Author Topic: The Storyline Service. Worldbuilding, Plots, Characters & Internal Consistency!  (Read 80921 times)

Offline Shalaren

• Ethereal Devastator
  • LV: 46
  • Also known as DexKyle
    • View Profile
Re: The Storyline Service. Epic Stories.
« Reply #280 on: July 05, 2011, 01:28:09 AM »
(click to show/hide)
Mind pointing out the flaws?

Offline Vexus

• Ethereal Devastator
  • LV: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 13, 2012, 02:31:54 AM »
Is this thread still active?

I am currently writing a story for my new project and would like some insight from other people.

Thanks
Current Project/s:

Offline Vell

• Lexima Warrior
  • LV: 49
  • Doubt for the dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 13, 2012, 04:09:33 AM »
PM me what you got.

Offline Mystic Mage

• Trained Member
  • LV: 1
  • A boon I proffer to you. The gift of inspiration.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 19, 2012, 09:15:29 AM »
Hello, sorry, I was absent for a long time without notice. However, I do feel I can still help with any stories, names, lore, etc. now that I am back. I'm around so post here or PM me your concepts if you like.

Offline PhoenixFire

• Astral Trancist
  • LV: 6
  • ~That's an interesting notion, in it's own way~
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 27, 2013, 03:41:39 PM »
I am back as well, ready to help whomever needs it!
Next off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

anagura

« Reply #285 on: July 04, 2013, 09:15:50 AM »
Do you have any advice for implementing "fillers"?

I have my main plot points sketched out, but those alone would only amount to like 1 hour of gameplay.

I know the general RPG way of dealing with such things is have "episodes" built around certain characters, for example in FF7, Barret had his story in Gold Saucer, which lead into Cait Sith's story. A while later you find yourself in Rocket Town dealing with Cid's issues...

BUT, I only have one hero and one antagonist in my story... Kinda hard to draw ideas to fill up space when you're only following one character.

Another thing stories tend to do is "interruptions", eg: you're walking through a cave trying to find the "Holy Phallic Object of Doom" when all of a sudden, THE GROUND GIVES WAY! You fall into a pit of despair when you discover you're in a pit of PHALLIC SNAKES OF DOOM!

BUT, this can only happen so many times before you end up despising it as much as the 50 or so fetch quests you've been sent on. I guess I'm wondering... Are there any rules I should be following to allow me to see interruptions differently, the last thing I want is players comparing every twist to Team Rocket coming to steal their Pokemon or even annoyed that everything they do goes horribly wrong, or worse, expecting their next mission to go horribly wrong too.

One last thing, aside from these two examples of "fillers", do you have any other techniques to add play time to the experience, without messing with the overall plot too much?

NB: I acknowledge no one's responded here in a while, and while this may seem directed at Vell, anybody's input will be appreciated.

Offline Zexion

• Addicted to LoL
  • Chaos User
  • LV: 69
  • My anaconda don't...jk it does
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 04, 2013, 11:08:58 AM »
Well the way I planned on extending the actual game play without extending the story might be a bit different because it is kingdom hearts after all lol. I planned to add random puzzles like you might have to find your way through a cave maze, or go help out some random npc that has nothing to do with the story, but happens to be there. Make it an obstacle to actually reach the boss such as starting them at the bottom of a cliff having to find a way up through the inside, all the while having to avoid being damaged by random things that the boss has influence on. Another way is to extend cutscenes, but not by adding dialogue, instead add animations to characters, some camera movement etc. Mini-games can also add a bit to the play time, especially if you make them required to unlock powerful spells and attacks.

In-case you don't want to read all of that
  • Puzzles
  • Interactive Environments & Boss Battles
  • Cutscene Effects
  • Mini-Games

anagura

« Reply #287 on: July 04, 2013, 11:43:52 PM »
Thanks for replying. I love that boss idea, strangely enough, I've been wondering about boss fights lately too and how to make them more engaging & memorable. I'll definitely use something like this for one of my bosses as I'm trying to take a different approach with every boss.

My issue with puzzles & mini-games is, I don't want to frustrate the player, I'll try and implement very simple puzzles for progressing with the story, but I try to keep them optional, as you said to unlock a new weapon or something.

I'm more talking about the story, expanding it without ruining it, or changing it too much.

