The Storyline Service. Worldbuilding, Plots, Characters & Internal Consistency!

Started by Vell, January 07, 2008, 07:03:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

legacyblade

I'm thinking about restarting this. But I'd need to make a new topic so that I could actually edit the first post :P

winkio

Or ask blizz to extend your mod powers

legacyblade

Vell

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on August 02, 2009, 02:03:41 pm
Just add to this. If somebody comes by and says that this is his thread, you can still kill him.

*brutally assaults anyone tryin' to stop my takin' this over again*

Quote from: legacyblade on March 25, 2010, 03:53:27 pm
That'd take more typing though :P

But what would take even LESS typing would be to let ME have it back.

So. First new order of business.

I would like anyone who still is interested in helping to tell me so's I can add them to the list.

On Wednesday I'm going to go back to the first post and erase anyone who hasn't posted telling me to put them there yet.

Diokatsu

Now that I have no classes basically, I'll help.

prioran

I'd be willing to help out with this. It's the least I could do after pestering you guys for scripts.  :P

Lethal-Yarn

With finals ending soon, I want an idea for a short game that's going to be a BlizzABS-example game (though I suppose if I really like it, it could branch into a decently sized game).

I'm not really looking for a long epic or anything.  There's only a few specific things I want.

1) Main protagonist is female.  Young adult and inexperienced.
2) I want it to be a "Dungeon Crawler" type of game.  But in this short game, it would only be one or two "dungeons" where she has to adventure to. It would be slightly zelda-esque where there are rooms with puzzles and she needs to collect keys and items to further along her adventure (like boomerang for out of reach objects, bombs to destroy cracked walls).

What I really need is a motivation, and whatever her goal would be.  She could be an explorer, a thief, or someone who's trying to find the magic item of ultimate awesomeness for whatever plot demands it.

Just a short, interesting, and to the point sort of game.

Vell

Maia is a young adventurer with an odd hair color. She's relatively unknown throughout the land, but her dream is to become famous. In a world where even the vegetation wants to eat you, people have thrived by creating close-knit communities where everybody knows everyone, but Maia was always too adventurous to let such a small civilization hold her down. So she went to a more bustling city, where she learned of a special program. This was called the 'Adventurer's Set Program' and utilized magic in brave new ways. People who were born without the gift of magic, like Maia, were being infused with magical properties. Interested, the soon-to-be adventurer joined this program. One of the many, she was assigned to a group, and that's where we see her now.

Intel: ASP has identified the location of a mass hive of rapidly evolving bug-like creatures. Apparently, they are symbiotic with the local flora, and Maia's squad is assigned to assault this locale. They are to attack anything indiscriminately, and retrieve samples of the local fauna and plant life. Of particular note is anything from apparent leaders of the creatures. Good luck, and come back alive.

That's the first dungeon.

Intel: After analyzing the information retrieved by the several squads sent out to the recently named 'Firezones,' ASP researchers have discovered the location of a store of naturally occurring magic. It is in humanity's best interest to gain control over this well, before it is absorbed by the flora and fauna of the world. A worldwide rapid evolution would upset the natural order, and likely bring humanity to its knees. Maia's group will be one of many groups going out. You all will report under Sergeant Tucker. You have your orders. Adventurers, set out.

Groups: Typically organized in groups of four. They are organized so as to not have any individual leader. Whichever Adventurer is best suited to a task is likely to be the one deferred to in any given situation. Some groups have three Adventurers and a magister in their numbers.

Adventurers: A group of people experimented on during the 'Adventurer's Set Program,' they have quicker reaction time than the normal human being, are more capable of hand-to-hand combat, and occasionally very handy with ranged weaponry such as bows and crossbows. Side-effects of the Program are unknown, if there are any. The Program is relatively new, only having gone on for the past few years, and the loss of Adventurers has occurred only in the field. Reports in every case indicate reasonable causes of death - examples include goring by a bull-like creature, loss of limbs after being partially digested by a particularly overgrown plant.

WhiteRose

Quote from: UltaFlame on May 19, 2010, 06:32:11 pm
Maia is a young adventurer with an odd hair color.

Why do all characters you come up with have unusually colored hair?

Vell

Heh. They don't ALWAYS.

Though it's probably anime influencing me, despite how I haven't watched any in months.

Lethal-Yarn

@UltaFlame: Thank you very much, I appreciate it.  It sounds like a nice basis for a good BABS example game.  If you don't mind me also asking, could you just make up a short description for each of Maia's teammates?

