The Storyline Service. Worldbuilding, Plots, Characters & Internal Consistency!

Started by Vell, January 07, 2008, 07:03:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GrieverSoft

I'm going for something simple and memorable.  Let's take water, for instance.  It has a simple name, and it is the most important thing on this earth to life.  The sun, too.  Oh, and carbon.  Anyway...

This element is supposed to be allegory to oil.  It's extremely precious, allowing people to increase their lifespans, others to cast magic, and it powers airships (the one JRPG element I just HAD to include).  However, it only naturally occurs (we think) in the desert region of Al-Vaatir, and is hard to get.  Living in the desert are nomadic tribes of elves and hostile Wyrms.  Mining the stuff makes you vulnerable to both.  If you've read Dune, you'll know that I'm ripping it off.

As for the stuff itself, I'm not sure what color it's supposed to be, but when it's pure, it forms geometrically perfect crystals.  It'll probably be blue.  Yeah, blue, the color of most mana bars on most WRPGs.  When this element is alloyed with iron and/or silver, mithril is formed.

When deposits of this element are left alone long enough, the micro-organisms living on the crystals evolve into neural tissue.  Over more time, this neural tissue becomes sapient.  Like I said before, some of these deposits are discovered, worshiped and enshrined.  One religion in particular holds that if someone is 'touched,' by this deposit (in reality, corrupted, or made into a mage), then these people have to become Clerics and go on healing missions.

Peoples bodies can be corrupted by the element if they take too much of it.  Eventually, they grow dependent on it, and over more time (or if they just take a shit-ton of it over short time), their body starts to produce the stuff.  Mages and clerics are in this state, but not to such a severe degree, and casting magic helps cleanse their bodies.  A sign of deep corruption is a person's blood-red eyes. If they don't expel the element from their bodies, then crystal structures will start to replace their natural tissues.  Their higher brain functions will atrophy.  They'll be consumed with the desire to corrupt others with the element.  They'll become Anathaema.  My version of undead are pretty much the same thing as Cie'th from Final Fantasy XIII, if you've ever played that.

Dragons are a special kind of Anathaema that aren't really corrupted by the element, so much as they are in a kind of symbiosis.  Their fire-breath is blue and leaves crystals as a residue.  If anyone disturbs a deposit of the element, there's usually a dragon not far behind to protect it.  This will become a plot point, later.

It has a minty scent to it.  The crystal tends to be very smooth and glassy, and mithril alloys are usually shinier than other metals.
I like pie.  The pie is also evil.

Hatsamu

kenshen

May 20, 2011, 08:40:19 pm #262 Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 02:41:11 pm by kenshen
Hey i need help with an odd story i don't have alot and wondered if you could help

so my story involves a man named yukoo saruto yes i like Japanese names ahem so any way he and his friend ken
so one night he was having a dream about the kingdom he lives in being destroyed by an emperor of darkness so after him and his friends going on a long journey while meeting new ones they finally arrive at the emperors palace so after a long battle and saruto and friends being defeated the emperor tries to go in for the kill but saruto got in the way and saved his friends so sarah being a white mage teleports them to a random forest this is where the game begins saruto be half alive ken in order to save his friend and grow more powerful decides to absorb his friend saruto so saruto must relive his past but while doing so god appears to give judgement to saruto and that's what i got  

GrieverSoft

What do the helper guys think of Managen for the name of the magical element?
I like pie.  The pie is also evil.

PhoenixFire

EDIT: I am also available for storyline creation, refinement, etc.. Simply PM me, and lemme know what you need. My specialty areas are: Legends, Lore, Fantasy, detailed items, town names and descriptions, character bios, and almost anything close to the aforementioned.
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Hatsamu

Quote from: GrieverSoft on May 23, 2011, 01:37:17 am
What do the helper guys think of Managen for the name of the magical element?

Its not bad. But my mind reordered the letters there and made me read "Megaman" at first glance o.o

I'm somehow fond with the "yte" at the end of the word for a crystal-like element, so I'd suggest "Managyte", (while Managen could work too, anyway)

mroedesigns

Let me know what you think I need to improve, thank you!