I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who has written stories or read/seen lots of them and has picked up a few methods of adding drama & making things more interesting but still holding true to the main plot.

I like your idea about helping out a random NPC, I'll try adding a few moments like this. I might even make the villain playable, switching character/story every chapter. That should add an hour or two to my game, lol.

Offline Shalaren

• Ethereal Devastator
  • Also known as DexKyle
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 13, 2013, 06:57:21 AM »
anyone still offering any service? I need a little help with writing the story for my project

Offline PhoenixFire

• Astral Trancist
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 14, 2013, 04:11:05 AM »
Yep, I am.

Offline Shalaren

• Ethereal Devastator
  • Also known as DexKyle
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 14, 2013, 04:40:52 AM »
Haha oh boy I dont know where to start with this...
ok this is some history of the world for my game
(click to show/hide)
which I had for a while, but to be honest... I am not happy with it at all S: it focuses too much about magic, and it just isnt that big of an emphasis, actually Magic is just another concept in the world just like anything else, the only difference is that a seal was cast on the world just to weaken magic generally, but I dont want an emphasis on that either! S: The seal isnt the only thing that was done to end the chaos, and the Chaos it self was only caused because of the eight to begin with. so its ok to have an emphasis that the eight used magic, and that they had to be sealed away since they were dangerous, but in a different way I suppose. there are 2 stories I need to built, a story of how the world became to be (as how the gods created it) and just general history of the world which is what this one is... so it needs to be along the lines of how the world was going in its natural rhythm, and then the eight discovered their powers (I am thinking of coming up with a different name for magic... S:) and from there crap began to happen, but emphasising more on events like the establishment of the Meastre, or the Shroud, and how the world changed.  I hope I didnt confuse you too much, but I need help reorganising this story, because I can't figure it out myself S:, I tried many different things but I just fail at writing so much x-x

incase you aren't sure what I mean about something just let me know, otherwise do you have any suggestions and ideas? :)

Thank you in advance!

Edit: I thought of making it easier by merging the stories together too, of explaining how the world became to be and the events that followed that
Here is a rough draft of the story about the gods
(click to show/hide)
which I hate I definetly need to think about something more creative x-x
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:44:06 AM by Shalaren »

Offline PhoenixFire

• Astral Trancist
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 14, 2013, 04:47:15 AM »
I hope I didnt confuse you too much,

uhm... Give me a little bit to sort through this, and I'll be less confused lolz. I think one story combining everything would be best to be honest.

Offline Shalaren

• Ethereal Devastator
  • Also known as DexKyle
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 14, 2013, 04:59:06 AM »
hahaha ok  :^_^':

Offline Vell

• Lexima Warrior
  • Doubt for the dead.
    • View Profile
Check the first page for the reimagining of this service.

As it stands I'm the only one around to help I know of.

Offline PhoenixFire

• Astral Trancist
    • View Profile
As it stands I'm the only one around to help I know of.

Me too.. Still around..

Offline Sylphe

• Transcended Spirit
  • LV: 3
  • Huunngrryyyy *o*
    • View Profile
D'you help with fresh new invented stories (only knowing the main frame of the story ) or only stories with deeply thought background charac etc ? ^^
blindly follow his heart can lead to the loss
(click to show/hide)
Sylphe, descendant of Zoldik Family.
Quote from: TedBear
TRY KEEP UP

Offline PhoenixFire

• Astral Trancist
    • View Profile
I help with both. New and fresh, or well thought out drafts; doesn't make a difference to me =)

Offline Vell

• Lexima Warrior
  • Doubt for the dead.
    • View Profile
Whatever you have, send to me (or phoenix) and we'll do what we can to help you expand.

Offline Zexion

• Addicted to LoL
  • Chaos User
  • LV: 69
  • My anaconda don't...jk it does
    • View Profile
I'm wondering if anyone would like to help me write an awesome story for the kh game. It can be as specific or general to the kh series as possible. I'm turning here because I've always had trouble with writing a story that wasn't generic. (E.g. Heros do x. Bad guys do y. Heros win.)
Though I'm no where close to actually plotting the scenes out, I'd like to begin working on outlines of the game that I can build upon. Which includes the story and scene plotting.

I have my generic story if you'd rather build on that, but I'd prefer something....different.

Offline PhoenixFire

• Astral Trancist
    • View Profile
I'll help.