Vell

Hmm, sure.

Malcolm: A dark skinned veteran adventurer, he prefers up-in-the-enemy's-face tactics. An intelligent, respectable person who, though he promotes violence, usually only acts on it in retaliation. Don't expect him to go charging blindly into a situation. In combat, likes to use either a heavy bludgeoning tool, or swift weapons to make the enemy bleed.

Michael: An average, nondescript man. Prefers staying back with a crossbow, but is also known to be skilled with staves of many varieties. Sort of the snarker of the group. Sarcastic, but he keeps a level head in tough situations. All around a dependable guy, but also something of a womanizer.

Quara: a latino girl. Flirts as a joke, and deals with stress by getting angry and blowing things up. A mage in the ASP, she is the party healer and mage. She's also businesslike and is usually the one who takes charge. She often gets frustrated with Michael due to his womanizing personality and sarcasm. One would think they'd get along, both being flirts...

Diokatsu

I don't see how people come here and expect the type of help that Ulta just gave to Lethal-Yarn and can still think of calling the story their own. Even if you cite Ulta or any of us as a source, we've essentially written the story for you.

Fallen Angel X

It depends. It might just be a bounce back session where we bounce our ideas off another person. People aren't always expecting help like this. Not to mention, this is most likely a prototype story. It'll be subject to change. So it's fair to take some credit for it.... assuming it does change.

Lethal-Yarn

@Dio:  Well, two things.

1. I didn't really care about a story for this particular game.  This is mostly the game I'm making to get the hang of BlizzABS.  It's more of one of those (short) games where you get a short amount of story at the start, then gameplay-gameplay-gameplay.

2. It's not like I'm 100% using all of Ulta's ideas, I think of it as a base of maybe how I should do things.  Even for this particular one where story isn't going to mean much, it gives me a direction at the very least.  Am I going to use everything I was given?  Most likely not.  Plus it's not like I'm going to say it's *my* story.

BUT that's not to say I wouldn't cite my sources.  And I wouldn't pretend I made it up (unless I made a shitload of changes and it becomes a whole different concept, but even then I would still credit).  But still, look at how much Ulta has given me.

A barebones structure of a story of person who enlists in a group that tracks down supernatural situations in the world.  Very vague concepts of the four main characters involved (the main character is a girl of different hair who loves adventure).  Assuming I don't change any of Ulta's idea, that's still a lot I'd have to think up of my own, anyway.

Anyway, that's my two cents about it.  Just in case you wanted to know my motivation for doing such a thing (even though I'm sure you probably don't care :P)

Diokatsu

I'm not critiquing you, I'm critiquing Ulta. So, yes, I don't care.

And even so, I'm not a believer in using other people's ideas, even vaguely, unless the purpose is parody or criticism. To incorporate the ideas for inspiration or even for background just says to me that you aren't cut out to make a game in the first place. Maybe I'm just better than everyone else though.

legacyblade

yay, less typing. I'll still help. I'd prefer PM. And I won't chew anyone out this time :P (sorry whoever it was I asploaded at, I'd just gotten dumped)

Lethal-Yarn

Fallen Angel X

Quote from: Diokatsu on May 23, 2010, 12:03:55 am

And even so, I'm not a believer in using other people's ideas, even vaguely, unless the purpose is parody or criticism. To incorporate the ideas for inspiration or even for background just says to me that you aren't cut out to make a game in the first place. Maybe I'm just better than everyone else though.

*cough*Load of bullshit*cough*

Lol, cmon, really dio? You make yourself sound like a major jerkass. Games are usually team projects so incorporating some ideas is completely acceptable. You can't go around saying crap like that just because he asks for help, lol. /ego

Diokatsu

Quote from: Fallen Angel X on May 23, 2010, 12:24:01 am
Quote from: Diokatsu on May 23, 2010, 12:03:55 am

*cough*Load of bullshit*cough*

Lol, cmon, really dio? You make yourself sound like a major jerkass. Games are usually team projects so incorporating some ideas is completely acceptable. You can't go around saying crap like that just because he asks for help, lol. /ego

Because RMXP team games always come out great. Oh, wait, that's right, they don't come out at all. The last good game I played was Namk's and he's a pretty original guy. And, I'm quite sorry that I'm just better from a creative standpoint than you are, but you have no reason to get frustrated with me.