Spoiler: ShowHide
King Simeon Whyte ruled over the lands of Serran for 33 years before he was struck down. Third in his lineage, his family was well known for being great warriors, and even better leaders. They cared about their people, each and every one of them. But that's not the way it is any longer.
When King Simeon was killed, everything changed. Belro Avery was a well known villain, having desolated New Mill Haven but 4 years prior. But nobody thought he would ever dare challenge the King, nor His army. When Belro stormed the gates of the castle, there was something different about his army. Something dark in the eyes, the souls even, of the soilders.
They slaughtered anyone and everyone in their path, showing mercy not to child nor mother. When they finally got to King Whyte, his royal guard was tossed aside as if they were untrained rookies.
To this day, Belro keeps with him the dagger that ended the life and reign of the Whyte family.

PhoenixFire

Honestly, I don't think it needs anything changed at all. It's quick and to the point; Quite good for a quick intro I think.
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

mroedesigns

Quote from: DigitalSoul on June 11, 2011, 09:19:25 am
Honestly, I don't think it needs anything changed at all. It's quick and to the point; Quite good for a quick intro I think.

:O.o: Really? Thanks! haha.

PhoenixFire

Yeah, it's descriptive enough to start a game with, gives a little bit of backstory, and, is straight to the point.

mroedesigns

Well thank you very much! Any tips to expanding a story like this? I want to add more detail and expand on it a bit, but I've got writers block like no other.

PhoenixFire

Sure. Send me a pm with the whole storyline, and side stories you want in it.. Also, how you want the game to end, like, the final goal or mission, etc.

mroedesigns

Vell

If you need a second opinion, I can always be grabbed for a good bit of input.

mroedesigns

PhoenixFire

So, I don't see much activity on here... Bumping this topic...  Does anyone need storyline help?

Vell

When it's needed, they come here, when it's not, they don't.

So, like, yeah.

Shalaren

June 26, 2011, 01:11:39 am #277 Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 02:34:24 pm by Shalaren
Lmao need major help with this S:
Spoiler: ShowHide
QuoteShalaren is known to be the strongest magician in history, as he was the only magician that could use his life as pure energy to close the gates of the underworld, which were opened mysteriously that is.

In a world of magic that happens to forbid it there is an opposite universe known to be as the place for the damned, a place that be holding these cursed known to be demons, and there shouldn't be a way that exists to walk through both of these worlds, the one you were born in, is the one you are to stay, that was at least what the they all believed.

Magic is to be sealed away from the individual the moment he is to be born, Magic isn't learned, it comes in blood, and it comes in many different sorts. Those who caused magic to become forbidden are those who used magic for the wrong reason. Magic used to be a way of life, a way that has made living much easier, Traveling was faster, things could get done quicker and even more efficiently, but eventually it became dangerous as some have learned to use their powers for a bad purpose, and so the strongest of magicians have used their powers to create a seal upon all magic.

A seal so strong that can be used on every born child, a seal that is to exist for many years.
Only makes some people wonder, what could possibly go wrong with such a powerful seal as that.

The Varl are a group of people who their only purpose was to destroy the seal, they fought to bring back the freedom of magic. The members of the Varl were sealed just like anyone else, but they managed to get around that, a single individual cant do anything with that seal, but a complete army is a different concept. even thought The Varl were warned of the danger upon messing with the seal, but as Ignorant as they were, they messed with it anyway, and thats how The Varl was destroyed.

A strange dimensional gate appeared in the middle of the sky, dark figures begun to come out of the gate, landing on the earth like meteors that destroy everything around them, these dark figures were soon to be recognized as demons. Crushing earth and killing millions as more and more demons appear to come out of the gate, while underground seven Civilians were hiding from the dark creatures, secretly one of the seven civilians was a one who should have his powers sealed away from him, but appears to not as he casted a spell upon the others to make them unnoticeable by the demons.

