's Easy Party Switcher.

fugibo

ShinyToyGuns

Apparently it isn't...She put it in the correct forum to begin with...but...
Blizzard moved it
Days
I've missed so many days
In a world that has become an unfamiliar place
Now to you, I'm just an unfamiliar face

~Shiny Toy Guns, Blown Away (2008)

Blizzard

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ForeverZer0

QuoteI understand this is a fairly simplistic system

Often times, that is what makes them good.

Good job. *powers up*
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

megaman30796

:O.o:u r using the names of the three stooges.....
"You know the world is going crazy," Chris Rock declared in 2003, "when the best rapper [Eminem] is a white guy, the best golfer [Tiger Woods] is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA [Yao Ming] is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named 'Bush,' 'Dick,' and 'Colon.' Need I say more?"

WhiteRose

January 06, 2011, 10:32:38 am #6 Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:34:16 am by WhiteRose
Quote from: megaman30796 on January 06, 2011, 08:14:29 am

Yep. Just a little Easter Egg type thing. Another example is the demo for F0's CCTS - the default date is July 4, 1776. Anyone else catch that?

ForeverZer0

Quote from: WhiteRose on January 06, 2011, 10:32:38 am
Quote from: megaman30796 on January 06, 2011, 08:14:29 am

Yep. Just a little Easter Egg type thing. Another example is the demo for F0's CCTS - the default date is July 4, 1776. Anyone else catch that?

I wondered how many would notice that.  ;)
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.