The others should be scared of him, a criminal who has broken the rules, but instead they looked at him as their saviour, as their only chance to survive. The civilian seemed to know what has caused the gates to open and knew what to do, He told the others that there was a simple spell to force the gates to close, The others wondered that if so, why haven't anyone used it yet? None was even planning to use that spell due to its requirements.

Six civilians standing in a circle with the civillian inside casting the spell "To stop the murdering Knife, I agree to give away my life, as I turn into energy of pure protection, I will fight to heal and cure this Infection"
The spell turns the user's body into energy that will force the gates to close, but if the spells fails, the user will fade away as the gates stay open. The spell almost took over Civilian, Made him very weak and just when he was about to faint and fall, the six others Held him to support the spell, the last the civilian said before he was gone, is his name, "Shalaren".

As Shalaren turned into pure energy he made the earth lose a touch with gravity, surrounded the gate and forced every demon to go back inside. It took three days for Shalaren's energy to finally close the gate, leaving a mix of shalaren's energy and the underworlds energy up high the sky as the six civilians are still alive, but rather different. These civilians were gifted with extraordinary powers in which they used to recreate the society, searching for the few survivors and to build a new metropolis, a metropolis in which is named after the magician that has given his life to protect, Shalaren Metropolis was then made. And the six civilians called themselves, The Six Saints.

A strange mark was left in the sky after closing of the gate, and shalaren's energy was starting to wear off and the six saints knew they had to do something in order to prevent the gate from opening again, and so performed a spell to seal the gate and shalaren's energy inside a tree, a tree located in the center of the metropolis in order to protect it, and the six saints sealed away their powers as well in order to protect the metropolis from themselves, and the only way of reaching what inside is by naming all of the six saints, but the names are unknown. However, one of them had decided that in case magic is ever needed again, the enchantment for release of the powers should be recorded. And so, being a close friend of the king, he inscribed it on the crown, which he knew is passed down through successive kings.

I need help to make everything connect, if you know what I mean,
I was "able" to put the Varl in there, but they are not the only group of people that are in the story, I just dont know where or how they can fit there. all of these groups show in the game. thats why they need to be in the background too.

another Group are the Gilleruins, they are sort of Pirates that never grow old, they are more creatures then humans because they cant exactly think for themselves, they are lead by their Captain, he is their purpose in life. and at the oppening of the gates, the captain died, leaving the Gilleruins helpless, creating their new goal - to find a way to revive their Captain.

JellalFerd

June 28, 2011, 04:27:17 am #278 Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 05:24:32 am by JellalFerd
>>In a world of magic that happens to forbid it
lolwut
Just some comments/questions:
For instance: The Varl was destroyed. Fantastic. However, there's no real description on how they died. Just, 'they tampered with the seal that strong magicians created to stop magic from newborns, however this doesn't actually seal away magic, it just seals away the next generation's magic, which just makes these magicians look like huge ass hypocrites-' Er..., getting away from the point. Anyways, they tampered with the seal. Fantastic. How exactly did this kill them?

Actually, what did The Varl have anything to do with the plot at all? Isn't this about some hypocrites sealing away magic and then it comes back to haunt them as they can't defend themselves against those demons, but Shalaren Sue breaks the seal and seals away the demons. If the Varl turned out to be some future villains, I'd see why that's worth mentioning, but apparently they were all destroyed.

>>The others should be scared of him, a criminal who has broken the rules
Did I miss some back-story or something?

>>Shalaren is known to be the strongest magician in history, as he was the only magician that could use his life as pure energy to close the gates of the underworld, which were opened mysteriously that is.
>>He told the others that there was a simple spell to force the gates to close
lolwut yet again
QuoteFrank says:
But obviously they put on that shirt on in the morning.
Hmmm..
Booty shirts are nice.
Depends on the girl.
Jellal says:
booty shirts
lolwut

PhoenixFire

Quote from: Shalaren on June 26, 2011, 01:11:39 am
Lmao need major help with this S:

Other than what was already pointed out, did you have something specific in mind that you wanted help with? Or just generally making the storyline better...?